some racist chanting in wolverhampton stands

Discussion in 'Korea' started by David Leench, Nov 21, 2004.

1. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    How much influence does the U.S or Britain have in global terms than Korea? China may be the closet thing to any global power that the asian countries have and Africa is non-existent. The level of military and money in caucasian based countries could not have existed if they didn't colonialized right? Look at Japan's attempts in colonization and guess what? They're atleast 1st or 2nd in terms of power in Asia. 'Modern business' teaches us to depower minorities and take advantage of the supposed 'weak' to make a dollar. Although there isn't anymore flat out killing, raping and plundering the methods to empowering a country is a new media of deception and stealth through money.

To put this into context with the experiences of your girlfriend, I think its expected for a minority to feel racism to a new country. Korea is part of the freeworld and the way of doing business in Korea is the same as doing business in any caucasian country where preference and better treatment will be given to those who are part of the majority. Nothing new right? Unfortunately, pretty much all asian countries had some pretty brutal experience with 'whites' in the past. The bombing of Hiroshima, the double standards of G.I's in asian countries so white hate is much alive in Asia as it is in Africa.

I'm very proud to be Korean. We got **********ed in the past and we keep getting the ********** stick. Despite all that we are a very strong nation that didn't need to ********** any of our neighbours big time to become one the worlds leaders in technology and science.

FIGHT THE POWER! :D

2. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    You're deviating from your initial argument, as the issue was about "racism from minorities," not about global politics- though these matter maybe intertwined. If you want to talk about global politics and race, that is another matter.

If you want to talk about history, Britain in the contemporary context is more of a lackey side-kick to the US. In fact, I think it is a colonial island belonging to the US. Though historically it had once an expansive empire, now they do what Washington tells them, most specifically with Tony in charge. In fact, much of the media here in England blames this ass kissing and cow towing by Tony, where it seems Britain is torn between the US and the EU. The hawks in Washington are scared **************** of China, as in twenty years from now they will displace Japan as the second largest economy in the world

In regards to my girlfriend's experience, doing "business in the freeworld" doesn't entitle someone not to serve a meal, or not have cabs stop for you because you are racially different. In fact, being insulted in public in the subway was one of her experiences. I never had that experience in all the places I have travelled in the "freeworld."

I have to acknowledge that you generalize, though from the evidence of how you speak, you seem young and you haven't travelled much.

3. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    And please don't get upset if I told you that you were young. Some people get really upset if told by someone else who is older.

4. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    You are proud to be Korea and so am I...
    and sorry to say, that has nothing to do with racism...

I am saying it's not just Koreans that have to deal with racism, pretty much all races have to deal with that problem, Seol was getting booed, obviously he is not performing so great on his team and being a foreign player that doesnt help

It's really the position you are in, Ive seen plenty of foreign people in Korea being discriminated...

It's never going to be fixed period. if you think my comment is stupid, its cool.. its just what I think...

5. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    Well the racist experiences your girlfriend experience has no colonial shadows attatchment to it. I'm sorry for going too deep into global politics and history. If your girlfriend called me (and God forbid) railroad builder'and I came back and called her (and God forbid) a limey I don't think an asian guy calling her a limey or white trash would have the same affect as a caucasian calling me a railroad builder right? :)

Its unfortunate that she did experience such racism in Korea but I don't think it can compare to the same emotional level as the same the racism felt by people of colour cause they were once under brutal rule. Sure hell I'm pretty sure the racists in Korea tried their best screwing her over.

As much news it can be to you. Racism is racism. Your girlfriend experienced it but minus the colonial b.s. Its different. Its like a double whammy and for whites its something they'll never understand until one day China, Korea and Japan unites does a Planet of the Apes on all white countries. :p

6. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Is there anything wrong with it? You and most Koreans do not share the same core value system. Koreans are not into "lets make this world a better place where all races live in peace and harmony with no national boundaries".
    Koreans are not demanding that Seol be treated in exactly the same way native britons are. Whatever treatment he gets is rightly taken as indicative of the general attitude of british toward Koreans(and can be later used as a cause for retaliation).

As for the spanish incident, we are talking about hypocrisy here, nothing else. It is britain and the west who pompously made big deals about how committed they are toward racial equality and all that. As for Korea it is a nation state and we have no desire to have it any other way. If a Korean does not want to speak to you because you are Japanese/Chinese/white or whatever, it is his choice. If a taxi cab driver does not want to serve you it is also his choice. In some cases it may be illegal but that does not mean it is immoral.

The situation is completely different for europeans. No one told them to invade and conquer other native people. Their moral obligation is the result of their past transgression. They will have to live with it as long as the legacy of their colonial conquest benefits them in whatever the way, however intangible it is.

None of your business. F-U-C-K off.

7. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    What's the chip on your shoulder. Seek help.

8. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Bahahaha. You think you sound cool, don't you?

9. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    So you're saying that racism is fine and not at all immoral, unless you happen to be of European descent, in which case you morally obliged to be otherwise because of the failings of the European nations in the past? Interesting. Personally I think any form of racism or other form of prejudice (except maybe being a Man Utd fan...) is wrong. I'm not going to be drawn into any arguments though so I'm going to shut up on that point. Live and let live.

Going back to Seol, the guy who started the thread on Molineux Mix about the comments made about Seol says that someone else got frustrated with the offenders, spoke up, and they shut up. Wolves fans are not, on the whole, racist. Seol has not (to my knowledge at least) been booed (there are players in the team who have been, but nothing to do with race - purely on their level of performance). Seol has yet to be given a reasonable spell in the team, and as long as he shows that he is trying and putting in the effort, the majority of Wolves fans will be behind him.

10. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    I think all this talk of power, history and geopolitics is misguided. I'm not saying that those thing do not matter, but they are only a portion of the equation. The other component is that racism is experienced on a human individual level. Regardless of whether the victim is from the "powerful" group or not, dehumanizating aspects of racism is the same nevertheless. Also, it denies that fact that individuals are unique. A particular white person may have very sympathetic, progressive views towards oppressed people of the world. Scorn directed at such persons, simply because of his race, would be sad and ironic.

11. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Not surprisingly you approach this matter in terms of moral absolutes. That is a European concept not shared by all cultures. I am not advocating complete moral relativism, otherwise one can not even value-judge, for instance, that colonialism and exploitation of others are wrong. However moral precepts universally shared are far more limited than you think.

'Racism' as defined by the west is also something not shared across the culture. Beyond the obvious minimal moral codes regarding fundamental human rights(for instance one cannot enslave a foreigner based on race etc.) there is no sacred law that says everyone should toe the line delineated by the west.

Your concept of fairness in race-matter is a byproduct of western colonial rules. It was designed to appease native populations under the western yoke. Koreans are not beholden by the same set of rules. Why should we?
    Why should we pay the price of western colonialism when we have not tasted the fruit of the same?

To require that everyone play by the rule specified by the west in complete disregard of the past history seems just a little bit too convenient for the west and past colonial powers. I mean you had all the fun and we pay the price? It ain't gonna work that way.

Underneath your seemingly benign mentality lies the typical western arrogance that since "the superior" race decided to "lower" themselves to the level of "inferior" race, the inferior race just should drop on their knees and issue endless thanks for that kind of generosity(and NEVER even think of reverse-discriminating the masters).

12. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    That was my whole point to wargamer.

13. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004

Straight up. Two Word Answer: Internalized Racism.

14. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Not really. I guess I don't have deep insecurities like you in which you seem to harbor for some reason. Your aggressive attitude betrays and reveals your sensitivity to this particular issue –as if Western values are in itself “colonizing” Korean notions of cultural values. All I presented was an anecdote in which my girlfriend was mistreated because of who she was. I pointed out that it was disrespectful on a human level. And you know, you’re absolutely correct that there is no golden rule that expresses that we must treat someone respectfully, even if they are of a different racial or ethnic background. But we do, because it is called common courtesy. Many people around the world do that nowdays; traveling through North, Central and South America, Asia, and Europe, I’ve witnessed loads of courtesy and welcoming people. Sure, there is no rule that says that I should open the door for a friend who is entering the same building as me, but I do it because it is sign it demonstrates courtesy and respect for my friend.

By the way, your statement ("However moral precepts universally shared are far more limited than you think") is an oxymoron, because something that is "universal" is by definition an idea, belief or phenomenon pervasively accepted and/or present by everyone or everywhere. Hence, it can't be "limited." Though you might rephrase that and say there are far less universal values that different cultures have in common than most people think.

In addition, in relation to your larger argument, when you state, "Beyond the obvious minimal moral codes regarding fundamental human rights(for instance one cannot enslave a foreigner based on race etc.)," you contradict yourself with following the statement that there is no "sacred law" in which non Western people should follow. If there is no "sacred law" that legislates us from treating foreigners as natives, than where did these "fundamental human rights" derive from? The answer is a byproduct of Western history and its practice of human slavery. Again, something that is "fundamental" is a basic tenet understood and practiced universally.

15. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    LOL

16. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Listen Wargamer, I'm not here to dish out debating points with you. I contribute to this site because as a Korean American, I like watching South Korea and the US do well in football. No hard feelings if I said seek help. Let's just enjoy what this forum has to offer.

17. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    Yeah its funny because I wonder if your gf can even speak Korean?

What NY cab driver will drive you if you can't even speak English? You know what Americans say to people who can't speak English right?
    "if ya'll can't speak english ya'll just bet get da FACK out ya hear?"

18. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Why would anyone interpret it any other way? If I meant what you THINK I meant I would have written "... have far less acceptance across the globe" in which case it would be indeed non-sensical(oxymoron -> a wrong choice of words). The fact you freely misinterpreted my statement reveals that you basically have a condescending attitude toward me. It is rather comical in light of the fact you understood none of my argument and don't look too bright overall.

What??? Do you ever read what you write? Do you ever try to understand what the hell the other guy is trying to say? Bye.

19. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, I hope I didn't piss you off! lol!

20. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Oh righty ho! Cheerios! Good bye to you!

21. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Oh by the way, you're right, your choice of words creates misinterpretations. Next time do away with the thesaraus and keep a dictionary in hand. Cheerios.

22. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    "White hate", or "American hate"?

I for one have experienced no "hate" in three years in Korea (and I'm from Scotland) - quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm just curious... what exactly was said to your girlfriend on the subway?

23. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    What, you mean you are not a native Korean??!

24. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Holy smoke! (pun intended). He could have fooled me.

25. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    3 back to back posts... don't tell me you are calm and cool.

'oxymoron' was your word, comically inappropriate.

If you learn to "misuse" words the way you accuse me of doing, you will at least be able to achieve perfect scores in GRE.

By the way I think I trust ETS a bit more than I trust you. So, as for your advice, no thanks.