Spector - (R) Charlton vs. Southampton 9/14/05

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by 2ndstarright, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 2ndstarright

2ndstarright New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    The Chi
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Report from Official Site:
    sounds like spector was pretty involved in the attack as well tonight...

Southampton 0 Charlton 1
    A first-half header from Gonzalo Sorondo proved decisive as reserve league champions Charlton maintained their 100 per cent record at St Mary's on Tuesday evening.

LINK
    http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=22685

"A loose ball out of defence from Osei Sankofa culminated in Mercelo Tejera lining up an early shot that was desperately blocked by Spector and then Rob Elliot wanted too long to clear his lines and was closed down by Dexter Blackstock."

"Johansson then sent the marauding Spector - engaged in a fascinating personal duel with Walcott - away down the right but the American's clever cut-back was side-footed fractionally over by the late-arriving Sam."

"The outstanding Holland fed Spector down the right side and after showing great skill to dip inside his man, the young defender unleashed a rasping shot that flew inches past the far post."

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reserves, right?

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Who the hell is Gonzalo Sorondo 'cause Charlton's site is crediting Spector with the goal?

Going only 73 minutes would seem to indicate they are saving him for potential duty this weekend. Or they just don't want to stress that hammy too much, yet. :rolleyes:

4. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    His header won it.
    That pic makes him look young.

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    LOL, he is young :)

6. 2ndstarright

2ndstarright New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    The Chi
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when I posted the link...the official site had sorondo as the goal scorer...Well, even better for Spector then...Congrats

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the updated report:

"If anyone looked like taking an early lead it was Southampton, but from their second set play of the match on 18 minutes, Charlton were ahead.

Lloyd Sam's purely hit right-wing corner curled invitingly towards Spector, and the on-loan Manchester United man showed what a threat he could pose to Premiership defences this year with an immaculately timed leap and header."

I suppose that now we can only hope . . .

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    are we dreaming of him teaming up with gooch in the center? or as a wing back on the right with dolo solving our right mid problem.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gooch can pair up with Cory Gibbs or Carlos Bocanegra in central defense.

Spector's skills are more beneficial somewhere forward of that, probably in the deep laying midfield where one of his main competitors would be Chris Armas.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Here's my dream line-up (hopefully not 1st game together) in an important WC match..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnson, McBride

Midfield (from left to right)

Beasley (Lewis/Convey as sub), Reyna/Donavon/O'Brien/Mastro (pick 2), Cherundolo (surprise...he's the answer Bruce to our RM woes!)

Defense (from left to right)

Boca, Gooch/Gibbs, Spector

** And voila- no problems at RM or RB! Get our best talent on the field. Lose with the best. With this lineup, we don't have ball possession weaknesses at any spot (that stuff just kills you deeper into world class tourneys...the "Chris Armas/Greg Berthalter has the ball 30 yards in front our goal" syndrome...

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Something tells me after all is said and done, the top 10 field players in minutes played in the WC squad will be based in Europe.

Spector fits more to a diamond where he can play the lone deep mid than to a box where he'd probably back up a healthy John O'Brien.

In an ultra conservative but flexible 4-5-1 :

--------------Keller-----------------

--'Dolo---Gooch----Gibbs---Lewis--

------------Spector---------------

----Reyna------------O'Brien------

----------Convey--------Beasley--

-------------McBride-------------

I kind of like this myself...

12. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd really like Spector to play at some level, any level, in the midfield before we start penciling him in there.

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you ignore Landon Donovan, who barring injury will play pretty much every minute.

14. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Would have been fun to see. Theo Walcott is the best prospect in English football since Rooney.

15. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBride has no fun left up top all by himself. Take off Spector and Convey and put in GAM and LanDo, and then I think you have a good bet. I don't want to see us this conservative at the WC (even if we are playing Brazil). A box midfield with Claudio, JOB, Landon and DMB can hold and move the ball.

16. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of old Jonny-boy here-- ManU is in a real pinch on their back-line. Am I correct in asserting that there's no way they can call back Spector? Someone was trying to convince me that ManU could (and should).

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I know you're on a campaign for Spector as a defensive midfielder, but has he ever played the position? At club level? At reserve level? How do you know that that's where his skills are best suited a) if we've never seen him play there, and b) if every other coach he has had has continued to play him in the backline? I concede that that may be where he ends up in the long term, but would Bruce really play a 19-year-old without any experience at one of the most important and most typically veteran positions at a World Cup?

18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    There are several of us on the Spector for defensive mid bandwagon. I think you make a good point when you note that Arena will probably be reluctant to put a youngster with little experience in that spot in the WC. From what I've read, he may have played a little defensive mid with the ManU reserves the last couple of years. I have only seen him play in the back, either wide or centrally. I base my judgement of his ability to play defensive mid on the things I've observed from those games. One is his ability to win the ball in the open field. The other are his skills carrying the ball forward. It could be argued that those skills would serve him well at outside back and maybe they would, but I don't think he has the kind of speed or crossing ability that we would ideally like in an outside back. I know this will strike many as a gross exaggeration but I see him as another Roy Keane.

19. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty difficult to make a 19 year old look young. Props to the cameraman.

20. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can not agree more. Good observation from you Maximum Optimal.
    I hope Spector will come to Germany next year.

Bltleo
    Germany

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Have you ever seen him play?

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

YES in Man Res. but I have not seen him play in USMNT during WCQ.
    So my judgment is only from Man Res.
    What about you?

23. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well actually Spector was my favorite to win him for Bayer Leverkusen.
    This would be the best what could happen our team. I mean Bayer Leverkusen, BL not reserve team. We really need defensive players
    for Leverkusen. This is why I like to watch Spector how he develops etc.
    I remember you have already told me a lot about him one year ago.
    Do you remember? So I remembered this name. It is pity that I could
    not seen him play last qualifying games. But I have you and others here
    keeping me informed. Thank you for this, Maximum Optimal
    Gruss:)
    Bltleo
    Leverkusen

24. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Cool. Didn't know ManU Reserve matches were televised in Germany. I've seen him with the U17s and U20s. Also in his one brief appearance with the senior team and a couple times during ManU's preseason tour before last season.

25. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I hope Germans don´t listen me now:). To follow english soccer
    in Germany is really easy. ManU and Liverpool are
    my favorite ENGLISH teams. So I was already several times in Manchester
    to see games LIFE. They have wonderful stadion. If you like I can give you
    my impression about Spector. Anyway I´m sure you have much more
    information about him since you could see him in U17 and U20s. Oh I remember I saw him in U20 as well. Have you seen him to play in WCQ?
    I´m so mad that I could not see these WCQ games. No any game were
    televised in Germany. I think WCQ games are importnat. But it is
    german television:).

Bltleo
    Germany