Son Heung-min @ Tottenham Hotspur FC 2020-2021 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by wetcrispy, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
  2. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Terrible game from Spurs but some fantastic defending from Antwerp who've been playing really well (6-1 in their last 7 I believe) and apparently haven't lost at home in 14 months.

Easily SHM's worst game of the season, slow on the ball, poor decision making, didn't pick out open passes.

Overreactions aside, if Ben Davies doesn't have a terrible individual mistake, the game is 0-0 or even Tottenham favored as it forces Antwerp to park the bus just a bit less. Antwerp did have chances to put the game away but Tottenham was getting into dangerous positions and misplaying a key pass/getting shots blocked. Dunno, just hope they can continue a better run of form in the PL.

3. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    This team is still carrying a lot of Poch leftovers like Davies, Winks, Dele. Not even good enough to be backups.

4. k_c_n_y_t

k_c_n_y_t Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Nov 23, 2018
    @sogyeokdong if you think Son wasn’t picking out passes let’s not start with Lamela. The guy carries the ball way too long and does nothing with it... Sanchez, winks, Davies, and Lamela needs to go

5. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lamela was piss awful, as was Dele/Bergwijn/Winks but it doesn't excuse how many awful touches & extremely slow decision making Son was prone to that stopped the ball/play multiple times over. In the end, Mourinho said it best in that he made a mistake in who he decided to start this game and the team looked better in the 2nd half but it wasn't enough.

In the end, Son/Kane both played heavy minutes just 3 days prior in a slog vs Burnley and have been carrying the entire offensive load for the team so I don't blame them. Some players in this squad 100% lack the mentality + still lacking that creative midfielder, unfortunate that Winks stayed on and Lo Celso got subbed off.

6. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    That soccer math of yours is missing so many variables

inten repped this.
  7. Gash Basher

Gash Basher Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don’t even know where to begin... Poch took them to a CL final without a transfer budget ffs o_O

inten, seolseol, HojuSaram and 2 others repped this.
  8. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Pretty difficult game but a win is a win. Despite their results, Brighton have been playing really well this season and are far more rested than Tottenham.

Alderweireld is really key to this team with his distribution out of the back, wonder what the plan is regarding his contract.

9. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i mean when yer mate is being pressed go find a near empty spot and give him support...they are fortunate to squize out a win here

10. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Didnt he just sign an extension last year? See amazon doc

11. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Wasn’t it a pretty short 1 or 2 year extension?

12. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Guy still has it. :ninja:

13. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He signed in 2018 until 2023. New contract talks are just to give him a bumper in his wages reflecting his play/keep him happy. I don't think there's any world he or Kane leaves tbh

Also, another very poor game from SHM but at least they got the win this time.

14. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    One was the other poor game that he played as a starter?

15. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nah the other poor game was the EL game right before this vs Antwerp. He was subbed on at half along w/half the squad. Literally everyone played bad that game so I don't blame him, but fact is fact.

This was his worst game by far from the eye test but also statistically he was not good and should've been subbed earlier. Just looked super tired.

dudedudedude repped this.
  16. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #291 dudedudedude, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    he was tracking back a lot though. He looked very hesitant to go forward in the 2nd half.

There midfield looks totally different after christian eriksen left. I know defense is an issue but they also need a better MF. I feel like there attacks are purely through the wings. hojbjerg and ndomblele doesn't inspire creativity.

17. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
  18. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    SHM gets subbed on and gets an assist in 20 seconds, 3-1 lead

19. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    subbed on at 61'

first touch off the bench is an unselfish assist to GLC, who deserves a goal for his performance tonight

https://streamja.com/0P3J7

jessypjs and nmssis repped this.
  20. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    winks routinely giving the ball away against this sub-par level of competition sigh

can't have any injuries to PEH or sissoko

HojuSaram repped this.
  21. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Hope they ship out Winks and bring Skipp back. Skipp can't be any worst.

22. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Couldn't catch the game live but SHM had his worst game of the season so far. Looked extremely fatigued but also missed a great scoring opportunity and provided nothing via link-up/passing and was a ballstopper. Think the minutes and the insane schedule to start the season (as well as him not being able to rest in EL groups) is catching up to him. I hope he gets some rest in the international break but I doubt Korea is gonna have him sit.

23. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Spurs haven't play good football in the league since 1st half against West Ham. Against West Brom, I noticed just how deep Kane was dropping. Combine that with the Spurs' tendency to play long balls now, who's the target man? Son? Bale? Perhaps teams are figuring out this whole "Kane as playmaker" tactic and adapting to it.

24. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yeah i do think defenses have adjusted a bit.

kane drops deep, defenders stay closer with him because of his playmaking threat. space opens behind backline for wide players to run into long through balls from dier and alderweireld.

an explanation for the poor league performances could be their midweek europa matches causing fatigue. another could be that spurs are a good counter-attacking team with little goal threat from other styles of play and burnley and WBA didn't give spurs much opportunity for counter-attacks

25. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah, I think it's really just fatigue. Klopp + other coaches are bringing it up (esp as some voted against the 5 sub rule but are regretting it now, with COVID-19 is ramping up all over Europe).

The 1 goal wins aren't fun to watch, but with better fitness/clinical finishing the game on Sunday could've been 3-0 easily. Better teams won't sit in their own half the entire game as well, but with the upcoming fixtures I guess we'll see how the team & tactics fare