Spion KOP

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Liv'poolFaninAZ, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Does anyone have, or know where I can find some video footage of the old KOP, when it was still a terrace? any links?

2. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    that is a cool site, thanks.

4. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Don't know about video footage on the net but here is a pic from the late '70s.

[​IMG]

5. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Sweet picture, must've been crazy there in the KOP, I wish I would've had the chance to experience that.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You know I really feel disappointed for you. I spent many, many, many, many, happy hours on the old "standing" Kop. Wonderful memories.......We won't mention the Div 2 days!

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again. Next you'll be on about Liddellpool :D :D

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If there's one area of life where misty-eyed nostalgia is not merely allowed, but actively encouraged, it's in talking about the old Kop. I may not have experienced it back when KopiteinKC and USScouse did (but then I never experienced teddy-boy shoes and brylcreem quiffs either so that's there on the plus side ... :D ), but I was there throughout the 80's and it really was a special place. Terraces like that are the one thing I truly, permanently miss about the old days. Even with Hillsborough, the standing experience is just something to be lamented.

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Watch it Noo Joisey breath, If I have to come back there......!

Wats Liddellpool...? Or get in the way of this.!
    [​IMG]

10. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to usscouse again

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I feel realy sorry for anyone who missed the old Kop.

Once I graduated from the "Boys pen" a truely terrifying place. (I used to wear my oldest clothes and shoes and a scruffy mac to go in there and refused to look anyone in the eye. I'd seen kids going home jacketless, shoeless and crying.)

We used to look over at the Kop longingly and as soon as we were big enough, Joe Bewley and I went in there. We were warned, so we waited for the first big 'sway' and got our backs against the crush barrier and hung on. That way noone could come down on you. Now and then some lucky guy who chose to stand in behind the barrier would bend it..... with his ribs.
    The atmosphere was always great, always good for a laugh. Just make sure you went for a piss first, there was no way out of there until they opened the gate and we all fell out.
    Unofficially the Kop has held 28,000 noisy buggers, thats just behind one goal. It's also over half the capacity of the whole of Anfield now.

It's still Anfield and still the Kop but when I go now I feel something is missing. I'ts not as bad as going to the mausolium at Old Wafford but it's not quite the same old place.

12. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I"m sure that is the case. At my local club (DCU), MiniLB and I get to stand with our fanatics (Screaming Eagles/Barra Brava), but on a good night we've got 1,000 singing and standing. 28 times that must've been awesome. I do, however, sniff the faintest whiff of the old fart remembering how it was before the wireless came :D :D I find myself doing that to me kids too often now.

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :D :D
    WE got a TV when I was 17..!

28,000 shoulder to shoulder, front to back, packed like the proverbial sardines. I was lucky my shoulders were higher than most others and Joe's were broader. It was an effort to raise your arm. The heat generated was really something and the steam on a damp night hung in clouds.
    Incredible experience.

14. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to tell them what the Echo was used for on those nights?