Sorting out the TFC Roster limits

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by dl, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm trying to sort out the roster restrictions for TFC - you can have 4 senior internationals, plus three American players, plus 5 youth internationals. Now, I'm getting a little lost with the influx of new players. If you add Dichio, Wynne, Goldthwaite, and potentially Bak, where does that leave the roster.

Robinson, OBrien, Buddle, Esky, Casey as senior internationals?

Boyens, Ibraham, Nagamura, Welsh as Youth Internationals?

Wynne could be a YI, Goldthwaite would count until the end of this season, but only one of them would fit. Wynne is not listed as GA or Dev on MLSNET.

So, count Esky, Casey and Wynne as the three Americans and you have Robinson, OBrien, Buddle, Bak, and Dichio as SIs, Boyens, Ibraham, Nagamura, Welsh and Goldthwaite as YIs (full). Is that it?

-dl

2. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    SI's = Robinson, OBrien, Buddle, Esky, Casey, Goldthwaite, Dichio

YI's = Boyens, Ibraham, Nagamura, Welsh, Edu, Wynne

Now, not sure how our Sr roster can handle Dichio, Wynne and Goldthwaite being added while only Cancela and Mulrooney were dropped.

3. SeanKeay

SeanKeay New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Whitby
    We are allowed 7 SI's, and 5 YI's but in a trade earlier in the season mo aquired an additional YI spot and that is where we can put Mr. Wynne

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was refering to the 19 guys we have on the senior roster

5. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why do American players count different form other internationals? Do Canadian players get the same special treatment for American teams?

7. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    I thought the way it worked was that our Domestic players were Canadian and internationals included Americans. This is the other way around for the American teams. As far as I know that was the only difference from Toronto and the American teams.

I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me.

8. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    There are 4 Senior International spots and 3 Senior American spots.

Americans can count as International too though so u could potentially have 7 Senior Americans.

9. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I remember right the extra spots for Americans are a temporary measure so we can stay competitive for the first couple of seasons. Here's to hoping the long term goal is more Canadian players.