Spielberg to make movie about '72 Munich massacre and aftermath

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1941 is a very underrated film.

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agreed. Would also like to add that A.I. is one of the greatest films of all time because Spielberg got to direct it without thinking about it. He's the David Beckham of filmmakers.

3. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I liked "Empire of the Sun."

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ehrenstein hated it:

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    and i was really looking forward to this movie. :(

6. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Do I understand it that he used "Vengenance" by George Jonas as his ONLY source ?

Oh boy.........

7. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I guess I'm too much of a commoner to post here. Is hating Spielberg now a measure of conniseur (sp?) status? His movies are almost inevitably very entertaining or interesting and sometimes both.

Time's got Munich on its cover. Haven't read the article yet, but apparently it's not being panned but just the opposite.

I would like to say, however, that the timing is terrible, releasing this prior to the World Cup in Germany. Terrorists need no additional impetus or encouragement to strive for glory and martyrdom.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Spielberg has it made, he can do whatever he wants. He's made some great films and some crap.

I'd say from what I've seen of his work, I think the Indiana Jones trilogy is the best, and AI is the worst.

As far as a movie about the Munich massacre, I don't know. It is an intriguing topic, but not really appealing. I'll wait to see what critics say and maybe I'll rent it, or maybe not.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe they can come up with a movie about the man who stabbed Monica Seles, before June, to give all the psycho German fans some motivation to put a knife on some Brazilian at the World Cup?

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Partly it's a reaction to his being so overrated. He doesn't come close to measuring up with the elite American directors (John Ford, William Wyler, Billy Wilder, Orson Welles, etc).

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    that was an awful incident. And at the peak of Seles's career.

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    If the dramatic happened, and it's famous enough to where even average people know about it, Spielberg can film it and it could be a box office hit baby! :p

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did I.

That said, I haven't liked anything Spielberg's done since AI. I've generally defended him in the past, and there's no doubt that he's directed some of the best movies of our time and all time, but to me he really looks like he's lost the plot. He's definitely not the same director he was 20-30 years ago.

Interesting that Kubrick, Lean and Truffaut all listed Spielberg as or among their favorites, and that each had a hand in one of Spielberg's artistic triumphs - Kubrick and AI, Lean and Empire of the Sun and Truffaut and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I keep hoping he'll rediscover some of the things that made his movies both enjoyable and rewarding, but I'm not holding my breath.

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spielberg's never been original, but he's every bit - and more - the craftsman as any of those guys save Welles. I still maintain that Wilder's best attribute as a director was his ability to pick a great casting director and a better script (and I say that as someone who lists One, Two, Three, Sunset Boulevard and The Apartment as three of the best movies ever).

As for Welles... people should make the sign of the cross when they say his name. He was the foremost artistic genius of the last century in any field.