Somebody tell MLSnet that there's a game tonight

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JasonMa, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noon EDT on a day of a game and there's nothing obvious on the MLSnet front page that there's even a game tonight. One link in the headline section, but nothing on the scoreboard or in the rotating main headline view.

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't a game. The Mountain Time Zone doesn't count! :eek: :cool:

3. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They really need to account for the time 24 in on in the east coast.;)

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Real Salt Lake and Colorado are MLS teams?

Sure about that?

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Why is there a Monday night game? I notice there's only 2 games played on Monday night and both involve RSL . . . I guess its due to Salt Lake not playing any Sunday games.

Why not coordinate with the more frequent Wednesday night MLS schedule if a Thursday or Saturday game couldn't be secured?

Interesting.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For tonight's game, its because the FSL FO and/or MLS are a bunch of idiots. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, but the U. of Utah was hosting the NCAA Gymnastics Championships and the same staff runs both the Hunstmans Center and RES, so both of them can't be used on the same day. The NCAA Championships were awarded to the U. of Utah 2 years ago, but FSL/MLS still scheduled a game on the same day. Since they don't play on Sundays in SLC, the game was moved to Monday.

(This is all based on info I got from FSL fans, so its second hand at best)

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty much on the money, except for the FSL part. It goes beyond a staff issue to a space issue, as the parking lots used by the two facilities are the same.

Gymnastics is a big deal at the UU - the team took second place at the NCAA Championships over the weekend - so why this wasn't caught in advance is a valid question.

As for the other Monday game (October 15), it may be another case of bad planning. The UU plays a home football game on Saturday the 13th. But unlike this game - which we all knew was scheduled originally for Saturday since we paid attention to the RMC matches - I am unsure if Monday was the original date or not.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I happen to like a staggered schedule ... there's always a game on!

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I like that too. Even on Saturdays when I don't drive to Columbus, it's still a bit much to watch more than one or two matches on a single day.

10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, the front page of MLSnet has now been updated to show tonight's match.

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

totally agree. this week has been a MLS fans' delight:

Wednesday game
    Thursday game
    3 games on Saturday and here's the key: none of them overlapped
    2 more on Sunday - again, no overlap
    One final cherry on top on Monday

gotta love it :)

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a USOC match last Tuesday.

13. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, but now my DVR thinks I'm mad at her. She's so used to our Saturdays together.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I love the new tv schedule because there's very little time between weeks. Sunday to Thursday is a quick turnaround.

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Agreed.

16. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    I also had warm feelings when I realized there were more matches on different days. Gotta love it. Hope attendance isn't horrible on the weekdays.

17. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pleasantly surprise seeing as how when this thread started no one at MLS knew. :p

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The attendance has been pretty good, even for these weekday/night matches ... and even at Salt Lake City (although that one may soon be running into a dead wall, AKA John Ellinger).

19. Silamanagic

Silamanagic Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Feb 23, 2007
    HA! That's definitely correct about Ellinger running the fans away. As a CO Rapids fan I was happy for my team to win last night but DAMNA! Those fans were pretty into it and there weren't any real player breakdowns, except by the keeper Seitz but Ellinger really let that entire position get away from him from the off season and thus I would place more fault on him. But that's an entirely different Post!

I also enjoy the games being spread out. It's like something cool to look forward to that lasts all week. GOD BLESS DIRECT KICK! Now if they would just include the games that are NOT broadcast in English!!!