Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting to get a little romantic between Spurs and Weston.

[​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm a spurs fan ( San Antonio) so Wes going there is interesting.
    Not a fan of Antonio conte though lol

3. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def. agree, if Wes has a great tournament...Juve can get 2-3x their investment if Wes wants to leave.

Agree about Wes still needing a lot of refinement, but still such a great player right now. The fact that Aaronson went for 30m after a couple of decent seasons in Austria and the numbers being thrown around for Wes is only 5m more? No way that is true. I will admit that I am a bit biased with BA, I just don't see the value there.

Mt Stone@ and neems repped this.
  4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Wes plays well for Tottenham, and he still will be a target for every top club in the world until early 30s. So he is not losing anything in career advancement.

He could easily still go after Tottenham to RM, Barcelona, Liverpool (although they usually buy low), Man City, BM- you name it.

Wes just needs to be himself- play with that joy and arrogance- and Conti will love him and play him (as long as he follows Conti's instructions)

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it's also more personally desirable to live in London versus living in Turin.

6. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living in London, making more money and less pressure. Not a bad situation.

The Irish Rover and gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I loved Conte as a player, and as a coach also, but he won’t last long anywhere the way he is. He burns bright and then burns out, and on to the next one.

ChicagoVT, golazo68 and usnroach repped this.
  8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    If he stayed 2 more seasons, which I think is entirely possible (he's older now and might not want to keep switching teams so much), then I think it is fine move for Wes.

They might not battle for title, but they have a good shot again to snag 4th (or even 3rd) place this season- and that would guarantee CL for the following season.

He's got Kane and Son in their prime. The pieces seem to be working now. My biggest worry is Lloris who is way long in the tooth, IMO, is off his best.

9. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Wes just got to Juve. I hope he stays. Moving to Spurs, in large part due to Conte, seems like a mistake. Managers move around far too quickly. Highly likely Conte isn't there very long and then Wes could be stuck sitting on the bench as the 6-7 best team in England.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Possibly, but Spurs are unlikely to make the same kinds of mistakes that they made when Pocettino was sacked. If they don't, Wes'll be playing CL ball for the duration of his stay in North London.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm ok with Spurs, but I'm gonna be pretty sad if this happens this summer, as one of the spawn is moving to Florence and I'm looking at spending Oct/Nov on the nearby coast and watching a lot of footie... Ah well. Wes has no concerns for my life, clearly.

usnroach, RunthePoint, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  12. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Unlike at Juve, the expectation at Spurs is not to challenge for the league every year and potentially win the Champions League. Qualifying for the CL is enough. It’s not a better environment for an ambitious player.

usnroach and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    We just don’t know. If Tottenham start the first half of the season hot, they can be in the mix. Man City and Liverpool could have injuries and in the case of Liverpool- Mane is out the door and who know if Salah’s mind starts to wonder this season.

Tottenham could wind up being the team that no one expects to compete- but actually does.

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,that would be a reversal of form.

usnroach, tomásbernal and freisland repped this.
  15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Basically a lot of things have to go wrong for Citeh and Pool and a lot lot things have to go right for Spurs.

IOW’s in an average year, even a year where things just go a bit better for Spurs and worse for the other two, it’s a race for third and fourth.

Let’s not kid ourselves, the gap between those two and the others is that large.

russ repped this.
  16. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I’m talking about the sustainable ambitions of Juve vs Spurs. Yeah, Spurs can have a great year from time to time. Juve is expected to be great every year. Different worlds, in my opinion.

17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Outside of England, and all of those who are EPL centric, that is understood.

usnroach repped this.
  18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Tottenham finished 2nd a few years back. They are spending money now. Kane looks better than for quite a while. Their record since Conti joined was 3rd best in Prem. Would you also say Chelsea has ‘no shot’? I wouldn’t.

Conti goes to Milan and they win. The guy is a winner.

They need a healthy Kane and Son for 1 year. They need Lloris to play closer to his form in his prime- these are no givens but not impossible either.

Pep and Klopp have set such an amazing standard, I would not be surprised to see them lose a bit more this year. Yes, those 2 are the favorite but not unbeatable.

I see Chelsea as more vulnerable than Tottenham this year. Between Tuchel wearing out his welcome and teams figuring Chelsea out now- he’s got a tougher challenge than Conti in my book. But I recognize I’m likely I’m the minority on that.

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next season could be really tight. Liverpool, ManCity again at the top. Chelsea somewhere near, assuming Chilwell is healthy and they acquire two decent centerbacks. Spurs vying for Chelsea's spot, assuming Spurs can improve against the best teams. With one or two proper replacements to bring additional stability to the side, Arsenal might also stir the pot if it can defeat the top teams with greater reliability. The same goes for ManU, which I expect to be more like its former self under a new manager and the fact that things can really only get better on the motivation side of the game. Also, remember this fact: despite being astonishingly abysmal, ManU still finished 6th, thanks to the even greater failures by other clubs. With possibly 6 teams having decent chances to knock each other off, there could be lots more excitement week-to-week and a topsy turvy end of the PL season.

20. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Man U's lineup will have more changes than Chelsea. I have heard that they expect 8+ transfers in this window.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And being great in Italy isn't enough either. They have to be great in Europe, as in winning the CL.

If Spurs draw a "group of death" in the CL and are relegated to the EL but go on to win the damn thing, that'll be regarded as an excellent season by everyone there. Juve? The coach'll be told "must do better".

usnroach and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand it's a chance to play in the best league in the world, for a team that over the last ten years has been in the Champions League about half the time. Tottenham's even been in the final more recently that Juventus.

I'd argue Tottenham has a better squad than Juventus at current as well.

And personally having spent time in both, I'd much rather live in London than Turin.

russ repped this.
  23. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Man, I hope Tottenham doesn't do their typical thing....and wait until the very last minute to bring him in (just to save a few pennies), which means that that Wes misses the pre-season and maybe even the first couple games.

Tottenham do this over and over and over...must be infuriating for a coach and I know Conti would hate it.

It unsettles the player and means that he has to get up to speed with tactics and getting used to his teammates during the Prem season, which is far from ideal.

Everyone in England still talks about how Dempsey was just 'ok' at his season at Tottenham, without recognizing how Tottenham bought him after the season had started and while Fulham had frozen Clint out of training. So Clint had a double whammy of not getting full training before joining Tottenham (and little game time) and then having to adjust to teammates on the fly.

Throw in the fact that Bale was a monster (both good/bad that season)- incredible performance, but had to be very, very frustrating to play with...Clint would be wide open and the better option many times, but Bale would keep the ball and try to dribble through 3 guys in tight spaces. But he did it enough of the time, that no coach would possibly hold Bale back. So his teammates (like Clint) had to play for a lot of scraps.

Conti's system is intense. Players don't usually get it at the first go. I really, really, REALLY hope Tottenham buy Wes early in summer and let him get adjusted to live in London, get moved, and get plenty of pre-season time with Conti. I'll be pissed if he is put at the same disadvantage as Clint.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Are folks so sure the interest is real and that Wes would be a starter at Spurs? It's certainly a risk to take prior to the World Cup

25. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    They wouldn't pay 40+ Euro for him if the idea is for him to sit on bench.

He'd be given every chance to be the starter.

If Juve sign Pogba, it will push Wes out of central midfield, IMO. He'll have to find his position on outside.