Sporting in the black

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Excellent Job by most teams in Portugal. That is now 4 teams

Porto, Braga , Sporting, and Leira. It is more then you can say about other bigger leagues ( ITALY )

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    don't forget Beira-Mar, the longest run 5th year in a roll

I don't think Leiria made money, I have to see there report

3. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    well congratulations, or not? buys like Pinilla..oh well

4. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In the black and they have a new stadium. This is a job well done by a SAD that has been heavily criticized lately.

We all know how difficult it is for teams to make money without doing well in European competitions.

But they have averaged over 30,000 fans per game and that helps.

They also dumped alot of their big contracts. (i.e. Paulo Bento, Rui Bento, Joao Pinto, etc..) Pedro Barbosa also resigned for less than he was earning last year. They also have most of their youth tied into long contracts.

Plus Barcelona is picking up the majority of Rochemback's contract and Newcastle is still paying Viana, all of this helps.

In closing it doesn't hurt that over the last couple of years that have sold the likes of Quaresma, Ronaldo and Viana.

5. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    And what's more impressive is that you still have time and money to do a lot of charity and social work...

just look at Sá Pinto and Niculae... it is really touching to see the effort that Sporting is putting to recover those poor crippled guys.

Well done.

6. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    It would have been a real suprise if they had not made a profit.
    Sporting has been made recently as a team to generate a profit not to win championships. It's the old Build and sell. you know players.

7. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Touche. It goes to show that the club has a vested interest in their players and their health. What, did Porto not do the same with Derlei? I don't understand the sarcastic tone of your post...

Anyways, selling young players like Ronaldo, Quaresma and Viana does help put them in the black, but they need to continue to sell younger players and keep the payroll down, and they will always be in the black. Not bad for a team that paid for their own stadium, built an Academy, and keeps churning out young star after star...

8. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well Said Forca, what should SCP do abandon their injured players. Particularly Niculae is still very young and anything he can give us is gravy. Keep in mind that they acquired him for practically nothing and he doesn't earn a whole lot.

He still has time to overcome his physical problems and in the future be a great player.

9. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I still think that Nicu can be a good player. He needs some luck and some bounces to go his way. You also bring up a good point, Juve - they got him for next to nothing, so it's not like they wasted some 5 million Euros on him and got nothing in return. If anything, even if he never plays again, he still got the only goal against FCP in Week 1 of the 2001/02 season to win, so he has done well in my book ;)

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yep, if he never does anything else...that goal will always be special in my heart.

Also do you remember the goal he scored against Milan in the Uefa cup? He showed flashes of what he can do. He also has played well when called up to the Romenian National Team.

11. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was going to night school during that year and SCP got the goal to make it 2-1 Milan in aggregate (game wasn't done, of course). I was in an Italian pub and when he scored, I went ballistic. I seriously thought that they would've tied in and gone to extra time or even penalties. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be...it was an amazing game, though, full of emotion.

Nicu never has realized his potential...he isn't an out-and-out striker, but his left foot is lethal and he is a great decoy for the matador type of striker. Him and Jardel did really well together because defenders couldn't double team either one of them, they had to be wary of both and spread the defenders against both.

12. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Well... Derlei is playing. When will we have the privilege to see Sá Pinto and Niculae in Sporting's starting 11 again? :D

It also ruins your chances at wining anything which should be any club's main concern. What's the point of having a great financial strategy if you ruin your team every year?

In my personal opinion... Sporting sells itself CHEAP and it doesn't get much in return... certainly not in results. Perfect example: the Cristiano Ronaldo deal... on the other hand you have Benfica's example with Miguel... they refuse to let him go because first they want to win anything, second they trust their player to increase his value (playing for THEM!)
    That's the right way to go IMO.

And what is it with your fixation with Sporting paying their stadium? Porto also payed for it... it's not that big a deal! Both clubs were planning to build new stadiums before EURO, so it's kind of normal that they were prepared to pay for it. However in both cases I think the government helped with a part of the money anyway (I heard 25%).

I say congratulations to Sporting for having their money under control... but I suppose Sporting stock holders dont invest in Sporting for a profit. For that you have plenty of other businesses. They do it to help the club win... and you're management has done a lousy job at that.

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Only the ones that suck.
    Sa Pinto
    Niculae
    Hugo
    Pedro Barbosa
    ...well... just hang on to Rochemback and build from there... :D

and that's exactly what you're going to get when you sell him... to Beira Mar or some other crap team like that.

Mr. Glass? I wouldn't bet on it...

14. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Niculae will come back shortly. As for Sa Pinto, well, his time may be done, however time will tell.

Sporting got 12 million Euros for a fresh faced 18 year old that played 1 year of top flight football. Manchester paid that amount for potential, and they were convinced after his play against that SCP x Man Utd friendly. CR blew up due to his play with Man Utd - I highly doubt that he would be the player that he currently is if he were with SCP last season, because comparing the EPL to the SuperLiga is like comparing apples to oranges. So, they took the opportunity to cash in while the commodity was hot. For SLB's sake, I hope that Miguel continues to be the force that he is. If so, he will give SLB a huge windfall. If he gets injured, they lose out on tons of cash and have egg on their face. In the end, you are damned if you do, damed if you don't.

Alvalade XXI was privately financed. No government support here. SCP was the only team prior to the Euro to have their stadium plans in check - every other team only made plans after the EURO 2004 announcement. Why is it a big deal? Try coming up with 100 million Euros. Maybe it's chump change for you, but not for most.

Thank you for the lovely comments on Sporting and their current business practices. When you're on top, it's easy to put your nose up high, I suppose.

15. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think sometimes you don't give your posts too much thought...

In your profile it does state that you are located in Lisbon but are a fan of Porto, so that explains alot...:D

Sometimes we are all a bit confused:confused:

16. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    8 Million will suddenly turn to about 30-40 million in another 2-3 years with the youngsters. Sporting are a real standout club, but the thing is they don't hold on to success consistently, it's more of an erratic 3-5 years when they do win something.

17. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

Well, in your location says "Alvalade XXI" so unless you're living in one of those booths in the Stadium I wouldn't talk much.

18. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Don't be so damn defensive, I just gave my personal opinion and it has nothing to do with Porto's current finances or Porto's recent success. I even gave a comparison with a Benfica player so that you understood it has nothing to with that.
    I may not like Sporting's president or Liedson, but I can still give credit to the club that produced guys like CR, Quaresma, Capucho, Figo, Simao, Futre, etc... And that brings me exactly to the point I was trying to make.... You see the names that left your club and you would expect Sporting to be winning year in and year out! That doesn't happen because Sporting is always too eager to sell.
    Who knows how CR would develop?! You sold him after a presentation game at the begining of the season!!
    One thing I tell you though... at 19, and with his obvious talent, he was a safe bet. Much safer than your beloved Niculae.

19. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks for noticing, I do have season tickets [Gamebox] and there is no place I would rather be.

Lugar de leao....Section 2

20. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    420 milhões de passivo total

UM passivo total consolidado de 420 milhões de euros (84 milhões de contos). O número, revelado ontem por Rui Meireles em Assembleia Geral e corroborado depois pelo presidente, foi desdramatizado por Dias da Cunha, que garante que o património e activo do Sporting «é superior». Ainda assim, isso não impediu a perplexidade de muitos dos sócios presentes, que viram ainda o presidente exaltar-se a respeito de declarações depreciativas que terá feito ao comportamento de adeptos em jogos do clube: «Sou presidente de todos os sportinguistas, mas não sou presidente de quem me trata por filho da p...», foi o momento mais emotivo da noite.

Na conferência de imprensa que se seguiu, Dias da Cunha confirmou os 420 milhões de euros com uma tranquilidade desconcertante. «Não, não é preocupante, nem melindroso.
    Tem que se comparar esse número com o activo total do Sporting. Esses 420 milhões são um número consolidado do Grupo Sporting, informação adicional que já vos podemos adiantar. E não éramos obrigados a fazê-lo, penso até que seremos o único clube... Garanto que o activo total do Sporting é muito superior, e que a situação líquida consolidada é absolutamente positiva. O activo total, não vos posso indicar o número, mas é seguramente superior. É objectivo desta Direcção apresentar um balanço consolidado no próximo exercício», afirmou o presidente do Sporting.
    Durante a Assembleia Geral, Rui Meireles adiantara que o património do Sporting cresceu, em dois anos, de 168 para 312 milhões de euros, ainda assim abaixo da dívida total desvendada ontem, perante o silêncio incrédulo da plateia. Por isso, não estranhou que as contas do exercício do clube, relativas aos 11meses entre Agosto de 2003 e 30 de Junho último (lucro de 8,2milhões de euros), fossem aprovadas já perto da meia-noite, por larga maioria dos 250 sócios presentes: 1747 votos a favor, mas com 99 contra e 180 abstenções, um cartão amarelo justificado pelos omnipresentes 420 milhões. «O mais importante é garantir uma exploração equilibrada, e isso já estamos a conseguir. Essa é a garantia que os bancos nos exigem e que estamos a cumprir. Aliás, quando concluirmos a reestruturação da dívida com os bancos deveremos abater, logo, 200 milhões a este número. Em 2006 deixo o Sporting com a exploração equilibrada», disse Dias da Cunha, depois de, na AG, desmentir que a expressão «energúmenos» tenha sido por si endereçada a adeptos do Sporting e exaltandose: «Sou presidente de todos os sportinguistas, mas não de quem me trata por filho da p...», atirou do palanque. «O problema é de quem me insulta», concluiu depois a propósito.

21. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    So THAT'S how you payed for the stadium!! :D

22. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    “200 milhões de euros vão ser liquidados logo que o Sporting renegoceie o seu financiamento e é bom não esquecer que o clube tem como garantia, o novo estádio, a Academia de Alcochete e todo o património. Isto além de apresentar uma exploração com sinal positivo”.

-Quote from Dias da Cunha addressing the large amount of liabilities currently on the board during the General Assembly of Socios.

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And by recent success, you do mean this season right? I mean, come on, Porto is off to a dream start! </sarcasm> Seriously though, a team who disposed of a coach after 3 weeks definitely says alot. Also, a team with some of the same stars who won the CL last year (maniche, costinha, Derlei) can't produce anything this year. As for selling top players, you must have forgotten about Deco, Ferreira, and Carvahlo right?

24. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Damn that's a lot of money :eek: