Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea I remember Juve wanted another player that they didn’t land and McKennie was plan B.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I wonder what the pay to height ratio looks like across USMNT a d YA

KenC and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    McKennie was bought for the American eyeballs in the prospective super league. It's sort of like your dad getting you a job. Doesn't mean you don't have to earn and win the spot but being a US citizen opens a lot of doors for players like Yedlin, McKennie, etc.

4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Another place where he has definitely improved is using the existing speed of the ball to alter or place the proper speed to a teammate on his one-touch passes.

He will alter his receiving position depending on the situation- even turning to the side sometime... using different parts of his foot. He is really quite clever at times. The added flair moves are not only cool, but often appropriate for the situation.

Also, he is well recognizing it is sometimes better to deliver a ball to a needed spot immediately (get it through the opening), even if he looks awkward or unbalanced in the process VERSUS trying to square up and stroke a clean pass (and watch then the opportunity get closed down).

High level stuff by Wes, which requires very high level thinking.

Ronaldo had one of those in the Tottenham game, a 'master class' type
    pass to Cavani which required a 3/4 beat from Ronaldo to get it to the
    right spot at the right pace. Of course preceding that was an incredible
    chop back move to create the original opening.

Wes demonstrated some of all these things this at Schalke, but now he has higher-level players around him that can better pass and anticipate and accept balls- so he's expanded his mind & repertoire to allow for the most permutations possible to fit a situation.

It's thrilling to watch him develop in this way. Like a pitcher adding a 5th, 6th, and 7th strong pitch.

All this without mentioning he's an absolute bulldog on the pitch.

5. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Well this is some crazy speculation even for BS. He was bought because they desperately needed an affordable engine in their midfield under 30. If he was Spanish instead of American he probably would have cost 3x what he did. It was a good piece of scouting, a rare one, from their former director of football who otherwise stacked the midfield with overpriced guys on the wrong side of 28 that were big names but without the games to back up the price tags.

6. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    @Excellency throwing shade at McKennie... :rolleyes:

It's what he does.

russ, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  7. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    My favorite part was the full sprint back at 93' to tackle and recover the ball from the Viola player. He appears to be reaching another level, both tactically and physically, and I hope it continues.

Amazing improvement from earlier this year.

8. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I feel like we are headed into a bit of hyperbolic territory with Wes right now. He’s played great for 4-5 games, and I think he is excellent, sky is the limit. But he’s gotta keep playing consistently at this level (a few rough matches are permitted, of course), before we start wondering, Gee, how can Juventus hold onto the greatest midfielder of a generation?
    I know no one said that implicitly, I say it tongue in cheek. But I’m waiting a little longer before I get too carried away. Nonetheless, he is an exciting player and is delivering for a top club at the moment. The all touch vids have been insane. How lucky we are.

9. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    that was so impressive. Imagine the endurance required. With that kind of engine, any club would love to have him

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MBA is looking like an awfully powerful midfield ....

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah, of course. He needs to do it over 1-2 seasons (with, as you said, a few rough matches permitted) for it to be really meaningful....But to show this level during the last 5 games is still significant- it has not happened very often at all in Yank Abroad history.

We keep getting other amazing YA abroad breakthroughs the last 2-3 years all over place (Pulisic** Champions League Champ, Dest @ Barcelona, McKennie **** @ Juve, etc)....maybe its about time for this big domino to fall too!

** Kirovski hardly played for Dortmund in 90s, doesn't really count for me
    **** Gooch hardly played at Milan back in day, doesn't really count for me

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Do you remember the player? If not, then stop spouting nonsense.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  13. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    This type of take is so overplayed. Just stop.

bct81 and frankburgers repped this.
  14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look,it's all he has left.Be kind,give him a little dignity.

Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  15. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019

wsmaugham, onefineesq, Mt Stone@ and 8 others repped this.
  16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You mean he doesn't see him as a Kane replacement? #inside_thread_joke

Gotberg, russ and twoolley repped this.
  17. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    #14642 golazo68, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Totally believe this is real.

I predicted this here on this thread a few days ago- expect resuming purchasing interest by Tottenham with a Conti appointment and his knowledge of Italian soccer scene, younger up n comer value buy and Tottenham's glaring weakness in center midfield. Conti needs a Wes-type desperately and immediately.

I doubt seriously Juventus sells now, but such interest will certainly help Wes pitch for his deserved big raise in the coming weeks and months.

Vidal is a better comparison than Davids....Vidal (in his prime) comparison really captures Wes' unique skillset and they appear remarkably similar in comparing video (except Wes more powerful in air)

ChicagoVT and usnroach repped this.
  18. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree, I think I mentioned it back in his Schalke days.

We as USMNT supporters would be truly lucky if Wes reaches anywhere near prime Vidal! He was truly world class 2014-2017.

I think Max also sees a lot of Vidal in Wes and it shows in the way he plays him. High motor, tireless worker, bite in the tackle, and goal threat in both the air and with his feet. He did get to work with Vidal for a year at Juve in 2014-2015.

19. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I’m excited that a manager like Conte would possibly be interested in Wes, that is very flattering for him. However, count me as one who does not want him to go to Tottenham. Conte will likely only stay there for 2 years, and judging by history, the ceiling just seems low at Spurs.

DMTerp02, Suyuntuy and golazo68 repped this.
  20. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    I hate the constant transfer noise around Weston. I really hope he stays at Juventus through their rebuild and helps them to the top again as I have really enjoyed watching Serie A.

The only advantage of Weston going to Spurs is a pay raise, everything else at Juve is better (at least from a Football perspective.. as I could see Weston preferring to live in a big city like London)... really hope he makes Juve his home for a long time.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So any truth to the Pogba to Juve stories I keep seeing on r/soccer?

22. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    It was Locatelli. Looks like the link doesn’t work anymore but was posted here:

onefineesq repped this.
  23. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pogba would and Agnelli/Cherubini would want him back. I mean, it does have all the detail of a Juventus midfield transfer! :ROFLMAO:
    Free? Check (Pirlo, Pogba, Dani Alves, Khedira, Ramsey, Rabiot)
    Hugh salary demands? Check (too many to list...)
    Mino Raiola as his agent? Check (Pogba first time, De Ligt, Bernadeschi, Nedved, Zlatan)
    Really big gamble? Check (Pirlo, Ramsey, Arthur)

There is so many names being thrown around right now. Pogba, Witsel, Zakaria, Tchoumani for the midfield. Vlahovic, Darwin Nunez, Haaland, Lorenzo Lucca for the striker position. Such a crap-shoot to say in November.

golazo68 and russ repped this.
  24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    One thing is certain, he can't be too far away from playing his way into a nice raise, whether it be with Juventus or elsewhere.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  25. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    As much as I think Pogba has barely invested himself emotionally at Man U into being a leader, not fully concentrating on the task, and has gone backwards with his game at Man U, I think Juve (if the salary price is not too crazy) should pull out all the stops to try to get him back.

We do see with France what he is capable of (when concentrated) and still, but much lesser extent (Man U).

Pogba is the type 'risk/reward' deal Juve has to do, since they are under-financed relative to the top 3-4 clubs for Champions League and Juve should pick their spots to add top talent.

Pogba, with his affinity for the club, past good playing history and free transfer- is almost a no brainer (although it would squeeze Locatelli on playing time
    in all likelihood...but then again, maybe competition between the 2 would be great as well.)

Wes and Pogba together...that would be whack!

If Juve wants to really impress me (and I'll publicly eat crow to USNRoach on it!), go get Pogba, Haaland* and Kounde**...and I'll count them as a top 4 candidate to win Champions League for next few years.

* they can dump Morata
    ** they can pair him with Di Ligt