Sporting Kansas City in the Media

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by hipityhop, Jan 17, 2011.

1. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Re: Sporting Kansas City in the Media: 2011

Bukaty loves Arsenal. Loves them. He likes Sporting and soccer a lot.

Klinkscale has been recently genuinely interested in the game and came w/Bukaty to watch a few Arsenal matches this year.

Kietz says he wants to like soccer, but really doesn't, ATM. I do give Kietz credit that he's not so completely closed to it that he could still one day have that Eureka moment.

Petro thinks he understands soccer somewhat, but doesn't. Like Adam said, if he started to gamble on the game, he's smart enough to learn quickly.

The team gets decent coverage, but it often feels like it is paid for. I'm guessing they pay a considerable amount each year in advertising through 810 so those who don't like soccer at least have to fake it in their company's best interest. A small mortgage company in town that I do work for spends around 100k per year to advertise on the station.

It'd be nice to see everyone hop on board out of interest rather than self-interest if the team makes a good push here in the last half of the season.

2. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd actually take Nick Wright over Jim Rome any day of the week. Even if Jim Rome talked exclusively about KC.

He has to be one of the single most redundant men on radio. He just repeats himself OVER and OVER and OVER again.

I remember when he was talking about Hines Ward getting a DUI and said literally (and I really do mean literally, this isn't an embellishment) at least 15 times that, "its not a good look for him". No shit its not. But after he said it the 15th time, I turned to my brother and jokingly said, "Dan, I don't think its a good look for him" and on cue, Jim Rome immediately followed with that exact line. He does this crap all the time along with his pseudo hip phrases. Also get tired of, "the clones" thing. The people that call in saying they're "rabid clones" remind me of Juggalos, who are admittedly still worse. Much worse.

I will give Jim Rome credit for often having great people to interview, but he has the money and reach to do it.

But no man is dumber when it comes to soccer than Glenn Beck. Holy bejesus he's a moron, especially when it comes to soccer.

3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Wait, you listen to Jim Rome?

4. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahaha, nah, not intentionally. I like to listen to the Royals post-game when i get off work and I often leave it on 610 when i turn off the car. Thus when I get in the car the next day, he's on. I usually get fed up with him pretty quick and change the station (the receiver for my mp3 player is broken).

My brother and I were just having a laugh when he was repeating himself about Hines Ward.

5. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Its called American exceptionalism. Its a character trait that Kietz is not shy to claim.

Jarnevic's reference to the golf course and bud light is spot on.

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pipe dream... but i'm with you that it'd be nice to see.

fyp. jim rome is the scourge of sports talk radio.

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Comparing Nick to Jim Rome isn't fair. Rome is impossible to listen to, and I'm not sure why 610 continues to carry him. But Nick Wright has some good stuff to say. I will qualify that by saying that you'll only value him if you want Chiefs and Royals info.

8. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't the one that made the comparison. I just said in response to the comparison I'd take Nick over Rome any day of the week. :)

9. fahrenheit

fahrenheit Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Lenexa, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Talk about damning with faint praise.

10. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

I find it interesting that Sinovic is so low considering the team hadn't lost a single game that he started until Saturday.

12. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Outside backs probably don't get nearly as many 'points' in terms of when blocking crosses or otherwise preventing the ball from coming in, whereas central defenders probably end up with a lot more in this fashion since they are the ones blocking shots and intercepting crosses and the like.

Sinovic is great defensively and _is_ doing better offensively, but comparatively between he, Harrington and Myers, Sinovic is easily 3rd in terms of being an offensive threat. Which isn't a bad thing, but I'm sure that this is where Myers gets his rating from.

13. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yeah -- I think he may well be our most under rated player right now.

I don't think the 'it finally worked' Harrington step over is dazzling enough to claim 2nd. :) I think people overlook simple and effective over flashy and unproductive frequently ... Harrington had some great assists last year but I haven't seen much of that this year. Sinovic came desperately close to scoring a game or two back, I remember him doing so much more in his 700 and some minutes than Harrington has in his 1700.

Chance is #1 by a country mile.

14. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since his first minutes playing professionally, Harrington has never been afraid to run at players. That is something that a lot of American players and even MLS players overall seem to lack and I find it frustrating as hell. That is probably the thing I most admire about Harrington.

15. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO

Not HUGE news by any means, but rather important to me personally....

Casa De Loco winery, a local winery at the lake, sent out their monthly newsletter yesterday. In it they had a picture of the staff at LSP and a breif write up and announcement that their wines would be made available at LSP! Like I said, not big news, but good to see something come out of my local market!

http://www.casadelocowinery.com/

Shameless plug for them, but the place is a great place to get away for a weekend. Their rooms ( all 4) are amazing and have $20,000.00 showers in them!

16. Jweav24

Jweav24 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Per Terez Paylor on twitter:

"Just learned #SportingKC defender Daneil Cyrus will likely miss the rest of the season with a foot fracture. More to come on kansascity.com".

17. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And the hits just keep on coming......:(

I guess Espinoza could be an emergency CB since he did it in Chicago. Have I mentioned lately that I'm glad Farm Aid is this week? Good lord....

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any chance of Shavar leaving this season are likely out the window now.

20. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about the Comets, or the T-Bones, or the Brigade, or any of the other minor sports at the 3 Universities, or UMKC, etc. Relax, it's a fluff piece worth nothing.

And the fact that someone's calling for Pete to be fired may be the stupidiest comment, considering he's the only one that even tried to give soccer a fair shake up until recently.

22. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That entire article is absolutely rediculous. The royals are pitiful, the chiefs won a terrible conference and got destroyed in their playoff game.

And then you have three colleges that AREN'T EVEN &*^$##$ IN KANASAS CITY. I like college sports, but the KC population trying to take ownership of any of them drives me batshit. Manhattan is a 2 hour drive from KC. That's geographically like Philladelphia claiming the Baltimore Ravens winning the super bowl as their own. sigh.

Oh yeah, it's also a shame that SKC isn't an option, considering I would say that they are the only actual top tier KC team that is within a lightyear of winning anything. (other actual options...the brigade/command?)

edit: in regard to Buzz post, I'm not sure I would consider minor league teams...though I would rather have them than KU/KSU/MU

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And soccer is still a minor league sport in this country. Despite what the league name says.

24. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, by minor league I more meant not the top tier in this country for that particular sport. MLS, while not a "world class" league is still the highest level of soccer in the United States.

The T-Bones, on the other hand, are not. They are my definition of a minor league team.

25. DirtyStriker

DirtyStriker Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Basehor, KS

Definitely unfair to Pete, a simple search shows he's not against us.

The interesting part of this for me is how one sided the comments are. If this happened last year there would of been some comments posted about the Wizards not being on the list but they would of been over ridden by comments about soccer sucking and the Wizards not being major league. Also its kind of cool last year there's no way we would of been mentioned in the same group as the rest of those teams. This year though while we are certainly the smallest of those names I think we fit with them.