PBP: Spain vs Republic of Ireland: June 14 - Arena Gdansk [R]

Discussion in 'Group C - Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland' started by JaredSS07, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. Any idea what they were singing?

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Agree, they were fantastic

3. bowlingballhead

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    No idea, but it sounded great! I've always loved the Irish. Their struggles with England are pretty similar to ours with the Russians. Respect.

4. Gilmar

Gilmar Member

May 25, 2012
    Rio de Janeiro
    Congratulations Ireland for your amazing supporters! You guys have earned my respect. :thumbsup:

sidspaceman and GoYoungrokba repped this.
  5. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I enjoyed that demolishion job of the Irish team.
    They're almost as bad as their economy.

But fair play, at least the fans already know they're shit. :D

Irish fans will be supporting every team against England now, so all is not lost.
    All is fair in love and banter.

6. federicobeatle

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Their most recent struggle with England being that we bailed them out of their state as Greece and prevented them from going bankrupt

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ha ha exactly we are bailing them out. I don't want to get into a troll fest here, it's only banter,

But I'm sick of all this "plucky" irish crap people from abroad seem to bestow on them and their fans, while England are the nasty evil tyrants everyone wants to lose.

Many Irish fans want England to lose despite us bailing them out, so screw them :D

8. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Way to show your class. Just couldn't resist a dig toward the Irish. BTW, most sides look like shit when up against the Spanish.

9. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Irish Fans were taunting England when they arrived at their hotel. So England fans chanted back "Theirry Henry, Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry" :D

They are the one's who are petty about England. Like the Scottish.

They looked like poo against Croatia as well by the way.

10. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Everything you state is true. And as I have no wish to flame this any further, I'll just leave it as is.

11. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What were they singing towards the end? The national anthem?

The German commentator fortunately shut up entirely while they sang. Good call.

12. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The fields of Athenry.

13. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sure. Well it's nothing serious anyway these days just rivalry. You won't see England and Irish fans fighting in the streets.

Some Irish fans do support England and vice versa.

End.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The crowd sings The Fields of Athenry (Irish folk tune) last 3 minutes of match

15. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. I didn't recognize it at the time, but it's a great song.

16. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Sorry if this comes across as a Troll post, but I agree 100% with Roy Keane and think he's spot on.

Credit to the fans, but they need to not just go along for the sing song and to make up the numbers.

17. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Referee biographies:

Leif Sundell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Sundell

"In quarterfinals he helped Germany to beat Croatia by making two terrible mistakes. Germany won 2:1."

Graham Poll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Poll

"The game ended 2–2, putting Australia through to the next round. Sepp Blatter later commented that "had Australia lost the game and gone out of the World Cup, they would have had grounds to request a replay."Poll's assistant also missed that the second Australian goal by Harry Kewell was scored from an offside position. Within half an hour of the game ending, UK bookmaker Coral offered odds of 10–1 against Poll refereeing another match at the tournament."

Wolfgang Stark: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Stark

"During 2012 UEFA European Championship, in Poland, Wolfgang Stark was again at the center of controversy, as he failed to signal two clear penalties for Croatia, in the match against Spain, reversing the outcome which went (1-0) for Spain. This result eliminated Croatia, while a Croatia victory would result in Spain being eliminated."