Sons of Ben Travel Poll

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by chapka, Nov 29, 2011.

1. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A completely unscientific, unofficial poll.

All things being equal, if the Sons of Ben were going to plan one big road trip for the 2012 season--other than New York and DC--where would you like it to be?

Please select as many trips as you think you would go on, time and schedule permitting, if the SoBs set up buses, flights, hotels, etc.

2. jmalex

jmalex Member

May 18, 2010
    Montgomeryville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Montréal, especially if they're in their stadium by then.

3. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Had lots of fun up at Montreal on last time was up there. Clocked the drive up in about 7 hours. Just remember the need for passports for visiting Canada.

4. j ladai

j ladai Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Montreal is my favorite city to visit north of the mason-dixon. Never had a bad time up there.

5. DickyDunn

DickyDunn Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd go anywhere, as long as it doesn't include 3/4 of the posters on this once-mighty board.

6. Bdeniso

Bdeniso Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Michiana
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Love to travel up to Montreal or somewhere to the Pacific northwest. Hopefully some will come down to check out the new houston stadium down here

7. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to be positive! Did you ever stop to think that there are people who might not go because of you? Seriously.

8. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE, Columbus, and Toronto should all be regular SoB events anyway. Columbus and Toronto are a decent drive, but there's no excuse to not get a bus or two up to Boston if its a weekend match. Montreal is a similar drive to CLB and quicker than TOR, so I think that should be a new staple with them in the league

A "big road trip" match for me would be one that is a 12+ hour drive and would take at least 2 days. In that case I would be into visiting Chicago and Portland

I'm going to Montreal, with or without you all, so i dont have anything else to say about that for next year.

9. AnMaistin

AnMaistin Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time and money permitting I'd be up for any trip. That said, there won't be any leeway with those two factors.

If we do another overnighter though I'd like to make a suggestion that we do it for a Saturday game instead of a Friday. I won't be able to justify taking two days off from classes (and definitely not from Co-Op if it's late in the season) for a Union game. I'm sure I'm not the only SoB who had that issue for KC...

10. Bdeniso

Bdeniso Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Michiana
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think for the KC trip, the decision was made to go before it was known it would be a friday game, but I agree saturday makes more sense

11. Husher315

Husher315 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Narberth
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all about Montreal. I'd realy like to go as I think any new team is excinting and...it's Canada! The only issues with that would be people not having or needing to get passports.

That said, Toronto and Montreal are definites for me.

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would absolutely be up for Montreal.

Also voted NE, C-Bus and KC for this year.....

made the trip to Toronto last year and it was great, but probably wouldn't do it 2 years in a row.

13. MAS117

MAS117 Member

Apr 28, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal would be a great place to take an SoB trip as would Toronto. Both are great cities. Other then that obviously DC and the Bed Pan.

14. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Confirmed that the Union's first road game will be March 12 (a Monday night) at 9:30 PM ET.

15. Bdeniso

Bdeniso Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Michiana
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I believe that week in my spring break, I am quite tempted to fly up to portland for the game!

16. Dbird76

May 12, 2009
    Buggytopia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's up with opening on the road very far away three years in a row???

Portland just isn't in the budget this time, especially since it is on a Monday. Guess my opening game streak is over at two, wonk...

17. geekgirl

geekgirl Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Sixth level of Hell
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal is a beautiful place. The trip would be even better if it was to the new stadium. Fans could take Amtrak from New York to Montreal in a few hours. May be more comfortable than a bus. Probably about 11 hours by train. That may be better than a flight as well. Anything is better than dealing with an airport in the United States though.

18. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I still think driving up may be faster than Amtrak, but you are right that it would likely be more cramped. I was up there for an FIE world cup. Great time. Hopefully the schedule comes out and shows that its a Saturday game!

19. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    about an 8hour drive. as far as comfort, i'd be more worried that people wouldn't be able to pace their alcohol consumption :D

20. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This^ -well played well played. I think there would have to be a rule of no bearfights in the vehicle.

21. Husher315

Husher315 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Narberth
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely faster to Drive. My first year of college back in 05' I trained it to Burlington, Vermont and that took 12 1/2 hours so it's going to be a little longer to Montreal.

Bus is definitely the best idea. Alcohol consumption I think is every bodies own issue. If you're dumb enough to get completely sloshed before we even arrive, your loss.

22. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Really? For Burlington? During the winter I regularly drive up to my friends house near White River and it takes me about 7 hours. During thanksgiving, we went from White River up to Burlington to watch his nephew play hockey, took us about 2 hours. Did you take the route of 287 - 87 and then cross over to Burlington? Or did you 95 - 91 and up? CT always adds a hell of a lot of time to everything. The last time I drove up to Montreal took me about 10 hours (well actually a lot more, but thats because I passed out at my friends house in White River. Yay for geekiness over driving routes!

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Given my current location, Chicago is probably my only trip this season. However, I made a last minute trip to Toronto last season and it was a blast. The Red Patch Boys were more than accommodating to us and even invited us to tailgate with us before the game. I'd highly recommend it.

24. Dbird76

May 12, 2009
    Buggytopia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm definitely doing Toronto again this year, except I think I'm going to take a different approach this time now that I'm familiar with their open container laws.

I'm thinking of getting a hotel along the train line that drops at exhibition place or in that hipster neighborhood next to BMO.

Bar crawl, then walk/train ride beats a tailgate where you have to hide your booze & golf cart Mounties make you pour out beers or you get arrested.

25. j ladai

j ladai Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    those wounds are still fresh, man.

have some tact.