Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    The FC Dallas and U20MNT midfielder is reported to have an offer from Germany

2. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 DeAndresHaircut, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Guesses? I'll guess Wolfsburg

Also: I think you spelled his last name wrong in the title

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DOB August 28, 1998

That means he can move in August without problem.

Tom Collingsworth and hokeydokey repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they can confuse him with McKinze Gaines?

5. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guilty as charged

6. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he signed to FCD or just part of their academy?

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bundesliga interest is legit.

He's not signed by FC Dallas yet although they are pushing hard on a homegrown offer

9. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    any hints on the team?

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can rule out 1. FC Germania Egestorf/Langreder and Teutonia Watzenborn-Steinberg.

ttrevett, Rahbiefowlah and bballshawn repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #11 Clint Eastwood, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    FCD twitterverse types suggesting that the German club "in" on Weston is Schalke, and its a done deal. FCD made a significant push, but couldn't get a deal done.

Consider it a rumor. Sources are unknown to me, so should be considered highly questionable. Other sources that I recognize more as being reliable are saying its "agent speak." Of course, that would inherently suggest he's hired an agent, and that should tell us something...................

Hopefully we'll hear soon. Weston's 18th birthday is in August.

DeAndresHaircut and bballshawn repped this.
  12. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    If he's got an agent, wouldn't that make him ineligible to play in NCAA? I thought I remembered hearing that rule when it came to basketball, should it be the same for soccer as well?

13. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mckennie and Haji together? spoooooooky

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  14. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timing of his bday is good, Weston can jump right into Schalke's reserves in August. Bummer that FCD gets zilch for his development, but it's yet another reminder for MLS teams to present legitimate opportunities (and respectable contracts) to top level homegrowns

15. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That is indeed the case. If he's hired an agent formally than it would mean he's forgoing the NCAAs. He had committed to UVA.

Mind you................this is all coming from rumors I'm seeing on twitter. Nothing yet from the guys I would consider in a position to actually now. They're being asked and are all staying silent on the issue.

Perhaps McKennie is waiting to make a formal announcment until Dallas' run in the U18 DA playoffs is complete. I think that ends this weekend.

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think FCD didn't offer a respectable contract or provide an opportunity?

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its a tough one. McKennie seems to be one of these kids who's been in USYNTs for a while, but who's stock has really skyrocketed over the last 6 months or so.

I haven't heard anything concrete with regards to McKennie, but the homegrown contracts FCD has been giving out recently have been respectable. At the start of this season both Coy Craft and Alex Zendejas were on higher salaries in terms of "guaranteed compensation" than Michael Barrios and Mauro Rosales.

I wanna stress again that I know nothing about this situation, and am irresponsibly spreading this Schalke rumor I've seen in a couple places on twitter. For all I know he'll sign a homegrown contract with FCD this weekend!

19. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is that you confirming that he's leaving? ;)

20. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They offered both, I'd imagine, but it obviously it won't be enticing enough/they were too late to the party if he signs abroad on a free. I'm not singling FCD out here, they're the crown jewel of MLS academies, but the amount of recent MLS academy alums that have shunned their home team to sign abroad is alarming. Rubin, Lennon, Arriola, Wright etc.

I have a lot of issues with MLS, but I do want to see our best prospects get MLS playing time early and generate transfer fees for academies to be incentivized to keep the wheels churning.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, some of those guys (Arriola, Rubin) were poach jobs who may not (esp Rubin) have felt much of a connection with their parent MLS team anyway.

With a long-time player like McKennie, that'll hurt a bit more.

22. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS is in a hard sport when it comes to these younger players.

If you wait until the players are 17 or 18 to sign then you run a tremendous risk of losing the biggest prospects to Europe. If you sign the player when they are around 16 then they really have little chance to help your team and shelling out 50-150K to land them per year is a lot of money for an MLS club.

MLS basically has to treat it as an investment that they can recoup down the road if the player turns into either a player that can transfer out for a fee or transition into a quality MLS player.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if MLS can get creative and offer a 14-16 year old a contract that is say $250-500 per week on a contract that runs through their Year 18 season, but give them a larger stake in the transfer fee of say 15-20% and give the player control of accepted/declining all transfer offers over a agreed upon value.

Pros Club
    - Smaller investment of only $25-50K per season, which mitigates risk of signing players early
    - Control players rights so they don't lose players for free

Cons Club
    - Giving up a portion of the transfer fee
    - Giving player a transfer friendly contract through age 18 (although this is better than not being under contract)
    - Lose control of the transfer process if you give player ability to accept a transfer that is

Pros Player
    - You get some money in a situation where otherwise you likely get nothing for the same "work"
    - You get a player friendly contract that allows you to transfer or sign a better deal at age 18.
    - You get a nice portion of any transfer fee where you would get nothing otherwise.

Cons Player

- Give up NCAA eligibility for little up front money
    - Teams may be less likely to purchase you if they have to pay a fee versus free
    - Team still has some leverage.

Likely not thinking of some angles here as well.

Glad to see MLS pick-up Carleton and Goslin, Smart business for the league I hope.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Like what the players' union would think...

24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure that is the case if you sign a player to a USL Contract. I know USL has no players union, but not sure what a player who signs with FCD II and not FCD and is loaned to FCD II is subject to the rules of the MLS collective bargaining agreement.

You would hope a win-win idea for both parties that is mutually agreed to by both club/player would by OK (not saying this proposal is it) and could be approved by the union, but probably not likely unfortunately.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #25 Clint Eastwood, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    McKennie hasn't been playing for FCD in their recent U18 DA playoff games.
    [FCD qualified for the final last night.] This has led many to speculate that he's indeed signed with a foreign club.

I don't know............but I know that no such thing as FCD II exists :)

Also, I'm not sure that any combination of MLS/USLPro as the development path is as attractive to some players as a Bundesliga path. FCD could offer McKennie a Jordan Morris-type of contract and I don't know if he'd sign it.

I'm gonna leave this picture here, because I like it so much and it hasn't been posted on this thread yet. This is indeed little Weston McKennie. It comes from a fan meet-and-greet in 2006 at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. [The fact that it was taken in Germany also makes one wonder if McKennie has access to a German passport somehow. I don't think so, but I don't know.]
    [​IMG]

http://www.stripes.com/news/u-s-men-s-soccer-team-pays-visit-to-landstuhl-ramstein-1.45610#