Sporting Kansas City II (formerly Swope Park Rangers) Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Blando13, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree ... wouldn't be completely shocked if a "pop up" PHX/SAC style stadium goes in Des Moines.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could expand Crownie where Drake plays. Or they could be another team in a baseball stadium and play at the I-Cubs stadium...

Blando13 repped this.
  3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they have options. Heck, are they the next FC Cinci and can play at Drake's Football stadium (the answer to that is no, but I guess it's another option).

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they could, I thought with the track it was too narrow, maybe not

5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be correct, it could be Taft Stadium, OKC.

What if SKC "sold" the D2 "franchise" to Des Moines at a discount (rumors are they are selling for $5M). USL's President (Jake Edwards) has said they are capping D2 (didn't specify when or at what number), and could be encouraging MLS2 teams to "sell" the franchises and buy a D3 franchise (obviously much cheaper).

With Orlando, the rumored FC Dallas D3 and a few others, I think the "level" of play drop between D2 and D3 is going to be "overstated" a bit as well. And it sounded like there could be a USL Cup of some sorts as well, which would be interesting since MLS2 teams can't play in the US Open Cup. That would give the D3 MLS2 teams a chance to play some D2 level games.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Swope Park Rangers are dead. It's now Sporting KC II. The stupid "2" branding has come to KC.

7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lame ... but for skc, it's now par for the course.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Celtic fan I never liked the Rangers name. :)

11. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the use of a Roman numeral unique and classy ;)

On a serious note, I always though that the SPR logo was super cool. I need to find some of their swag before its gone.

mschofield and Blando13 repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors that Philly, Orlando and Portland all dropping from USL completely. I hope this isn't a "MLS Reserve" league situation ... and if it is, I hope they don't dictate that ALL teams go there. I'd rather drop to League 1 than all the way to MLS Reserve" ... you can't help but say league wide that the USL connection has helped teams get guys pro minutes younger and more prepared for MLS minutes. The trends are amazingly positive in that regard ... why move away from it?

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, and I'd guess based on his prior comments, PV is as well. Can't wait for someone in the front office for one of the teams to suit up with the "reserve" team.

Blando13 repped this.
  16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it if teams want to just have a U23 team in the MLS Academy NEXT thing or whatever, but some teams should be allowed to stay in USL. Although, I'd rather our SKC2 team be younger and potentially drop to League 1 at some point ... I see no reason to have the Dillon Serna's of the world. I get that we may need to sign him to SKC right now ... but wouldn't a USL player that is done with their USL season also be available to sign? Like can we go sign Tyler Pasher from Indy now since their season is done if we don't have someone that's more of a "long term" signing from SKC2 at a position of need? No reason Dillon Serna's playing for SKC instead of St. Louis or another team IMO. I'd have rather seen an Academy kid playing for SKC2 (like Nati Clarke) than Dillon Serna. And if that isn't happening because we needed to be more competitive in USLC ... then drop to USLL1.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could get a player like that on loan (LAFC just acquired former SPR player, Mark Segbers on loan from Memphis) most of the contracts are through the end of the USL season or end of the year. Since the USL season is still going on technically they'd need to be a loan.

At the same time I think something can be said for having a veteran leader regularly on the team like Serna and Duke. I'd argue that's something that SKCII was missing last season. I don't have a problem with a couple guys like Duke and Serna on the team.

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right, but a couple is plenty, I think we had too many in the first few years of SPR. Granted, we got to the championship game and all, but I'm not sure that's the point. I'd rather be giving minutes to a young Felipe Hernandez than an older Christian Duke ... but understand that if we don't have those players internally ready, we need to go outside and find them. I like having guys like Harris, Freeman, Rad, Davis getting minutes more than the Serna's. And if that means we need to be in League 1 for it to not be demoralizing, then that's fine. Rather they play than having a guy like 25 y/o Hadji Barry or Belmar. We've slowly gotten younger and I would rather it stay like that.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you had a pretty good balance with this team this year, you had Serna and Duke as the main elder statesmen on the team and the only other player 24 or older on the team who wasn't an SKC loan (for 1 game this year) was Camden Riley, who turned 24 late in the season. Those 22-24 year old guys are guys the club would normally bring in on trials for potential end of the roster guys. Now they just sign them to SKCII, see if they have it, if not they move on to the next player. Belmar for example was one of those type of players who started at SPR/SKCII and moved up to the first team.

Blando13 repped this.
  20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan repped this.
  21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also signed Jahon Rad to a pro contract

Blando13 repped this.
  22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J Rad plays the 6, and K Rad's the CB, correct? I honestly don't know their upsides.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. K Rad arguably has the higher ceiling.

Blando13 repped this.
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone here heard if Aiden Stanley actually signed an MLS contract with Austin FC? If not I presume he'd be back with SKC2? If he does sign with Austin FC, does SKC2 (or SKC) get anything from them or "keep his USL rights"?

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has not signed yet, neither has Judd, who was drafted by LA. My understanding is if they want to sign him the USL contract would be voided.

Blando13 repped this.