Somewhat off-topic: accomodations for ArseAm trip

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by naggi, Sep 23, 2004.

1. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Since Andrew is going to be too busy to advise everyone on accomodations, I thought it would be good to collect information for people going this year on good places to stay for the trip. There is a lot of folklore out there from the past 2 years, but I haven't seen a thread on it. I stayed at the following places the last 2 years:

2002-2003 Hotel Edward near Paddington station
    Convenient location and cheap, but pretty passable in general. At the time, I paid ~$300 for 5 nights in a single room+"breakfast," which is a good deal. I only recommend it if you're really hard-up as it is not very clean. Hot water is nice.

December 2003 K+K Hotel George in Kensington
    Nice neighborhood, close to Earl's Court tube, Chelski location is kind of a downer though. Last year, they had a good deal that make it ~$475 for 5 nights. This year, it appears to be more expensive. My room was nice and they had free "fast" internet access, or at least what qualifies as fast for England.

Other times I've been London, I've stayed in Ealing and even in Oxford. What has been people's experience? All you Londoners out there, please also provide us trippers with any recommendations you have. For instance, I kinda want to stay in a different neighborhood out this time to check it.

2. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    You're not the guy who wrote that book "how to make friends and influence people" are you?

3. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    No offense intended, it was a very slight joke. It was advertised by the hotel as a high speed connection, but it was roughly the equivalent of 80mbps or so.

4. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dec 2003 - Renaissance London Chancery Court

I stayed here for free, it was a sweet posh hotel and great location. Just around the corner from the tube, Holborn stop, so I could get anywhere with ease and most improtantly to Arsenal without changing trains. Anyway its a GREAT hotel as long as you have the cash (or a lot of extra miles you need to burn :D )

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Kings Cross is much better than the reputation it used to have. There are plenty of budget hotels around the area and it's easy to get to Highbury from there and to the West End as well. It really depends on how much you want to spend. Id suggest try to go a little North of the centre, Bloomsbury, Euston, Regents Park etc. Its nicer than being around Chelsea!!!

6. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So your saying no hot water? Did it have a private bath?

7. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh yeah, tripadvisor.com is a good place to find real comments about hotels.

8. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    It had a private bath "en suite," with good hot water.

9. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I stayed in the same hotel as Naggi last year (K+K Hotel George) and I echo his sentiments about the place. For those without laptops, they also have a computer in the lobby that you can use to access the internet, which came in handy. The neighborhood was very nice too, although Earls Court Arena is nearby, so just be aware of any concerts or anything going on, as the pubs can get crowded (like after the Iron Maiden show last year). The hotel is also only a block from the tube station, so it's easy access.

Having said that, I think the next time I'm in London, I'll probably stay a little closer to the heart of the city. It was just a little too far from everything for me, plus the tube isn't the most dependable system in the world. I'd prefer to be a little closer to things, especially Highbury.

10. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've stayed at the Edward and was happy enough because all I did was sleep there and eat breakfast.

If there's more than one or you want more of an apartment I've stayed here
    http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/chalfont.html
    a few times and it's a great location and you can do a little cooking if you want. The shower bath (no stand up) is a bit of a challenge but other than that it's fine. I'll be back for sure.

Bob

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is taking the wife/girlfriend along and feels like splurging....I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental. My wife and I stayed there last autumn when we were in London and absolutely loved it. It's definitely pricey but very nice and not too stuffy like many upper end hotels. Again, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for an economical stay but it's great if you want to throw out all the stops and treat your wife/girlfriend to a place with a spa, etc. Also there's a tube station right across the street next to Harrods...Knightsbridge, IIRC, straight shot on the Picadilly line to Arsenal.

12. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    The first time I was there I stayed at the Paragon Hotel, near Earl's Court. It wasn't anything to rave about, but it was comfortable. Not very pricey, either, though I can't recall exactly how much it was.

Every other time I've stayed with my boy, and he lives at Marble Arch. There are quite a few hotels right near his place, and I really enjoy the location.

13. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has anyone used Priceline.com for hotels? I have never used it for anything, thinking about getting my hotel that way. No way I would do it for airfare, personally I have to have to a direct flight.

14. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Ive used Priceline before (ironically to book hotels in California), but when I got there I realised that by going through many of the other on-line hotel 'shops' I could of saved money. I wouldn't suggest it. Has anyone tried the more basic but clean hotel websites such as Ibis and travelodge?

E.g. at Travelodge's rooms are about £45 per night in their Islington Hotel which is a perfectly reasnable location. Easy to get to the centre (10 mins taxi/tube) and the same to get to Highbury.

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Rick's flat!! cant beat the price! ;)

16. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

:rolleyes:

On a more serious note though, If people were not that bothered by staying in Central London, I could probably help with getting a house or large flat on a short term rent. I obviously don't know how well you all know each other and whether you would want to share a flat rather than hotel, but if there is interest let me know. Im in property and we have a lettings side....

17. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The reason I ask is it looks like 4 star hotels in Kensington (like Millennium Gloucester and Holiday Inn Kensington-Forum) are going for about $85/£45 so it seems like a good deal. Soho/Mayfair hotels are not going for much more.

18. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've stayed at the London Guards just on the N side of Hyde Park. It's about 4 blks to Paddington (express trains to Heathrow) and about 2 blocks to the Lancaster Gate tube station. Only a block to the bus, so all in all pretty convenient. Last year it seems like it was about $85/night including continental breakfast. It's basic, but clean and the staff are very helpful.

Have fun. I wish I could go this year. Hopefully in the spring...

19. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I recommend not staying at The Gresham Hotel. Its a piece of junk. I think it was not very cheap, price was included in my trip price, the keys always broke in the door, the consierges didn't know anything, and it had the dumbest room numbering system ever. All the rooms were number 2xx, no matter what floor they were on.

20. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I recommend The Royal National hotel. It's a few blocks from the Russell Square stop. It's in a great neighborhood and just four stops away from Arsenal tube stop and five blocks away from Finsbury Park tube stop. It's a no frills type of hotel but we weren't in our room much anyway. There is a great reastaurant and a great pub right downstairs.

21. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I am too busy but I've got a second to chip in a few cents.

* Carlton Tower in Knightsbridge. Very nice. Posh. Filled with Arabs as owned by the chain that owns that monster in Dubai. Great pool. But room service burgers are £20.

* I've also stayed at the Carlton's sister...nearby...the Loundes? Didn't like it. Needs to be renovated.

* I stayed across the street at the Millenium Knightsbridge. So-so. Close and all, and an ok rate, but didn't feel "spotless" like some places.

* Royal Garden is in Hyde Park and where the England 66 team stayed. Lots of neat pictures from the World Cup. Nice location, good value, though a bit small. Great views.

* SAS Radisson Portman Square is nice, if you get a recently renovated "Italian Room".

* Anything Radisson Edwardian is small.

* Hilton Hyde Park (?) in Bayswater is small and not that nice.

* Marriott South Ken I will know more about when my colleague reports next week.

* Marriot Heathrow is modern, but far away from tube, city.

* AA.com supporter Kelvin recommends Watford as a nearby and cheap location. He'll give recommendations to anyone interested.

http://www.lastminute.com has (contractually) the lowest rates at many hotels in London. Must see.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ has GREAT reviews of places. Must see.

22. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just tried out priceline.com and I got in Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for $75/£41 a night!!! I am really happy. Expedia.com says $308/£171 a night and Holiday-inn.com says $190/£106 and $178/£99 (depending on the night).

I am now a priceline.com beliver!!!! Hopefully check-in won't change that view.

23. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    Get a cheap hotel near a tube station!! That was a necessity when i visited London last May.