Sporting KC player national team news [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't understand why a U-17 setup would call in a kid who is 17, post U-17 World Cup for a friendly tourney. There is no upside for the team, or the player, and Busio probably would have gotten 90 minutes against Portland, which plays at a crazy higher level than a youth team, so it actually is a downside for development.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pre-U17 World Cup. The World Cup is in October, this is their last set of games before the World Cup.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh, my bad. I thought they played that this spring. So my objections are more along the lines of under 17 stuff makes no sense for professionals.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% on MLS. FIFA dates are published well in advance and respected by every relevant FA. Friendly or not doesn't matter. For Felipe, he's nearing the end of his international career with a Chile group that has been together for many years. Every call up to play for La Roja and with that group matters to a player like FG.

MLS teams want internationals on their roster. The ones that are willing to pay for them shouldn't be punished during a playoff push, and that is 100 percent the Don.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agree minus the comment about this being Garber's fault. Really not his.

Especially considering the teams can choose to observe or not observe FIFA dates as they wish. I know the league is aiming to have no conflicts with international breaks, and this year might be the last (what with the compressed schedule due to the league start and end times accordioning with the new playoff format). I'm sure it will haunt us for a bit yet. But it looks like they're trying next season for an earlier start to the year. If that isn't a giant ball of suck, we might see another week or two tacked on at the beginning to enable league-wide observation of these dates.

Does also depend on the upcoming CBA negotiations, regarding the predetermined mandatory offseason length. Shortening that up a bit would help the league fall into line, though I imagine that's not really something many players are excited to see change.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if the busy stretch to end the season wasn't going to be hard enough.....

mschofield repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In a longterm view, this is a positive. Pulido was on the outside looking in with the Mexnats (two years since his last callup I think, and being selected while with SKC means he, at the very least, didn't become invisible in MLS. I know the point has been made before, but his callup is shout to players on the periphery of el tri looking to get back in. And, as it's el tri, i think it's a lesson that will resonant throughout Central and South America. I don't much care about national teams, but I would think this might make future recruitment easier, and the fact that it makes Pulido happy cannot be minimized.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulido not starting again for Mexico....

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Having heard today that Raul Ruidiaz is positive, going to quarantine where he's at, then come back to the States... requiring another quarantine period... which means he likely might miss the entire rest of the regular season?

That's a ton of bullshit we are receiving. I hope FIFA is thrilled.

Blando13 repped this.
  11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulido called up for friendlies in Europe at the end of the month.

mschofield repped this.
  12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does the US still have quarantine periods upon arrival from high risk Covid zone? I mean, Italy isn't that far south of Wiener Neustadt and at this point, you need an official note to leave your home for grocery shopping. They did a good job of managing Covid in this part of the world, but they're horrible at the vaccine part of this mess so it will linger longer here. Under normal circs, these matches wouldn't cost Pulido any SKC playing time, I don't think. April 17 is just about three weeks out. In any case, hope it goes well for him.. Given their injury problems, I'm guessing he might start.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CDC recommends 7-10 days of quarantine when you arrive home. The lower end if you're tested within 3-5 days of returning (which Pulido will be).

mschofield repped this.
  14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a disgraceful performance from the u23s ... again. such an embarrassment.

I wonder if Busio would helped.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm glad we will never know

16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could be on the next Olympic failure!?

IASocFan repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, we might know in another four years, but I didn't want him vanishing for a month this summer

IASocFan and Blando13 repped this.
  18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how they'll do it if they're just calling a big camp and will narrow it down later before games, or if they'll carry all 31 for the 4 games. They can only dress 23.

The games take place between 5/29 and 6/11, we only have 2 games during that stretch, weirdly against the 2 teams we just played 5/29 vs Houston and 6/12 vs Austin (the game moved from July for the Gold Cup)

21. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue about Mexico's situation, but I know the US will have a few players that can't make the "pre" Nations League friendly on the 29th (Pulisic/Steffen playing in Champions League final) ... and I imagine some will not be a part of the last friendly as well if they play in the 3 games prior. They're wanting to use this window to simulate the 3 game WCQ window's coming later in the year.

Why was the Austin game moved? I don't know that either team has many Gold Cup roster type players. I was hoping SKC would play a lot of games since I'm not sure we'll have anyone on a Gold Cup Roster.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd guess because KC is hosting the Gold Cup for a week they basically have to turn over the facility to US Soccer/CONCACAF for hosting. And the game against Austin fell right before the final game.

Blando13 repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, when you have to clear out the locker room and coaches office, it's a real pain to go in and back out.

I know NCFC/NC Courage are going through that this week with both the men's and women's College Cups at Sahlen's Stadium. Theoretically one of the teams could've played a home game this weekend, but operationally it would've just been a mess. Not to mention some of the changes to the stadium setup mandated by ESPN's coverage and the NCAA's rules.

It's just easier for everybody for the organization to pack everything up for a week and a half and have both teams play on the road.

Blando13 repped this.
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point ... but you'd think that facility is large enough to host both ... or SKC could spend a day or two at Swope ... either way, no big deal.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda scored on his international debut for Israel.

IASocFan, KopRules and mschofield repped this.