Sponsorships on the front of MLS jerseys

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by brinobyrne, Jun 28, 2005.

1. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
    Can anyone tell me why MLS hasn't adopted this custom yet? It's a simple way to generate more revenue for the clubs and league. Plus I'm willing to argue that many people think that sponsored jerseys would look even better than the ones they have now. Personally I think that the LA galaxy jersey could be the ugliest soccer jersey I've ever seen, in any league. With the big GALAXY spelt out on the front it seems more like a hockey jersey than a soccer jersey.

In a league that could stand to make more $$ any way it can why has the commissioner been so stubborn about this? I know it isn't the "american" thing to do but take a look at NASCAR. Those fans don't seem to have a problem with it. Soccer sponsorships are even less instrusive to fans than NASCAR sponsorships, which are painted all over the car and driver's suit.

With ticket sales not where the MLS wants them to be, why not bring in some extra revenue by allowing sponsors on the fronts of jerseys?

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many teams have ads on the back of jerseys. The question is how much more money would sponsors be willing to pay to move the ad from the back to the front? If it's too little, then it's just not worth it. And if the ads were in the front, would sponsors let teams tinker with the ad? Budweiser lets River Plate have the ad be unobstructive (just black letters without a background) but the Galaxy Bud ad REALLY pops out (the full red box logo).

Personally, I really don't like those ugly logos that MLS teams have. But rather than sponsors, I'd rather have the fronts blank (like the old yellow Crew jersey or the 3rd Fire jersey). Another point though, MLS teams sell almost no jerseys, so ads will not hurt jersey sales at all.

3. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    I believe they would be more traditional on the front, but at this juncture, they are not going to generate the revenues they generate across the pond or even any more than they do now. Yes they may receive more direct exposure but they will not increase the money brought in from sponsors.

Sponsors are signing with MLS and then a team is given one to place on their jerseys. If the clubs had more autonomy they could perhaps get some more money or see more local people willing to put their company on them and thus give every team in the league a shirt sponsor. However, MLS feels that would undercut its own efforts to grab these sponsors to other deals (TV, sign boards, etc).

The kits have come a long way since 1996 and the removal of team names from the front will help in that final move. Sponsors will not be taking those places anytime soon though because few companies would be willing to retool their logo to blend with a team's color scheme (Case-in-point: DC United and Sierra Mist).

Keep a look out as this could change over time, but for right now they are not going to move from back to front as they won't earn greater sums of money.

4. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
    I would think that MLS teams could charge more $$ by having the sponsors on the front. Where they are now they are very hard to read for somebody watching on TV. Like you said, on the front they would get more exposure thus upping the $$. Instead of having jersey sponsors undercut their other efforts I think they could package it along with TV, Radio, etc..

I agree that they definitely would not make as much $$ as they do in other parts of the world but I think it would help to some extent.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    1. There are lots of threads on this topic. Read before you post.

2. How do you charge for something when no one is willing to pay for it.

For example, I'm charging you $100 to post on BigSoccer. Are you willing to pay?

Sachin

6. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
    I took a quick glance and didn't see anything regarding this topic. My bad.

If sponsors are willing to pay for a small rectangle on the backs of jerseys I think teams could find companies willing to pay a bit more for the front.

I guess what I really want to know is has MLS even explored this option or has it just been written off because they don't think it would ever work?

7. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    yeah but that adidas ad on the front of the DC kit seems to fit well

8. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? Does every newbie who signs up on this board do so with the sole purpose of starting a thread on why MLS teams don't put ads on the front of their jerseys?

9. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
    Nah, I just figured I could get a good perspective from somebody who posts on these boards since when I talk about it with other people they can't give me an answer.

10. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go easy on the newbie.

the major reason...

1) They are trying to build brand recognition for the teams themselves.

Welcome to Big Soccer.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What you think and what's been proven in the real world are different things in this case.

But to answer your other question: I don't believe MLS has considered it, and with good reason. I rarely watch European soccer. To this day, I can only identify teams by their sponsors (i.e. vodaphone taking on O2). MLS needs to get fans to identify with the team, not with a sponsor. "Welcome to Sierra Mist taking on the US Soccer Foundation!"

I bet if you ask most fans in Europe or anywhere else, they'd gladly get rid of the advertising if it didn't mean their club failing.

Sachin

12. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
    Thanks. I had a feeling that was the main reason, although I definitely disagree with it.

13. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    I wouldn't necessarily call advertising on jerseys traditional, but yes most teams in other leagues do, do this.

I personally like that the jersey is "clean." The back has advertisement but it looks good - it's tasteful.

Anyhow, there's a fee for this forum as well. If you pay, you get to use an avatar, etc. Many choose not to pay.

14. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    Some sign up to ask about promotion and relgation.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather that my team sell the naming rights to its stadium than put a cheesy ad on the front of its shirt.

16. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can it be pepperoni and cheesy?

sorry for that one. it sounded funnier in my head

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get rep for the effort.

18. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    better on front of jersey than on fence where banners go :D

19. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    We should set up a permanent thread that says "All newbies and foreigners go here first" This thread will then tell them all about....

promotion and relegation.
    Sponsorships on the front of jerseys.
    Why there isn't any single table.
    That there is no US media conspiracy against soccer.
    Yes, we know that the foreign announcers are better.

20. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The first time I saw sponsors on jersey fronts was on the old "Soccer Made in Germany," back around 1978-79. I first game I remember seeing it was Borussia Moenchengladbach v. FC Cologne (I think). I thought it was Erdgas v. Hitachi (Natural Gas v. Stereos). As an aside, who remembers who the first American team was to have a sponsor on their jersey, and who was the sponsor? You don't win anything, but you'll be a hit with the chicks (unless you're a dork like me :D).

21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at jersey from the Swiss and some of the Scandanavian teams you would think you are looking at NASCAR outfits. There are ads, patches, logos and do-dads on virtually every square inch of the uniform.

Put me in the "clean uniforms" camp too.

22. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
  23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Pizza Hut Park
    :rolleyes:

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heavens to betsy no.

I won't be a quakes jersey if it his SBC Communications or something else as insipid written across the front. If I want a shirt with a sponsor's name across the front so bad, I'll go to their company website and buy it there.

Keep the team name where it is and where it belongs.

25. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just think you can relace that ugly GALAXY name with a really cool WALMART logo :rolleyes:

If there is one thing i think MLS has done right is not put sponsorships on the front of thre team Jerseys.

1. It's totally foregin to American sports cuture

2. It reduces team recognition

3. It looks tacky

4. Just becuse euro teams to does not make it right.