Spector: Newcastle United v Charlton, 12/28 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Dec 28, 2005.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Thanks.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game postponed on account of snow. :mad:

3. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Twenty year olds are too inexperienced and their developments too physically immature (speed develops quickly - size takes time) for them to realistically expect top level time at the central back position. Yes, there are exceptions, I don't think that defeats my point.

Spector's best chances to contribute now, both for the US and for his club, is at the wingback position. Flexibility to play central back when called upon is always nice. In a few years, he might make a transfer to the central back position.

For reference - Onyewu, whose a stud who will be a regular starter for a G14 squad sooner rather than later, couldn't play for Metz when he was 21. Cory Gibbs, considered a youth-phenom, didn't make it as a regular on a big European team until 25. Pope's best years were 26-30 by far. Bocanegra didn't make the 2002 team at 23.

4. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that, at least Gooch and Gibbs were playing as outside backs before moving to the middle.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there another Shearer at Newcastle besides Alan? Must be.

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The roads? That's so stupid.

7. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Haven't driven over there have you? An inch is heavy snow fall in England. The other morning the weather lady reported they were expecting a significant amount of snowfall with most areas recieving a couple of centimeters. Contrary to post cards and Christmas movies, it doesn't tip down the snow in the winter here (I'm on holiday here, again, dying to come in the summer instead).

8. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If Shearer's ancestors had moved to America, he would have made a heckuva free safety.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    My wife and I always visit her family in England and Ireland in the winter and while it would be nice to go in the summer, the winter airfares are 1/3 of the price of summer and more importantly, there's no football in the summer!

10. Vicar

Vicar New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Manchester, Langley
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lucky you are only visiting.As for weather forcast I can never figure it out,I think they just have no idea so they try confusion.One inch of snow and its driving chaos on those narrow roads.

11. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    This is my lot too, but next year I'm pushing for April or Sept. with the kids too young to be in school, me finally out of school, tickets reasonable, and of coarse.... footy.