Sometimes emigration just sounds like a good idea

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by midwestsurfer, Jul 2, 2006.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
  2. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like a well-written article to me that simply states the facts.

3. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    It is. Its not the writing thats a little depressing. Just some of the content.

4. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    It's because most American sports fans are glory hunters of the highest order (no more sugarcoating it by saying "America loves a winner"). Our national team doesn't win, so they act like they don't care. Like the olympic events we suck at, and ice hockey.

5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    "Millions of children play the game in the U.S. but whereas spontaneous soccer breaks out on Rio and Cape Town beaches, or in the alleys of Berlin and Bologna, you will not see youngsters kicking around a ball on the streets of Philadelphia or Memphis."

This is wrong, at least in Dallas. I can't drive 10 miles at 7 pm without seeing at least 5 soccer games being played on fields full whites, blacks, asians and hispanics playing.

6. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure you mean "immigration" not "emmigration."

7. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be better off in the "Soccer in the USA" forum.

But yeah....a depressing article nonetheless. Although, I do wonder what the viewership patterns are amongst different age groups. Everyone was talking about the World Cup on my college campus...that's why I'm curious.

8. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Its interchangeable. But typically emmigration means leaving ones country, whereas immigration means entering a country.

9. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's now a common sight in my neck of the woods to see kids kicking a ball around on the street and in the parks.

10. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    I saw LD scored two goals last night.....:D :D :D

11. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    The article doesn't point out that in the United States the World Cup is being shown on two channels. There is no mention of Univision what so ever. From what I have read Univision is averaging about 1.5 times as much as ESPN/ABC. So do the math and it isn't too bad.

Then add in the fact that the events the author compares the World Cup to are prime time events in America and not in the middle of the day. That has a huge effect on viewership as if he is averaging the numbers that means that on average just under 8 million english speaking Americans are skipping out on work to watch the World Cup.

Yes the general idea is correct, Americans have not embraced soccer. But it is getting better and the numbers are not as bad as this author makes out. There really is no reason to emigrate, well unless you would rather not have Donovan captaining your World Cup team in four years.

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    For an antidote, read this.

Someone posted it on another thread in this forum. It's from a football station in KC.

Sachin

13. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same old same old b.s. I bet the ratings were fine for Brazil/France.

...And Frank Deford can kiss my %$^!

If people want to see if soccer is catching on, they are looking in the wrong place--

Watch you television for commercials that have a soccer ball in them. It is now the single most common icon in television commercials, even prior to this WC. It is hard to find an advertiser that doesn't include the word soccer, or the image of a soccer ball, or shots of kids playing in their commercials. They are almost going out of their way to find excuses to put soccer into their commercials.

Money talks. Advertisers are connecting. The momentum is building.

14. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Sorry, but the real story is "Highest US World Cup Ratings Ever".

Anyone who compares US soccer with the NFL etc. is an idiot or being a jerk on purpose.

15. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Sorry, but the real story is "Highest US World Cup Ratings Ever".*

Anyone who compares US soccer with the NFL etc. is an idiot or being a jerk on purpose.

*possibly higher in 94

16. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    No, he didn't. Look it up.

17. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    The facts....:rolleyes: The facts is that soccer does not receibe a fair positive coverage and receibe a great deal of NEGATIVE COVERAGE...

But the question is: Do we the 60000 fans who just bought tickets to watch Barcelona/America de Mexico give a rat azz about American coverage....Fook no!:D

18. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

same at mine. i was at a club last night and overheard a number of people around college age talking about it.

19. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    True enough, being a young lad myself, I have cetainly noticed a lot more buzz amoung my college aged companions than many older people.

With notable exceptions of course. But seeing the viewship patterns would be interesting.

20. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    That certainly helped provide perspective. Glad you posted it here or I might have skipped it.

21. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The restaurant I work at was packed to the gills yesterday with everyone watching and talking about the world cup. There is a lot more interest now than in the past.

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmmm... substitute "golf" for "soccer" and tell me how seriously the general media would take that last comment.

So there you have it. Newspapers just can't resist running idiotic comments from members of the general public who've been trained by the media to dislike soccer. And then those same media folks who are by-and-large unqualified to make blanket social judgements are allowed to do so in print... a vicious circle and a self perpetuating catch-22 for us soccer fans who do not conform to Mattox's and USA Today's stereotypes.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed this and I notice that the under 30 crowd is much more into soccer than in the past. The over 45 crowd is still mostly negative towards the sport. I can't blame them because they grew up under a different era. But we need to concentrate on the opinion levels of the sport among younger people because that's where progress can be made. The ship has sailed among those who grew up in the 70's and earlier.

24. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    The article's facts aren't wrong, I just think the emphasis is. Yeah, in the main, soccer's not a popular sport in America (as a spectator sport, anyway). It's a niche sport that gets a lot of mainstream attention every four years. But mainstream interest does seem to be growing, and among niche sports it's pretty popular. I mean, how are the ratings for lacrosse or volleyball or rugby? Those are all legitimate sports and none of them has anything approaching the following soccer does. To suggest that soccer is a failure in America because its ratings pale in comparison to the Super Bowl is just silly.

Sometimes I wonder if soccer did become hugely popular in America if I'd long for the days when it was just a niche sport like it is now. A friend of mine from Denmark said he no longer followed the game because where he was from that's all anybody talked about and it drove him crazy (he was an ice hockey fan). I have similar feelings about American football (although I still follow it to some degree; you almost can't help it), so I imagine if I was in his place I'd feel the same way.

25. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Like someone who always tells their friends, "Hey I loved that bad before they were cool" and always has a story to tell about seeing them in some backwards bar and then laments about their new found fame and fortune.

I think it is a distinct possibility that we will all one day realize we long for the days of the past when the league was simple and anyone could win the cup.