Spectators - canopy or umbrella?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Sep 16, 2021.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    At games/tournaments, I see some parents who set up those big canopies to provide shade. And other people will have an umbrella that either attaches to a chair or is on a stand that rests on the ground.
    Which do you prefer?

I just bought a canopy but it's kinda big and heavy to lug around. Haven't used it yet. A lot of games will be just me watching, his mom doesn't make them all. So canopy feels like it might be overkill. I might return it.
    Now I'm leaning towards umbrella with arm attachment. Much easier to transport.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    The canopies are good for multiple people. BUT, as you say, they're a little difficult to transport. AND, depending on where the sun is, it may not help.

Umbrellas are ok, they're lightweight, easy to transport, easy to adjust, but you have to hold them (unless you get a clamp for your chair).

Personally, I generally don't do either. I'll just wear a ball cap.

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    For shade? Nothing - I just wear sunscreen. For rain, I usually just bring an umbrella, but in many cases (e.g. windy, rainy days) they're useless, so I just wear a waterproof jacket and suck it up and get wet.

MySonsPlay repped this.
  4. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I've got an entire rainsuit (jacket, pants, overshoes) I break out for rain games. And we've played in some doozies.

Fuegofan, bigredfutbol and soccerdad72 repped this.
  5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're just bringing the whole family, canopy's ain't worth it IMHO.

6. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    yes for shade.
    I'm in a hot, dry climate. Many days around 100. But it is cooling off a bit now.

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    At the first tournament I went to a couple months ago I was shocked at how many canopys there were. I felt like I was the only one without one.

8. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Just my preference, but I'd rather travel light -- cap, sunscreen and a rain jacket if it's raining hard (though I do layer up quite a bit in cold weather, which year-round players here play in quite a bit). I usually don't even bother with a chair.

Tents always seemed to not even really work unless the sun was directly overhead or, if there was rain, it was falling with no wind.

9. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    We hardly get any rain here. But lots of sun and hot temps.
    Sounds like many of you are in the midwest?

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how I rolled, particularly later on when my wife more or less stopped coming.

CornfieldSoccer and MySonsPlay repped this.
  11. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Yep, that's me.

12. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I find that the lack of a chair makes it easier for me to wander away as needed, muttering bitterly like a good sports parent. (hey, I'm sparing the other parents form my "insights"). ;)

TheWkndr, Fuegofan, sam_gordon and 4 others repped this.
  13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. I was thinking exactly that. Plus--I'm not super-social, and standing rather than sitting spares me getting stuck spending the game next to a chatterbox, gossip, etc.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Born & raised in Nebraska, but have lived in northern VA for almost two decades.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  15. TheWkndr

TheWkndr New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Chicago Burbs
    I know I'm late to the party, but SKILZ makes a 'sportbrella'. 9 ft umbrella with a spike pole you can put in the ground and two people can sit under with chairs. Also can put it on the gorund like a lean-to. Found it to be a decent compromise.

NewDadaCoach and bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I've seen those, but was wondering how practical it is to screw into the ground. (if too difficult to keep stable).

I did buy one (like this) that attaches to a chair. But it's a big clumsy to clamp securely.

What bout one like this that is like yours but sits more like a tripod?

17. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Are you going to stand or sit in one place or do you pace? For the length of time your games last, I still say ballcap is enough, maybe an umbrella.

18. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I usually sit in one place and record the game. If I'm not recording I like to stand and pace a bit.
    Now that it's cooling off a hat might work. But it just got cool. The summer sun here is brutal