News: Source: Frank Lampard will play for the Los Angeles Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (stroked beard, puffs on pipe thoughtfully)

I remember when Beckham joined the league from Madrid, and everyone was falling over themselves to declare him "too old," "slow," "limited". Now its Lampard. Please.

I'm not a Chelsea fan, I'm not a Lampard fan. But I am a Galaxy fan, and Lampard is one hell of a pick-up. All these other arguments are pointless. If he comes to this team, and is able to get along with Donovan (which I think will be much easier this time around), Arena (which I think would have had to have been sussed out before), and stay healthy... he's got at least 4 solid years in front of him.

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just an example of agenda-driven circular reasoning by those who wish to conclude that MLS as a "retirement league." MLS is for players who are old and slow, because players who enter MLS from Europe are old and slow, because MLS is for players who are old and slow.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, someone was questioning this ? :sneaky:

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And since I follow MLS religiously, and I am most definitely old and slow....

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess the question might be less "is he old and slow now?" (to which the answer is no, not really, he's in great form) but more "how much more good play does he have left in him?" There's of course no way to answer that. I mean, it seems like LA is only aiming for the very immediate, which might work out just fine. It certainly is better than RBNY signing Grandpa this offseason (a move which I'm surprised few people are talking about).

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he would be talked about a ton more if he was a DP, but since he isn't, he is treated like Cudicini in that it may be worth the slight risk but everyone will just wait and see how it plays out.

If Juninho some how took up a DP slot, then I think you would have seen plenty of discussion.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but having 40% of your league goals be PK's paints a much different picture of his goal total. As I stated in the post you quoted, it's interesting. Nothing more. He's had 52 chances in league play that others haven't. By being the primary PK taker for Chelsea over the last several years he's had his goal total puffed up a decent bit. It isn't like basketball where the free throws are taken by the guy that gets fouled. Lampard could have been doing absolutely nothing 20yds outside the box on a break away and the ST gets taken down in the box ... but Lampard gets the opportunity. It's just interesting.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not always. Technical fouls or fouls in which the fouled player needs to get subbed off injured in basketball can have any player take the ensuing free throws. (But I get your general point.)

Of course, a soccer player has to be on the field (and likely a "starter" or "regular starter," as there are only 3 subs per game) in order to take the PK(s).

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes two of us.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. Those are special circumstances.

Indeed ... which would probably explain his low PK total this year :p

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Exactly how is it low this year/season (because it is only January)?

Does someone else on Chelsea have more converted (or attempted) PKs in the 2012-2013 season?

(And yes, I realize this would all come down to the timing of PK calls in the club's favor and when certain players may be out injured or unavailable for whatever reason(s) on specific match dates.)

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [That I could find] This year Chelsea has scored 12 PKs, of which Lampard has 5. 5 other players have one with Luiz and Hazard having 2 each. He hasn't even taken half of them this year.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Therefore, he's converted 2.5 times more PKs than anyone else on their first team.

So not "low" at all, in that sense.

What a bum!

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet he hasn't even taken 50% of the penalties ... which for the primary PK taker, is beyond low.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    [GOB]He can't even take 50% of his teams PKs? COME ON![/GOB]

TheJoeGreene, Harper916 and tab5g repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Is it beyond low for someone who's been injured and/or coming back from injury?

So, he's the primary PK taker, but he's not a starter. Got it.

17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just went through the individual game reports for Chelsea and assuming I did not make any mistakes this is what I found for the EPL league games.

If a PK was given for Chelsea and Lampard was on the field, he took it. 100% of the time.

The only time he was not the PK taker is when he actually not on the field itself, either through injury or being subbed.

redinthemorning and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I remember right, when they put 8 past Wigan in the last game of the 09-10 season, Lampard took their first penalty when they were only a couple of goals up -- despite Drogba throwing a tantrum because he wanted to guarantee top scorer. When they got another PK late on, Drogba was allowed that one. I *think* Lampard was still on, but because they had 5 or 6 goals already he was happy to sit back.

So your point still stands, even if it's not 100%.

19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have been more clear. I was talking about this season only. I did not research previous years.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So when the Galaxy get a free/penalty kick who takes it? Donovan or Lamps?

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Robbie Keane.

TrickHog and HailtotheKing repped this.
  22. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he was a starter in the EPL unlike the bum Lampard.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yeah, but Donovan was (for the duration of his loans) an EPL regular starter as well, so he also has a case for taking a few PKs for LA, assuming he is in fact there in 2013.

Although, by that standard, I suppose Cudicini could make a case as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Cudicini

Tangentially,
    Incredibly, that GKing bum could only stop half the penalties he faced that season.

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever Mike Magee says to take it...

Calexico77, profiled and tab5g repped this.
  25. NuffSaid

NuffSaid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I believe that there are 2 reasons that Lampard doesnt get the recognition he deserves. Reason one - he's English and he has to live up to a 'stereotype' of being cr@p (particularly in the eyes of hispanics / latins, see Anguilo Merignxyugzxyuz) people from S.America or Spain seem to have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to English football. Reason two - he plays for Chelsea a n extremely unpopular club to all those who support.........well anybody else really! As a Chelsea supporter I really do not care what 'others' think of Frank Lampard but believe me I would be VERY happy for anybody that has anything to do with LA Galaxy to voice their 'doubts' over his ability because that way perhaps the powers that be their will decide to 'withdraw' their offer, and if that was to happen perhaps there would be a chance for him to stay where he is VERY much appreciated, whatever you think about penalty kicks, injuries, his nationality, his 'technical ability or his age the guy simply scores goals - and lots of them and the simple fact is that goals win games! Please please stay Frank!!