Sporting C.P. x Manchester United F.C. - UEFA Champions League: Matchday 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by JuveleoRules, Sep 6, 2007.

1. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Oh well here we go again with bad luck in the CL.

Sporting came out really strong, and besides one shot from long distance by CR MU was owned. Unlike Queiros's comments, that they planned it that way. This guy is so full of it, I hope he never gets the MU top spot. Who the hell plans on giving a team clear opportunities at goal, and if wasn't for the excellent exibition from Van der Saar we could've had the deserved points. The lack of quality marking did us in.

As for Yannick he better sort out is mental problems, not aggressive, no hunger, continues to lack in the finishing department. Well fix it somewhere else not in the a CL game. I still say that the best way we can lineup this team, is with Moutinho in th middle, and Vuckcevic on the left, and Izamailov on the right. Purovic deserves to start, and take some marking away from Liedson.

The ref made a lot of bad calls, and some good ones, but mostly bad ones vs the home team.

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    PIO...right on with your lineup

I agree that is the best SCP XI... they better start fielding that soon

remmeber we got the Lamps coming up soon (just before the trip to Kiev)

I said it many times, Romagnoli is way too soft ... he needs to eat some goddamn wheaties or something and play more aggresively and not fade out so much.

Yannick is way too 1 dimensional.... all he has is speed other than that I dont see anything else!

The two best players of SCP was Anderson Polga and Miguel Veloso, followed by Moutinho... they played great out there today...

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Both Yannick, and Pipi have tons of talent, but their lacking the mental aspect.

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    And the physical contact aspect, in particular Romagnoli, although today he did better than his normal. He's still a 45 minute player.

5. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hope you guys can recover and finish second in the Group to make it through.

what were peoples opinions on Moutinho? sorry if this has been asked before.

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He played well, he is not a flashy player and sometimes isn't noticed on the field, but he holds the ball well and has exceptional vision and passing ability.

He has improved his shot, but still needs to work on it.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't know about Moutinho...I think the star of that game for Sporting was Veloso and Polga. I never knew Veloso had that much talent on the ball.

8. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Good game guys, I've always had a soft spot for you guys ever since Peter Schmeichel joined you. Wonderful ground aswell, it was just a shame it wasnt full, just imagine the atmosphere if it had been full :eek:...

Also, we've been getting rumours in Britain that we are after not one, not two, but THREE of your players in the form of Veloso, Moutinho and Rabiu Ibrahim - I know quite a lot about Veloso and Moutinho, but virtually nothing about Ibrahim, what sort of player is he?

Also, what are your thoughts on what we seem to be doing (poaching your young players) I personally dont like what we are doing because it is thoroughly disrespectful to you as a club, and it doesn't allow you to grow - IMHO, if you kept your players, just imagine where you would be right now :O...

Also, I hope to god that you get to second in the group, because we all hate Roma :)...

9. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Veloso is a tremendous player, all he lacks is speed.

For the record I don't expect SCP will be selling anymore players to Man U in the near future.:rolleyes:

How about Nani...the kid was nervous or what?

One other thing...how classless does Figo look now after watching Ronaldo almost appologize for scoring while last year Figo jumped off the bench when Inter Scored...I understand being happy for your "current" team but how about a little respect for your "own"

Ronaldo showed a tremendous amout of maturity, and whether it was just theatrics I don't care, it made the loss a little easier to swallow...

For anyone that watched the game on ESPN how bad does Tommy Smyth suck? He quite possibly could be the worste announcer I have ever heard.

Glad to see Liedson stop some of the theatrics early on after the Ref didn't buy into it. (while on most occasions there was contact, he would have done better keeping to his feet) He turned in a pretty good performance and almost caught Van Der Sar with that great shot to the upper corner of the goal.

All in all after watching the game again...SCP didn't look too bad, but the goal took too much out of them. Particularly since it was one of their own.

Vidic was a beast, and PB should have used Purovic a little earlier and taken on Djalo who was just useless. SCP played with 10 men because he was so inneffective.

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Man U may get one but they will not get all 3 of those players you mentioned. Moutinho is now our Captain and I would expect him to be around atleast another 2 years. Veloso may leave as we have Adrien Silva waiting in the wings, and he might just be better then Veloso.

Ibrahim is a 17 year old Nigerian player. He will cost a pretty penny when sold off, but he will be with the Academy for a while. He choose SCP over Real Madrid and the rest because of the Academies proficiency with developing young players.

As far as disrespecting our Club, it's just the reality of economics in today's soccer world, The EPL has Millions as it's disposal, but with Man U ever mounting debt and the Glazer family control, not sure how much they are willing to spend.

11. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont think Figo has the same love for Sporting as Ronaldo Still does, SCP seems to still have an important Place in Ronaldo's Heart. I love figo to bits but I would have liked to see him come back and maybe play a season at Sporting but not gonna happen.

12. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

No foul called on this play as Evra almost removes Tonel's nose as he attempts to score. Van Der Score makes a great save and Djalo misses the rebound shot.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am not sure to be honest. He hardly received the ball in the first half...The wingers in general didn't really pick it up till after halftime.

One thing I noticed about Nani is that he seems to do less fintas now....ever since joining Manchester United.

14. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No it's about the same, he never used as many as Quaresma or Ronaldo.

15. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Interests, rumours, media blah blah blah. Bit to close to the end of recent transfer period for this to have any substance plus I doubt Manchester United are going to spend €25-30M on another Sporting product in consecutive years.

16. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First, I want to say I really liked the style Sporting plays and thought they had some excellent chances early but seemed to fade and lose a bit of their bite after van der Saar made some spectacular saves. Then in the 2nd the ball movement was still there but the shots lacked the venom that saw van der Saar stretched in the first.

Second, I think the ref became a bit biased and was reluctant to call fouls after the early theatrics. Cut that out and you get a game thats called much fairer all around.

Third, when you come to Old Trafford be aware that you'll most likely see a fitter Rooney partnered with Tevez for a more dangerous attack. Also watch out for Hargreaves being partnered with Scholes in the middle as it will make the midfield a lot tougher to break down.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Very true...but he still took on defenders constantly, and while he didn't do the traditional multiple pedaladas he was more of a feel type of player, using his close touch.

I don't even see him run at defenders as much, never mind making space for himself.

The same thing sort of happened to Ronaldo a while back. He went through a period where he looked almost like an English player with speed, no spark.....

18. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I actually feel for Sporting in this match. They deserved a draw at the very least. Van Der Sar was amazing for United. It's a no brainer that he made the difference.

Ronaldo did the right thing after scoring, although I could tell he really had to control himself and hold himself back from a full goal scoring celebration. I have no doubt he still has much love and respect for his former club, but I think the main thing on his mind was to avoid a backlash by the Sporting fans and Portuguese media.

I really liked Veloso's game. You could see Sir Alex drooling over him on the sidelines...

19. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You never know, Sporting do make them Right, and it seems to work :p would love to pinch Moutinho too

20. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If he went to Manchester United, or rather Manchester United bought his rights and he accepted the deal. We could effectively determine 2 things...

1. Sporting B is now located in Manchester United
    2. The official second language of that team would be Portuguese, especially if the 2 Brasilan twins from Corinthians ever make it to the first team.

But....I really dought SAF is going to buy Veloso anytime soon. They already filled that position in the past year with the acquisition of Carrick last year and Hargreaves this year.

Unless 1 of those 2 is sold, I highly doubt Sporting will be receiving a call from Manchester United again.