Southern California is burning....

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beerking, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    !

And you live in San Francisco.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Not just "live", but own a home in San Francisco.
    The tide is turning :)

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang! You must be a rich fvck! :p

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Hmmmm .... I just came up with a great idea for a bumper sticker "Rich Fvck and Proud of It" :D

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch it! You might get carjacked.

6. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Very unlikely ... I always leave a mousetrapper on my driver's seat, just in case...

7. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    And here I was offering you rides in the Shjtmobile?

Fvck off!
    ;)

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    On a Shjtmobile this sticker is even better ;)

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd buy one of those stickers! :p

Anyway, good news, for those in Southern California: relief appears to be in sight (and N.B. the Special Weather bulletin towards the top of the link below)...

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCA0638

Cooler temps, with showers.

10. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    heh heh, that has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read this year. The irony is that you're trying to speak about insurance yet you don't even know how to spell the word correctly. :rolleyes: I'll just assume that you're not aware of property/casualty mechanics and hope others just, well, "miss" what you said. ;)

11. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

heya Mikey! Long time no see! Fixed yer post! Your welcome! :D

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I love my Jimmie Johnson. Hmm.... That sounds kinda dirty doesn't it?

Anyway, here's a quote: "In response to the Southern California wildfires, Lowe's and NASCAR Winston Cup driver Jimmie Johnson are "Racing for Relief" to generate funds for the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Lowe's will donate $100,000 to the American Red Cross at the beginning of this weekend's Checker Auto Parts 500 in Phoenix, Arizona. In addition, for every lap that Jimmie completes, Lowe's will donate $48."

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, on the front page of the Galaxy's site, details on the ongoing relief effort...

http://www.lagalaxy.com/

Joint effort between AEG, th L.A. Kings and the Galaxy, starting with a $250,000 campaign for overall fund-raising.

Look for the blue banner towards the top of the page.

14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Dang, ya got me. I read that all wrong. Saw the smiley face, the SF location, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5. We all agree about the original poster anyway...

15. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    So, when and where can I collect $100 from you?

Just kidding - a beer will be enough :)

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Today's Merc reports that people have been looting starting in the Big Bear Lake area.

:rolleyes:

****heads. That's about as low as it gets.

17. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way, Bajoro

Eh? The Bay Area may have voted against the recall, but that was about it. Considering the numbers, there's no way the southland voted overwhelmingly against- it would have failed. There aren't enough people inland to have carried it 60-40 against the coasts.

DougO

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southern California is burning.....
    And tomorrow the Quakes are going to heat it up more. Burn, Carson, burn.

19. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: No way, Bajoro

Los Angeles County voted No, slightly, 51% - 49% (see http://vote2003.ss.ca.gov/Returns/recall/19.htm for county by county vote). Davis was strongest in upscale areas such as Santa Monica.

San Francisco/Marin/Contra Costa/San Mateo/Santa Clara/Monterey all voted NO on recall. In other words, the richest parts of the state.

Your assumptions about who's "for the rich" and who's "for the common man" may be a few years out of date.

20. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, some of the richest people leave in those areas, but this does not mean an average person is somewhat richer.

Only 20% of San Francisco voters supported recall, the others probably are lost in 60s-70s (please, someone, tell them that Vietnam war is over) and/or can afford to leave in SF only because of strict rent control in there.

I bet, though, that 20% who supported recall have more wealth than 80% who didn't.

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Re: No way, Bajoro

The whole "for the people" thing was skewed here in the last election. Normally, the Democrats like to have people think they're for the common man, but their primary candidate was a backstabbing racist who was more concerned with elevating himself and his raza than supporting his boss. And he turned a lot of people off. Most Demos I know were really sketchy about voting for him; in fact the ones I know either voted "No on recall" and didn't vote for gov, or voted "No" and "Camejo".

The Republicans siezed on this and used a populist candidate, and they bet correctly that a majority of Californians would fall for Arnie's catch phrases and not ask "Gee, when's he gonna say how he's actually gonna DO any of this?" Had this been a true election scenario, with a primary, the GOP would've let Arnie and McClintock fight it out first, then they would've supported whoever won (IF Arnie would've even run in such a situation). McClintock definitely does not represent "the common man" in California.

22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: No way, Bajoro

Ah, now I understand. A Republican won, so it was "skewed".

62% voted either for Arnold or for McClintock. I guess the other 38% were the "common man".

23. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I could have sworn I clicked on the Quakes Forum. Got the Politics forum instead. Anyway....

I wish I had seen this thread ealier. My daughter, who's in Pacific Beach, is quite freaked out...still today. A bit depressed but doing her best. Finding it hard to concentrate and study or even make it to class at UCSD. She's got the kitty cats of three friends/acquaintances at her house. One was completely burned out, and the other two were evacuated.

I think it was Monday, the day that was the worst. She stayed indoors all day with windows shut tight. Her and her best friend baked cookies to try and mask the awful smell in the air. She said when people drove down her street, you could see the soot fly up under the wheels of cars. A mess everywhere, just as described earlier in this thread.

The air quality where she is has improved dramatically over the last couple of days, but now she's sick with upper respiratory problems.

She's also feeling a little guilty I think because nothing serious has happened to her personally, but so so many thousands of people have been so deeply and profoundly touched by this/these tragic fire(s). I can relate to what she's feeling because following the '89 Earthquake, I felt so guilty that nothing terrible happened to me but hundreds of people were living for weeks in tents in Watsonville. I took food to those folks three times, including 4 turkeys right before Thanksgiving. My daughter went to a wholesale store day before yesterday and bought $250 worth of brand new underwear, socks, and diapers to donate to families and then bought hot dogs, ground beef, and spam to send to the firefighters.

Tradegy can strike any one at any time in any place. No one can truly understand what it means until happens to them. For those who manage to pile more negative upon those who are suffering...don't worry, because when tragedy hits home with you, people like me and my daughter and thousands or millions more will be there to give you the little help that we can provide.

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope this thing can get taken care of soon. I hope your daughter feels better soon too. She seems like a very caring person to do the things she's done for the firefighters and families. It's just so sad that people are suffering. :(

25. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:) Sorry about that.

Great post.