Sporting Kansas City v. Houston Dynamo , Saturday, March 7

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 1, 2020.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2020.
  1. Dynamo win

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. Does Mahomes play soccer? Whoops! He just scored again!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    silver lining?

maybe folks in the FO hit the panic button and get some real players in here

Dynam0 repped this.
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Its never gonna happen under current ownership.

Look at this starting 11. Is any player considered in the top half of starting players in the league at their position? Manotas maybe... anyone else?

3. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Damn!!! So tired of being an embarrassment. We look like shit, play like shit and get beat by shit.

CeltTexan and Dynam0 repped this.
  4. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree. KC has ownership that cares. this leads to a solid coach, veterans that contribute, 18 yr olds that have promise and high level skill players from mexico who can finish

we have owners who cross dress, veterans that weigh 80 pounds, 18 yr olds in the stands and have a legacy of mexican players named Landin and Cube

DonJuego and *rey* repped this.
  5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    and next week we play the defending MLS Cup champions that may be coming to BBVA undefeated.

CeltTexan, Dynam0 and 7seven7 repped this.
  6. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think not.

The FO has zero say in spending for real players. Ownership is totally in control of that and its Strategic Plan does not include significant investment in payroll.

Sporting Kansas City spent a reported $9.5 million to acquire Pulido. Our ownership will probably not spend that much on the entire team payroll.

If things don't improve they change management up and hope they've recruited enough "woke" suckers to go along with their "we have to give the new coach time to.... BS"

MLS needs to lay down the law and tell ownership to ante up or sell. The problem is there are now 6 owners - which would be akin to herding cats.

(in full disclosure this post was made after a number of Jamesons)

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked to me like it was 5 v 3or4 in MF. Our MFs are going to look bad there outnumbered in MF. Not sure it is there fault. Not to suggest there was not a quality cap as well. But the MF has no chance when the Fullbacks are playing poorly like nonight and they are outnumbered in MF.

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every coach under Jordan has had to say about road tactics "we play the same on the road!" "We play to win!" "We attack and play attractive attacking soccer!" And of course it works as well as it works everywhere around the world. You can do that shit with kids in youth national teams. Everyone admires you for it.

I just hope Tab can learn that this is different and be better learn to be hard to play against on the road, tight, and keep the game in front of you. Or he is going to lose a lot of games.

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now! Struna is one of highest paid defenders in the league. $1.2m/yr. Are you suggesting he is not a top-5 defender in MLS. Jordan assured us all he would be.

*rey* repped this.
  10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the back line clearly has issues and with them being forced to play high, they are left out to dry with no midfield help

the midfield is woeful at doing anything much less getting back to defend

if your scheme is to ask the backline to constantly sprint back to position when midfield turns it over then you had better get a faster line. we don't have that currently

the narrative can be pushed that the CBs are at fault for all the goals (and they certainly have their share of blame) but that leaves out the entirety of the context IMO. It's consistently 4 vs 6-7 in our final third and our midfield doesn't track back to help, doesn't track back to receive the ball and can't hold possession.

before anyone gets triggered, understand that I'm not arguing the backline is perfect or that they don't share in the blame. I just don't think it's reasonable to ask them keep a clean sheet when they are out manned and out schemed.

CeltTexan and DonJuego repped this.
  11. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's too early to definitively say where the team will be, but the early returns so far aren't good.

I'll echo that I'm doubtful how well the high-pressing system that Ramos has instituted will hold up, especially once summer hits. For those that haven't blocked out the Coyle era, he tried instituting a high-press too and while initially successful it ultimately fell apart as the season went on.

Admittedly Coyle's high-press was frenetic non-stop pressing and Ramos' system is more measured than that, but I'm still concerned.

Otherwise I think that there is just a gulf in talent that's hard to overcome, particularly with Elis and Quintero not starting. Quintero showed flashes of talent in his limited minutes, but we need him to be a 90 minute DP level player, not a very expensive version of Vicente Sanchez.

Don't think there's any more need to go into how the midfield and backline just aren't very good. Will say that I'm not impressed with what I've seen of Maric in his first two games.

7seven7, *rey*, Ethos and 1 other person repped this.
  12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    People like to make excuses, sorry, but I just watched deGea save an angle shot from Sterling in many ways identical to what Pulido scored. The second goal he’s slow to react off his line. I think we have eroded from a hustling money ball team with strong keeping to a full money ball 11. I know the conventional wisdom is don’t spend DPs on defense and keeping, but this is a team that needs an edge, someone who can by sheer dint of effort keep us in games we don’t otherwise belong in. The keeping has sucked for years and then our cheap team gets punished for most every mistake they make. This is ill considered.

Not only is Maric dumb but Cropper’s stats are worse than Willis. Who picks these people.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #38 juvechelsea, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    SKC and Houston both sucked last year. One team put money in talent. The other team kept talent and changed coaches. QED.

We used to be the disciplined team that could keep SKC honest and expose their risk-taking. We now play them end to end which is not flattering of our roster in relative terms.

7seven7 repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Re the Memo and Mac comments, yes, and to elaborate, we are picking based on quasi USMNT abstract theory then playing the ones who theoretically fit the scheme. With our injuries you should want Ramirez starting. I don’t think a back to goal guy fits Ramos’ idea of scheme. We’d rather play second rate technicians than get the best XI on the field.

Victory of theory over fact. Be real, this bunch, you would not be trying to score goals tiki taka the ball upfield then heading It in. Nor do high pressing, high and extended lines, and exposing this defense and keeper make sense. To play the way Ramos wants you need a different set of people and bluntly a freer checkbook. Similar to GB and his NT possession theories. You need possessors to possess. You can’t make a sloppy honest team into Barca or Liverpool.

Cause to me I am watching a poor defense exposed, and then an honest but second rate offense that can sometimes get the ball forward, but gives it away a lot, struggles to create real chances, and then doesn’t have the right people in positions to finish them.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think this 433 with pressing is a snobby risky punch down formation and we have the payroll and personnel to punch down on few teams. I have no particular attraction to slick (or attempted slick) but losing soccer. I think going end to end with the best only exposes we spend less, and the press when beaten exposes the defense.

My two cents this is like we brought back Coyle.

16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That was mostly self inflicted. Cabrera started out with the same high press attacking style in his early days. There was initial success, then teams figured it out and started making the Dynamo pay (plus heat started kicking in and it is almost impossible to keep that up for a full game). Cabrera realized he didn't have the personnel for that style and switched to counter-attack.

Tab is going to have to figure out the same thing. There is zero speed in the back line. Last night the fullbacks were consistently caught well upfield and the midfield lack the pace and quality to consistently get back and plug the gaps. The Galaxy aren't particularly fast, but I said after that game that fast teams will kill us. SKC was much quicker and particularly once they began playing a counter style with the lead began to absolutely chew the Dynamo up.

It may be boring, but only chance this team has is bunker and hit on the counter using the pace of Elis, Manotas and Quintero (though a few teams last night it was obviously he's, not surprisingly, not as fast as he once was.

Also don't think that once you get Quintero and Elis in their as starters, you can count on them to press aggressively and consistently which just exposes your weaknesses even more.

Varus and *rey* repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Have they changed the rule on injured players have to go to the sideline? Are they only enforcing it if the trainers come out?

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I agree re Elis and Quintero. The offense will be more punchy and might take some edge off opposing attacks because team defenses have to take us more seriously, but they aren’t defensive forces and the press simply exposes us. So maybe we have a chance at winning LAG but we still lose last night. And over the course of a season that isn’t good enough.

I mean, this should all be nothing new. Like he’s saying, we already learned this lesson. The only difference I see so far is how we attack, trying to set up triangles and work it some through the middle, as opposed to launch wide and run.

And even that is debatable because I don’t think we’re all that technical to go possession. We give away the ball in the midfield. Or we get to the final third and can’t find space. Only the second half of that changes with current player health.

I mean, in terms of the current roster, how are we trying to score? Try to cross but get blocked. Try to cross but no one there. I see the concept to get upfield. I don’t see the scoring idea. What is it we are trying to do? I say this because if you were trying to score goals with the healthy people you’d get Christian and Manotas on the field same time and play more balls on the ground.

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Well, at least Maric is showing us what he always was: a 2.5 GAA goalkeeper.

i agree with @DynamoManiac that the only hope this lineup has of winning games are corners, counters, own goals, and ugly-ing up games.

7seven7, ElNaranja and DynamoManiac repped this.
  20. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weird to say that I think Arnaud hit on the right approach at the end of his interim tenure last season? Not trying to say he was a great coach, but the rigidly organized 4-4-2 with Manotas and Ramirez up top was something that could have been built-on.

CeltTexan, 7seven7 and DynamoManiac repped this.
  21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maric looks slooooooowwwwwwe!!!!!

Dude who spent the last three years playing on loan for a bad Swedish team's best offer comes from the Dynamo. The story that he was highly sought offer always cracked me up. If that were true, he wouldn't be here. All of Europe had ample opportunity to see him.

DonJuego, 7seven7, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's why they kept it so damn vague. Didn't mention that the Bundesliga team interested was probably someone who needed a keeper for their II team in the 4th tier of German football system.

23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Otherwise between Elis, Manotas, Quintero and Ramirez, someone needs to go in favor of being able to improve the midfield. It's nice to have one of those guys available off the bench if you're a complete team. If you have significant holes, then it is a waste.

Ronaldo Pena probably also needs to go. On season 3 with the Dynamo and his third different coach (counting the Arnaud period) and still can't crack the 18. Then he dropped what looks like a pissy tweet last night. If three coaches have deemed you not good enough, that's on you not on them.

Fuenmayor probably needs to go for the same reason. I'm with JC on the concept that you can't keep these guys around forever, if they don't crack the lineup then you dump them and get your next moneyball guy. I just differ on how long you give them. Say more than 3 months, less than 3 years.

DNez2001 repped this.
  24. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Assuming full health, a full season with a young player should be enough for any competent person to judge their potential, and if they'll reach it

We have Jordan as GM sssoooo.....

25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Link to Ronaldo Peña tweet?

notice we’re naming deficiencies of players that Jordan played up to be monsters: Fuenmayor, Peña, Lundqvist, Maric, Tomas, etc.