Spice Girls Reunion

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Demosthenes, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a thread for discussing the Spice Girls and their upcoming reunion tour.

I intend to get tickets. I will go as Posh and my friend will go as Ginger.

This is not a thread for bashing on the Spice Girls. Please do not post about how unattractive/untalented they are. They are a cultural phenomenon, icons which transcend limited notions about beauty, or musical talent, or dress sense.

This is a thread for discussing things like girl power, who is your favorite Spice Girl, fond recollections of the Spice Girls, or what you think they might wear during the reunion tour.

Girl Power... Forever!
    [​IMG]

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a little blast from the past:

[youtube]dyfAoO1S4I0[/youtube]

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's them now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think Mel B's looking a little chubby.

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I know we are ment to be recycling to save the planet but must we do it with music. Maybe if recording companies spent more money on new talent rather than millions and millions on recycling this old shite then people might have some respect for them and stop illegally downloading music. What is the point in paying my money to fund this shite instead of new good music.

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea but The Spice Girls is good pop music.

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. New isn't necessarily better.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mel B just had Eddie Murphy's baby - she's allowed to look a bit heavy!

Plus, someone has to add some weight to make up for the staggeringly skinny Victoria B. :eek:

Edit: did I just post in a Spice Girls thread? Maybe I shouldn't reveal that 1990 concert when I had fourth row seats to NKOTB (I took my little sister and her friends, okay!? Sat right by Jim Belushi there at the Rosemont Horizon - must've been ten of us brothers/fathers in a sea of preteens. I'm still a bit frightened!).

8. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    I don't care, she can get it & a stack of waffles in the mornin!

Eddie can mind the child in the interim.:D

I almost bought her solo album solely because of the cover photo.

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where is Eddie Murphey in that picture?

They're all still hot as far as I'm concerned and I'll pay attention to them ahead of shyte acts like the **********cat dolls any day.

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sarcasm or not it really isn't good pop music.

But that is besides the point. We shouldn't have to go back and pay these people insane money for entertainment. Get someone new with a new sound out there isn't of this

11. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but she also looks like an actual, real person now, which is kinda nice.

Yeah, speaking of pop music of questionable quality...yeesh, I can't stand those sacks of naugahyde.

Eh, if people still like their sound, why change it? There are few things as disarming and underwhelming as an act trying to perform their old songs with a "new, more serious" style or some such thing.

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yes, great but why do they need to be paid several million pounds to come back and perform old songs

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to Posh, who looks like a mannequin.

14. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's an audience, someone's gonna try to make money off of 'em. So there's no real "need." Just an opportunity being exploited.

I'm still trying to comprehend three children coming out of that body. It's a little mind-boggling.

15. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Who is "we?" If people want to pay assloads of money to see the Spice Girls, fine. I don't really care for it, but I don't think "we" are affected if a bunch of people want to see them sing songs again.

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because thats what reunion acts and tours are all about. And "old" fans want to hear the old stuff because the band hasn't been around rather than the "new" which might totally misfire on all levels.

People didn't want a Cream reunion tour so they can play new songs. They wanted the good old classic material, no matter how much it cost.

I guarantee the girls will sell out every show.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, shades of the oldie "Garden Party" by former matinee idol Ricky Nelson, sung here by his three sons:

[youtube]aZMTNHlzLK8[/youtube]

Best line: if memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a bus.

18. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Ah yes but you don't have to live in the UK do you where we will have to suffer this forced on us via every single medium know to man.

19. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

I thought we would have some more years before the mid 90's revival wave hit us...

PS : 'Who do you think you are' or whatever it's called was the best IMO...:eek:

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If that is a main concern of yours living there, you would not want to suffer the pop-culture fascism over here in the United States. You'd be swarmed with things a hundred times more ridiculous at a much larger rate.

21. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Funny, I was feeling nostalgic for the likes of Curiosity Killed the Cat, Mel & Kim and Go West when The Spice Girls were all the rage. :D

No one's forcing us to pay money to see The Spice Girls, The Police or any "old" group that's touring now or in the near future. Like Black Sheep said The Choice is Yours

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ********in fantastic!

i'll take this over the police any day of the week.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've got it worse, I live in the United States....the pop culture capital of the world! Garbage is regurgitated here on a weekly basis.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    [youtube]6tPNPixo7QQ[/youtube]

Mel C is definitely the most talented one.

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I think this tour will be successfull because its short but if it is successfull then they will get greedy and want to to do a full, extended tour and that I think would bomb heavily.