Sporting KC and The Cauldron in 2011 - The songs

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by szazzy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya that's fair. It just seems like when an idea gets momentum behind it, people should be asking how can we make this work instead of why won't this work and nitpicking things like "what will Seattle think" and "do we really want to be associated with Oz" and all that.

Someone should put together a prototype of how a song would work as a chant and then go from there.

2. Headcase

Headcase New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21HL2ijcjHo"]YouTube - Blackpool FC - Blackpool Dream - The Anthem (Unofficial)[/ame]

Just throwing it out there.

3. realmikethomas

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said the past I could be completely wrong about it, I just don't like it up front.. A prototype would be better than listening to Judy garland because doesn't get me pumped at all.

4. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies' version then? I think that is probably a more realistic attempt for a stadium anthem. No matter how much I think the sort of wistful, hopeful, Judy Garland version could be extremely cool if we could make it happen, I recognize that neither I, nor most of the rest of us, can carry a tune in a bucket or even a thermos..

Personally, I'm far more interested in player chants/songs than an anthem, but it wouldn't be bad to have something to open a game with. I'd be willing to give it a go.

5. realmikethomas

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some of my ideas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_hF31z130&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]Gummy Bear Song[/ame]

Anyone? No? Ok, it was worth a shot...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhpDjaLPVIQ"]Dropkick - Alcohol[/ame]

A little more on par with what we're actually thinking about.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO7S-Lm_CfE"]Chelsea Bouncy[/ame]
    Not an anthem, but fun when drunk.

Also, I'd love to do zigger zagger if anyones interested
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uv6iQFrglU"]YouTube - Zigga Zagga Shed 42 Chelsea Vs Bolton 06/07[/ame]

Sorry they're all Chelsea. They were my first love, so it's just natural to think of things you've been doing in the past.

6. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Dude, I get how you feel, but are you really going to give up that easily? Did you really think there would be no push back from anybody? I expected a lot more than this, and I consider that a fairly ringing endorsement. Just a couple of people have said, "Meh", and only one person, who we didn't even know existed until a couple of days ago, actively opposes it. In this forum, that still sounds like a consensus to me.

With all due respect, it's never happened, not because of what they are doing, but because of what you are doing. In the past, once there was a little bit of negative reaction, people gave up. Don't repeat the same mistake.

There are a lot more people out there who are just waiting to be told what to sing. Probably the majority are in this group. This is the right song at the right time, so let's make it happen!

7. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great attitude. I agree with RealMike and others that the Judy Garland version probably won't fit. IF we end up doing SOTR, the IZ Hawaiian Wonderful World mashup version is a great starting point. The "Ooooohhh" portion should be heavily incorporated, and everything should be slowed way down and simplified.

8. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hear you man, just got frustrated there for a bit.

9. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Count me in for "Over the Rainbow", one of my favorite versions is the one posted above. Just food for thought, but seems to me Over the Rainbow at kickoff as an anthem would be cool, then "What a wonderful world" as a stoppage time song when we win would be a good closer. Kind of bookends to the match. Would be cool if we could get in the habbit of having a couple of songs at set times of the match, make it a regular thing to get non-cauldron folks used to it and expecting it so they maybe start to participate. ie Over the Rainbow at the 5 minute mark, What a Wonderful World at minute 90. Doesnt have to be those two songs, but one or two songs at specific times may help it spread as the season(s) go on.

10. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is nobody really not using this? I can't imagine not. Maybe in years gone by. Some of you younguns might not know this but any wartime relatives will rock it. We could sub 'meet' for 'win' when we are losing HA HA

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Drw4aZhdT8"]YouTube - Vera Lynn[/ame]

Brutal teeth. I know for a fact dudes can sing this drunk or sober.

11. realmikethomas

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea quite a bit. Maybe there could be a song that we sing when the whistle blows to start each half and when it blows to end the first half. I know it has always been super awesome when at USMNT games 'God Bless America' is sung at 9:11 into the game. So yea, I agree this could be really cool.

What about the national anthem? We gonna sing that? Or is everyone against it because it's been done? Recently even. Just curious. I know none of us want to look like we've copied anyone.

12. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    No worries... we're here to pick each other up.

I love that song in Dr. Strangelove!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls"]YouTube - Dr. Strangelove[/ame]

Gets it.

13. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    i'll sing this. dr. strangelove is un********withable. and vera lynn is dope.

i haven't sung the national anthem since middle school because i'm a heathen commie terrorist. not sure if i know the words to god bless america either, but i do know the military dudes singing "god bless the usa" or whatever on the nfl draft a minute ago while crowdtards chanted "u!s!a!" were cracking me up...

we jam this at the yardie tailgate quite a bit:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1kAC2ClyU"]YouTube - wendy rene - bar-b-q[/ame]

p.s. as resident polynesian, i have to accuse you all of probably not being able say kamakawiwo'ole in the first place, haha...

14. realmikethomas

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Vancouver comes to town, can we please sing a re-written version of O Canada?? I gave the re-write a shot.

Kansas City!
    Our home and native land!
    True Wizards love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The Cauldron strong and free!
    From far and wide,
    Kansas City, we stand on guard for thee.
    Rob keep our beer glorious and cheap!

P.S. I like the Vera Lynn idea. Definitely changing meet to win. Ha!

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    CJ Sapong actually had a song contest on twitter and the winner's was simple. He chose the lyrics

Soooo Strong
    Saaaapong

Not sure the tune, but we could easily make something that works with this. We teased him with the Sa pong pa pa pa pa pong from the Thong Song, but I don't think he was feeling it.

16. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I love "We'll Meet Again" and it is very easy to sing. However, I get misty-eyed (I'm a sentimental sap, I admit it) when I play or hear it. I like SWOTR too, but this is a much better choice.

Another drinking/easy/fun one is "Show Me The Way To Go Home".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axfxAwhLQ0"]YouTube - jaws song[/ame]

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually tried that a few times, didn't go over that well, but may be worth trying again.

18. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    /facepalm

i was well on my way to forgetting sisqo and that song ever happened.

if we do we'll meet again, there is no reason to change the words. in fact, that makes it sound almost pathetic.

19. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Agreed.

I think the words should stay as they are unless there is some extraordinary situation that makes it feels right to change them on the fly.

20. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    bored at work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laOZ7HPu9yU"]YouTube - Clipse - Grindin[/ame]

about 02:20:

Sporting,
    You know that we'll keep on scoring
    Better show your support when
    You see Kansas City Sporting

21. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courtesy of my better half:

To the tune of "If I only had a Brain"

"We could wile away the hours
    with opponents all a-cower
    from the goals that we would poach
    but our heads we are a-scratching
    while his tactics all are crashing
    O if we only had a coach

We'd unravel any middle
    and not play second fiddle
    to any team you could name
    our defense would be stronger
    we could make clean passes longer
    if he only had a brain

O he should tell us why
    our tactics are so poor
    it is getting really hard to ignore
    He needs to sit and think* some more (* or perhaps 'drink')

We could not be just a nuffin
    his head all full of stuffin
    our hearts all full of pain
    we would dance and be merry
    all the trophies we could carry
    if he only had a brain"

Anyone have any modifications/suggestions?

22. JimK

JimK Member

Mar 9, 2008
    WaldoKC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Perhaps just the chorus? The chorus alone would be easy enough - and quite frankly, would be way cool. I like your connection between the "any day" line and Kansas City sports. So I think the real question is whether or not Szazzy can hit those high Richard Manuel notes.

23. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    gotta go for the low nina simone ones.

breaking gender stereotypes.