Spector joins Charlton on loan

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Allamerican74, Jul 9, 2005.

1. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Errr, Brown is a better player then Jonathan Spector right now (and maybe always will be)...but Spector is more "skilled" today, than Brown - if you're using the traditional meaning of the word.

2. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Is this the same Spector that got owned by Pele in the youth tournament game vs Italy? actually that Italian player was terrorizing the whole U.S defense he was unstopable. After seing that maybe Spector isn't as good as people say he is.

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the same Spector who played through that game despite suffering a thigh injury days before and clearly not being anywhere near full fitness. The same Spector who was praised to no end by the always critical RedCafe fans when starting in both Premiership and Champions League games early last season.

It was a knockout game, so you can't fault Sigi for playing him, but unfortunately the gamble backfired and Spector ended up looking terrible that day. Hopefully he'll get the rest he needs so that he can play the way we're used to seeing.

4. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    lol I was asked in the youth thread who I thought would get a few chnces in the first team this year and I said Jones, Spector and Rossi.

Time to scratch Spector off the list unless he is phenomenal for the Addicks and is recalled to OT...

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    achtung... first avatar change?? it looks weird for some reason...

anyway.. to try n appease motter... spector?? are yall serious??? you know he isnt "playable" material.. even my mate, a hardcore manyoo season ticket holder doesnt think he is worth of being a squad player..
    is it appauling that i will be making 6-9 old trafford appearances this year?

6. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anyone got confirmation of this or is it still just specualtion? I've looked around and can't find this anywhere besides the original link.

It makes sense, with Charlton selling Konchesky to West Ham he could get a decent amount of playing time and think the move would we be good for him but is it anything more than a rumour at this point?

7. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is pretty concrete when his agent confirms the loan signing. I know people keep bringing up that Italy game but he had to cover for the ineptitude of the other centerback who was invisible the entire match.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cruiser replaces the Doctor for now. Of course an exchange between the two might go something like:

Cruiser: You're not a real doctor. I understand medicine. That tardis thing... its all fake... its all fake... you're a jerk... a jerk...

Doctor: Tom, nice to meet you, now run for your life!

And now back to non-bizarre topics... like Spector's hair...

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.....but he also looked like someone who was rushed back into a match he had no business being rushed back into. Very sloppy passes and just generally looked lost.....and I say that as someone who actually wants him to do well for U.S. Nats reasons.

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmation from Sky Sports that Spector will indeed be at The Valley this season.

Link

Interestingly enough, I was at the Chicago Fire game on Saturday and there were some kids from Chicago Sockers FC, Spector's old club. I probably should have asked them if anyone there was still in regular contact with him, and whether they'd heard anything about this.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the problem is, his detractors point to one match where he did not play at a level he usually plays at, rather than the 7 appearances he made for United last season, performing well, shockingly well on 2 occasions above the level even the most optimistic of fans would have hoped for and playing reasonably well the other times as well.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post was ONLY in reference to the Italy match. The poster to whom I was responding was trying to say that Spector's poor performance in that match was because he was having to cover for someone else. I pointed out that I thought he looked poor overall in that match....not fit and made many unforced errors that had nothing to do with "covering for someone." He looked like a player being rushed back too quickly from injury.

In summary, I was criticizing a specific performance....that deserved criticism, IMHO. Overall, I have been impressed with Spector and believe he shows promise of developing into a good player.

13. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA
    I don't see how a full year for him in the Prem can do anything but be good for MU. He gains valuable experience and we gain a great view into what he is capable of.

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. My only worry however is that more recently we've been loaning out players and then not really bringing them back. It's like we've been using loan periods as advertisements for their services. It looks like Richardson will be back, however, and I'm pretty sure Spector will be too at the end of the season.

15. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA
    While that's true ... we always have the final say in who returns and who doesn't. All in all, it's a nice problem to have ... more talent in the wings than you have room for on the first team.

16. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not necessarily a bad thing to showcase a player by loaning him out. For instance, Richardson may never be good enough for United but almost certainly increased is transfer value during his time with West Brom. Similary, we will know more about Spector after this loan.

17. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA
    Great point ...

18. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Don't worry, it's really easy for the first half of the season.

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Spector leading US invasion

20. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

You would think with the press coverage he's starting to get he could figure out something to do with that hair of his......

He looks like a Redneck with that mullet......

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehhh....I've seen worse.

http://www.mulletjunky.com/picfix2.htm

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually looks like one of the other two dozen suburban rich kids who hang out at Woodfield on any given Saturday night. He was probably one of them two years ago.

Damn kids and their hair...

23. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A little hair envy. :rolleyes:

24. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

No doubt......

I wish I could get my hair to puff up like that.......... :D

25. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the worse thing we could say about him is his hair, then I'm happy because it means he is doing his job on the pitch.