Spain v England [R]

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by gazzad_5, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spain were pretty awesome! They restricted us to an almighty 0 shots on target for the whole game and had 64% of the possession! It was pretty one sided. The Spanish players ability to hold onto the ball when under pressure, and far superior passing was impressive.

My only regret was an English black player not scoring and shoving racist Aragones's words down his throat. By all means, call Henry a ********, but don't bring the fact he's black into it, and then say that the English are worse because they're colonialists (there hasn't been an empire for over 50 years!).

Black players in Spain have complained about racist chants (or monkey noises) for a while. The fans do it to opposition black players even when they have blacks on their own team. It's vile. The English reaction is strong because we simply haven't heard it for years over here. The perps are identified and thrown out, and banned for life or years.

But lets not take our focus off the fact it was a superior performance by a better team. They simply did not let England get into it.

And if the tackles were a bit tasty....thats just the English way. EPL style. Apart from Rooney's slight push I didn't see much wrong.

Robinson's penalty save was very good too.

2. K1zzou

K1zzou New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    It's unfortunate that these types of incidents occur. Ignorant people say dumb things and aren't even aware that what they're saying is ludacris. Even though they won tonight's game, the utter ignorance of some of the Spanish fans have cast a dark cloud over the country. :(

*sigh*......Can't we all just get along?

3. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    You usually see that in games between English & Spanish sides in Europe the Spanish team always dominates possession.

4. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    How was Del Horno's goal scored?

5. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I agree too, I feel sorry and I wish there is a way that we can get the people that did that.
    I wish it wouldn’t happen again.

6. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Now that being said….
    What’s up with Looney Rooney???

7. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    England go off rails amid racist abuse

A distressed England lost their composure last night, harassed by the expertise of a sweet-moving Spain and upset, too, by the loathsome racist abuse from a large part of the crowd. Ashley Cole was disconsolate by the time he went off, and one immature and unfettered personality in the line-up was utterly unable to cope.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1353845,00.html

Minute-by-Minute Match Report

http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/matchreport/0,9752,1353416,00.html

'Appalled' Caborn to launch protest

The sports minister Richard Caborn joined Sven-Goran Eriksson and the Football Association in condemning the racist chanting that marred the friendly between Spain and England last night.

Caborn is to write to the Spanish sports minister Jaime Lissavetzky to complain about the abuse and he called on the world governing body Fifa and the European body Uefa to launch an investigation.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1353894,00.html

8. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    very disappointing that what sounds like it was an excellent performance on the field was so marred by idiots in the stands. very disappointing, and FIFA should act so that people get the message.

9. Topside

Topside New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Rooney lost it last night! He seems to have a bit of a temper problem and this emerges when he gets frustrated.

10. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    Yeah, for an American living in Spain, I have to say that the level of overt, unthinking racism that you run into in Spain is kind of surprising. Spaniards will tell you that they aren't racist (and they'll believe it) but they will regularly say things that no one would dare say back at home. Obviously America has more than its share of racism, but at least the PC revolution has made it unacceptable to do anything like what happened in the Bernabeu. Of course, Spain is going to have to deal with all of this in a big way pretty soon, as the number of non-European immigrants continues to balloon.

That said, England look totally outclassed by the Spanish midfield and Rooney kept putting Becks in the awkward position of having to defend his dirty play to all of his Madrid teammates.

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ashley Cole was a bigger man on the night, than those wankers in the Stand. for actually putting up with the abuse directed towards him and the other Black players.

Racism in England has been virtually wiped out. If we did what the spanish supporters did, in England. We'd be arrested, fined and locked up. I suggest you lot have a word. Beckham was a bit sly, saying nothing about it at the final Whistle,

12. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Rooneys a young lad, and he obviously didn't like his team-mate getting racist chants from the crowd.

13. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i knew there was a reason why the madrid supporters whip out that corny-a$$ confederate flag....

lame, man, real lame.

14. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope I never get to see such a disgrace in Camp Nou stadium.
    England should have walked off the park in protest.
    :mad:

15. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not so long ago for all you PC people...

The Football Association has vowed to step up efforts to stamp racism out of the football after losing an appeal against a £28,000 fine imposed following England's game in Sweden.
    The fine was imposed by European football's governing body, UEFA, after a section of England supporters were accused of racially abusing striker Henrik Larsson during the Euro 2000 qualifying match in Stockholm two months ago.

FA lawyers disputed that there had been any racist chanting, but UEFA's appeals body rejected an appeal against the fine following a hearing in Geneva.

A UEFA statement read: "The appeal was rejected following evidence presented by the referee, Pierluigi Collina, and the UEFA delegate at the match, Mattieu Sprengers, stressing that on at least eight occasions during the game English fans had directed racist chants at the Swedish player, Henrik Larsson."

Football Association lawyer Nick Coward said they were "disappointed" by the verdict

16. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I hope the Spanish Governing body gets hit with same penalty. That tis all.

17. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Bernabeu incidents lift the lid on racism in Spain

MADRID, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Madrid unveiled its bid to hold the 2012 Olympic Games on Wednesday saying its strongest suit as potential host was the welcoming atmosphere visitors could expect in the city.

A few hours later at Real Madrid's Bernabeu Stadium England's black soccer players were greeted with monkey noises and racist chants every time they touched the ball.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-spainracism_column&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Spain gloss over racist chants, point finger at England

MADRID, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Spanish media and football authorities glossed over racist chanting that marred Wednesday's friendly between Spain and England and accused the their English counterparts of mounting a witch-hunt against them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-spainracism&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Britain to complain to Spain about racist chants

LONDON, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Britain will seek action at top government level after England's black soccer players were racially abused by the crowd during Wednesday's friendly international against Spain in Madrid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-englandracism&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Spanish foreign ministry condemn racist chants by fans

MADRID, Nov 18 (Reuters) - The Spanish foreign ministry has condemned racist abuse that fans directed at England's black players during a friendly international in Madrid on Wednesday.

"If there were racist chants then that is deplorable and lamentable and it is not suitable behaviour for football fans," a spokesman for the foreign ministry said on Thursday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-spainracismreaction&prov=reuters&type=lgns

18. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You wont mate. Barca fans are class. Well i just never got to see any in the Nou Camp. Was raining when we played Barca. Postponed untill the next day, but i had already booked my flight home. The ' Rambles ' is a good street. ;)

19. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Bernabeu incidents lift the lid on racism in Spain

Spain trying to gloss over there disgraced supporters. They knew they had to admit it. Madrid are absolute cowards. Beckham and Owen should ask for transfers.

20. SF Gooner

SF Gooner New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    tri state stunna
    '

I would believe that if it was the first time he's done something stupid. But he's a hot head. Why try to sugar coat it. He's got a temper problem and he needs to control it.

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hes an 18 year old Scouser, if he wasnt playing football, he'd be out nicking your Telly, DVD, Video and CD's, the lads young, give him a chance.

22. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

As a native from Madrid, living in Madrid, I subscribe what PYordan says in the quote up here.

We are a country which has lots of common racist expressions. The reason, however, is that until very recently, we have had a very small population from other ethnias, and that happens in every country of the world, to "make fun" of the others. Men say sexist sentences, women the same, you make fun of all stereotypes, even the richer countries or ethnias.

In the USA, Britain, Canada, France or Australia, those societies have become multiracial long time ago. Therefore, they faced a similar situation much before, and eventhough factual racism has never been eradicated from anywhere, the big debate in society has at least got that saying certain racist or sexist or confessional sentences is very bad seen and officially rejected. That is what really happens in the US, not that people are not racist or classist, which they certainly are, and much more than here, where we hold a huge middle class and smaller economic differences, as in many European countries with a welfare state and social security.

In that sense, I don't honestly think that we are more racist than any other country, as we have also traditionally been a very bad treated nation for our underdevelopment and forced emigration between the 40s and the 70s all over Europe and South America, where we receive very despising adjectives yet, mostly in Argentina.

Concerning the world of football, it is maybe the worst spot of the problem. Ultra supporters are racist in Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Holland and almost anywhere, but at least in my country and my club, Real Madrid, it is extremely minoritary and never supported by a whole stadium at all. On the opposite, any time ultras "did the monkey" to black rivals, the stadium would whistle at them, I have seen it with my own eyes. I know this is worse in some Italian clubs, but no way you can compare that to Spain now a days.

Maybe you don't know it, but our Parlament and Football Federation have been working very hard to defeat violence and racism in sports and stadiums, and now a days the problem is really smaller. Police has worked hard in this subject for at least 15 years and now a days, the situation is much better and safer. Nazi symbols are not allowed in Stadiums, for instance.

With regard to last night sad happenings, there is no excuse, it's just deplorable, but I know that it all arose from the awful manipulation that the British tabloids did against the Spanish national coach Luis Aragonés, concerning his racist comments which were absolutely taken out of context, and that is why all Spaniards, even the hard-core antiracists know that he didn't mean anything bad, as it is part of a colloquial way of talking. He would have been fired immediately if we understood it was meant in any other way. This is a serious country and democracy. Very serious. He just didn't mean that, and only Spaniards know and only Spaniards must judge, as it was a private thing taken by one of these bloody cameras which now a days are everywhere and can get us in trouble one day or the other too. And I am not any fond of this Aragonés guy at all, but this is our business.

Today, even Tony Blair has spoken about last night and I'm afraid this subject will put on fire to many of us.

First of all, London is one of the five candidates to organize the 2012 olympics. The two main favorites are Paris and..Madrid. I don't see ghosts, I simply know how politics work.

Second, we know Aragonés didn't mean to offend. We know that last night's reaction was awful and still minoritaire and in reply to what the English had said, not against the black players. And if Tony Blair "regrets" this behavior, I and many like me, "regret" that the British Press manipulated that fact in their papers as they did with our withdrawal from Iraq, or our elections results following the Madrid massacre in March 11, or that the British Government dares to interfere and express this opinion on this insignificant subject, it's just amazing. He forgot to mention that people were also shouting "Gibraltar is Spanish", but maybe this affair is not so nice to mention, as Britain keeps this shaming colonny in our territory in the XXI century, and still dares to take there broken nuclear submarines and similar provocations.

I think that Tony Blair has more things to do with his time than talking about that last night's deplorable attitude from, I repeat, a minority in a huge stadium which does NOT represent our city, club or nation at all. He rather tells the whole world were on earth are those Iraqi massive destruction weapons or why thousands of people are dying in that country.

Apart from that, any Spaniard knows the awful reputation that British citizens have in this country, where they come every summer for millions and behave like real hooligans in their holidays, naming us "africans" and similar adjectives while they fight and destroy completely drunk. Anyone having spent a summer holiday in Spain knows what I'm talking about. However, Spaniards still respect the British and understand that a minority is always a minority.

Sorry to say this, but we are not racist. Or at least, not more than anyone else, and our Government and Football Federation and society are really aware of that and trying to do it better as society becomes multiracial and needs to adapt to the new times. We are so racist that absolutely everybody in this country, having papers or being an illegal inmigrant, is granted free medical attention in very good hospitals and health centers, even for a toothache. That costs lots of money and we are paying for it. It doesn't fit me with the idea of a racist society. There are absolutely no political parties from any extreme wing. Nothing. Zero. Nada. No votes. We had fascism for 40 years until 1975 and we don't want any more violence and fascist behaviors. Which other European country can say that? No organization next to any fascist ideology is allowed. No Ku-Klux-Klan, no neo-nazis, no National Fronts, no ultra right or ultra left. No "inmigrants-out" heard in any political campaign. No racist political leaders. No racist attacks in the streets, and if so, they are extremely prosecuted and penalized, no "Pakis", no city ghettos, no "**************", no "vanillas". Is this clear enough what Spain is now a days?

Edited by moderator for political overtones:

---------------------------------cut-----------------------------------

I'm really tired of this sort of things coming from abroad and many other Spaniards too. If you want to see a modern and civilized country, please be our guests. If we have to stand this sort of manipulations we are going to get very, very angry.

23. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I completely agree with you, this is by far the lamest thing I ever saw.

24. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    You know what your going to get with Rooney, he is an amazing player. What you have to realise is that he is under huge pressure with the expectancy of the whole country. He did not do himselve any favours last night though.

25. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All just a reminder that if you are planning to discuss politics (elections outcomes, war in Iraq, etc.) please go to the following forum and shoot away:

NSR (Not soccer related) -Politics & Current Events

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159

Thanks in advance,

Pichi