Sporting CP Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Oct 31, 2018.

1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Thanks, that's insightful. That incident with Nouri would affect any squad. Hopefully we give him some time to implement his ideas.

6. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Hopefully he can bring some attqcking soccer. I think Marco Silva is the only manager in my lifetime thats had that mentality at Sporting.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So you forget about Jardim?

Hell, even Peseiro brought attacking soccer in 2005.

8. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I honestly dont think Jardims soccer was very exciting, just super well organized and smart. Fantastic manager no question about it though. He played the best that was possible with what was given to him.

9. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's fair and he did have a good attack. That being said, in my opinion, JJ first year was the best attacking soccer I've seen in last 10 years or so. That 2015/16 team scored almost 80 goals that year.

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Speaking of JJ, he wants to return to Portugal when his contract is done in the summer at Al Hilal.

I doubt he comes back to SCP, unless Keizer is a total flop and gets canned.

Rumours swirling that LFV wants him again at Benfica but the fans there hate him.

My money's on Porto. Conceicao might want to try another league and PDC has been stalking JJ for years.

11. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    JJ said this from the beginning he would return after one season to Portugal.

It's interesting as to were he ends up. For a while I was convinced he would be returning to SCP with Varandas. but i wonder now. Trying to make sense of where he might end up.

SCP: Him and Varandas have a great relationship and with rumors of SCP looking to bring back JJ's assistant coaches makes you wonder. That being said, with Keizer now on board, it's def a interesting situation. I can't see Keizer being firest at seasons end in favour of JJ at this point. Varandas also said a couple of weeks ago that Jardim would one day return to SCP, but not now.

SLB: AS you mentioned, the fans hate him but reality is LFV and JJ have always had a great relationship even during his time at SCP. With all the rumors of LFV trying to sell Rui Vitoria last year, I wouldn't rule out a JJ return to SLB, although that may be LFV's final nail in the coffin as president if fans turn on him and team.

FCP: Always a interesting topic. JJ and PDC are great friends and it's no secret PDC wanted JJ there at one point. I just can't see Sergio leaving if he wins again. PDC will tread carefully. He got burnt when he tried to sell coaches after Villas Boas. Victor Pereira won titles and was let go in favour of Fonseca and that back fired. Sergio left Guimares to go to France and didn't do well.

We'll see I guess. so many possible angles.

12. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Very true. Forgot about JJs first season

13. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just to add on my last comment JJ stated the following:

"I never thought of leaving my country, and those who know me know it well. Or rather, I thought I could go out for one or two reasons: either it was for a club in Europe or a financial one. I did not go out to Europe and I can say that Sporting spent more money on me than Al Hilal pays me. The truth is I got out ... It's difficult to talk about tomorrow, but I think I'll just have another season here. The club has proposed to me for three seasons, but I will not accept it. "

So he's staying another year? If so, that's intriguing cause wasn't Kiezer hired for this year and next year?

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    With an option for a third. Interesting for sure.

Whats also interesting is that he said in the same interview that Sporting paid him more than Al Hilal lmao. How did we pay him more than an oil rich club??

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #65 fdasilva, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Yeah I found that strange. Just another reason I don't want him here. That salary is ridiculous.

EDIT: Along with the new coach who began training today with the team, we have opened a new department of Performance, with the hiring of a well known iranian named Alireza Rabbani - a 'sports scientist' as it's commonly known. He has worked in the past with PSG and in Qatar. Sports scientists are pretty common in big teams these days, glad to see we are taking steps forward to modernize the club.

natenate101 repped this.
  16. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    JJ's assistants left Al-Hilal to re-join Sporting and Keizer's team... interesting...

17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah Raul Jose and Quaresma, also Rodolfo Correia who I think was working at Al Hilal as well.

Maybe if Keizer doesn't work out they're getting ready for JJ again LOL

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Tiago Fernandes, who was interim coach for 3 games, will coach the U-23 team.

19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    So far Keizer's been doing a good job. It will be a real test tomorrow against Rio ave, but his manner of speaking in press conferences and demanding more of the players has been a breath of fresh air.

Peseiro after losing 2-1 at home to a 2nd division side said that the players played well. Keizer said after a 6-1 win that the players can perform even better.

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Rumours swirling that Marcel Keizer has been let go by the board after a meeting this morning, still no official word but all the media are picking up the news. The rumour first started circulating about this possibility yesterday during the busy transfer window.

For now, it's rumoured that Leonel Pontes, U-23 head coach will take over.

21. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    How many coaches is that now in the last 5-10 years? Roughly, I think we've gone through over 10 coaches this decade. Brutal. The only coaches I recall being good are Jardim and Marco Silva... and maybe JJ.

22. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    And I was never too keen on Keizer. His record with Ajax was subpar, so I never felt like he was going to make us a better team. He had a promising start but it's horrible since then.

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Same I think it was clear that his time was up. The team was just anarchy, particularly defensively. Lets see if Pontes is going to be our "Lage" or if we go and get a coach.

24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pontes can only be our "Lage" if we have fully corrupt control over the FPF, and essentially the entire Portuguese political infrastructure to avoid investigating our corruption. That's the only way Benfica is able to win.

If Lage was our coach, we'd be in 10th.

25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Well seems like Pontes is just an interim solution, we've looking for a head coach for a few days now.

Any names come to mind?