Sounds like the fans really laid into Kewell Saturday

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bjb7223, Nov 8, 2004.

1. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    He had to be consoled by HEskey of all people as he left the pitch. Harry will be sold this summer.

2. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well,even if kewell is playing realy badly,we should give him till May to see if we sell him or not.I dont think i was the only fan that got realy excited when they baught kewell,am i right???and why??because we knew what he can do !!!!i mean,he still has the skill that got him this far,its just that he has to regain that form!!!!

3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    He's had plenty of opportunities. I know he can, but noone can make it happen but him. He has been nothing but a dissapointment since coming here when you consider the talent he displayed at Leeds.

4. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    I love Harry Kewell, I think he is a class player, but he hasn't performed since coming here. I know he can, and don't really know why he isn't, but I sure hope he does. An in-form Kewell is one of the best players in the world.

5. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeap ,i agree!!harry is not in form ,and he knows that ,and its not like hes doing it on purpose or anything!It would be foolish to sell him,since lets not forget that he is a liverpool fan just as we are, and the only thing that he wants to do right now is move liverpool foward.I think that determination would be neede to get out of the whole he is in right now, and i am shure he thinks that way as well!(lets take Josemi for an example ,he !"#$% ,and its only because he doesnt give a crap what happens with liverpool,he just wants the money and to play in the champions league!!!)

6. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    As a proud Aussie, I'll pretend I didn't hear that! ;)

Harry has to dig deep and try to regain his form. He's such an awesome player and for some reason, we haven't seen what he's fully capable of yet at Liverpool. Hopefully he'll regain form soon... we need it.

7. poolfan=)

poolfan=) New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    As the second proud Aussie to post on this thread, I hope that Harry does pick up his form, he is too good a player not to. Harry is the reason that i first started following Liverpool, as prob with some younger Aussie soccer fans, so seeing him play so poorly over the past year or so has been really painful.

I'd like to know what theories you guys have over his poor form. All I hear is that he has a recurring ankle injury and groin strain which troubled him at the end of last season and as well as this year, but he had the entire summer to rest it(when eveyone else was playing EURO 2004), so I guess he can't put it down to phsysical fitness. My theory is that he hasnt come to terms with what he has to do mentally. Sometimes, watching his lack of effort on the pitch/commitment to tackles/ and the cause in general, I get the feeling that he turned down Arsenal/Man U and the other clubs because he wanted to join a high profile club but be guaranteed a first team spot and not have to work too hard. I dunno, just a theory, just wish he would start kicking some ass on the field like he use too. I hope Rafa can put him right, just like Igor and Djimi.

As an aside, he seems to have lost a couple of yards of pace too? :confused:

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Harry Kewell to MLS?

9. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    Don't hold your breath.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

:D

11. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    He's finished IMHO.
    It would take an absolute miracle to regain his form again. It's just not the same type of football that he's used to with Leeds.

They used to play fluent, unified, flowing, exhilerating and @ pace.

Therefore, there were always options to accomadate him.

Unfortunately, Liverpool don't play to his style of Footy, and he can't get the hang of ours...(as bad as it is @ the mo.)

Get Rid, and let Warnock and Riise run the left flank ragged. They'd be a fantastic pair.

As for the "Laying into Kewell" bit.....It's about flam1in time aint it???

He seems to play with such a lacklustre level of energy. I realize that he claims to be a boyhood fan of the club, but you could've fooled me mate....

12. BigSucker

BigSucker New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    MN+
    Harry looks slow and out of touch when he is out on the field. It really is a shame because I was excited when I heard Liverpool had landed him. I think the long term injuries have done such a number on his head that even when he is healthy he doesn't doesn't look fully committed. He doesn't get stuck in on tackles (although did he ever really?) and he never seems to take people on with speed. It looks like he is not taking any chances for fear of another injury. I think the team should cut their losses and search for a youngster who likes to take people on down the wings. Someone in the mold of Downing would be nice but they don't even have to be as good as him, just as long as they look like they are running I would be happy.
    Harry to Qatar? :)

13. richfei

richfei New Member

May 19, 2004
    Liverpool
    Yeah, I was really happy to hear that Kewell would be coming over, after so many great seasons at Leeds. But he has never performed. I don't know what else Liverpool can do, to help him reach the same level he has in the past. I almost dread to see his name on the team sheet. He doesn't seem to get stuck in. He doesn't ghost round players anymore. Is he relegated to being a good squad player and no more ? We didn't pay that much for him but I think his salary his pretty large, so why not offload him, if he's not performing consistently ?

14. BigSucker

BigSucker New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    MN+
    Do you think Rafa kept Harry because he is seeing something in training or just because he couldn't afford to offload everyone?

15. richfei

richfei New Member

May 19, 2004
    Liverpool
    I think it's worth giving him some time
    Just like Traore and Biscan. They've become different players this season under Rafa. But I just don't want to hear excuses anymore from Kewell. I get sick and tired of him saying that he still has a lot to improve. Everyone does, even Stevie. If he's fit, he should be dazzling everyone in training, and in the reserves and in the first team.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This gives us an insight into Harry's problems - and precisely what it is that Rafa is bringing to the club. With Traore and Biscan we are already seeing the benefits. Could Harry be next for a bit of Rafa Magic?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N146684041110-1319.htm

17. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just seems to me that Benitez is the type of guy that lays in bed at night and thinks of ways to improve the club. I totally dig that, and even though we're not top of the league I am much more optimistic about our future now.

If the persistent injuries with Harry are true. [groin, ankle] Then that could very well be all it is down to. When you play that much over the course of the season it doesn't take much to knock you out of good form for what seems like a long period of time. MO had similar injury/confidence problems. Although in Harry's case he seems almost invisible at times.

18. richfei

richfei New Member

May 19, 2004
    Liverpool
    You know, that's what I really like about Rafa. He's acknowledged that there's a weakness and there's a plan in place to get Kewell to the next level. A combination of factors have led to big improvements to Traore and Biscan's play this season, so much so, that they're fighting always to be in the first team. I certainly hope that Kewell can be given the time. It is taxing and it's a difficult situation for him, if he's injured or on the cusp and he's flying out to Australia to play in friendlies or whatever and the expectation that he'll be on top form for the club on his return. Hopefully in the next few weeks, we'll see some evidence of improvement. But this just goes to show, that the best purchase we made in the Summer, turned out to be Rafa himself

19. richfei

richfei New Member

May 19, 2004
    Liverpool
    I couldn't agree more. I think he probably does eat, sleep and drink football. He seems like that kind of personality. Very driven and very thorough. But one guy can't do it all. I never really hear much from the backroom staff that he's brought in (Paco somebody). But I really feel as though, Rafa's making his mark and he's trying slowly with the limitations that he has (funds, players from Houllier's regime, injuries etc) to get the best result he can. This is definitely an interesting transitional season for us, so my expectations aren't really that high. But I sure hope there's progression. Trouble is, not so long ago when Houillier was in, we were winning trophies left, right and center and we hit a plateau and nosedived. I'm anxious for us to progress faster. But I really wish that the club would get its finances in order, and provide Rafa with substantial funds and for the club itself to get moving faster on the new stadium, which hopefully translates to more funds again for Rafa

20. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    lol now that you mention it. there was a story in the mirror when he took the job about him laying in bed. His wife said he talks about football constantly at night.

21. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well,those are the reasons why he has become so famous all over europe,dont u think???Ive read repoorts where people talked about sacking him after our consecutive 1- 0 defeats ,and i was like¨what are they thinking???¨well,and about that factor of him being the best signing,i agree,but he was more costly than most of our new signings,haha(the 4 million that had to be paid to houlier),but i think it was money well spent, and i see liverpool as real tittle contenders 2-3 years from now.but in the champions league anything can happen,and to prove that,look at last years finalists.(It would be nice to win the CL ,and strangly we are more likely to win that than the tittle,since the CL is all about luck ,and how the players fell the day the play those matches!!)