Some questions on UK cities for an exchange

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Daniel from Montréal, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm looking at an exchange next year and the following universities are possible for me. I was wondering what people could tell me about the student life, the city in general (atmosphere, etc.)?

Lancaster University (UK)
    University of Leeds (UK)
    University of Liverpool
    University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
    University of Sheffield

Any help is appreciated!

Also, if anyone has similar info for Lausanne and Copenhagen, I'm also looking at those.

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    What are you studying...?

Newcastle is the best night out and the best city in general of the ones you listed. But nearly all of them have great student faculties. Leeds is excellent, but I'm biased.

You will never get bored as a student living in Newcastle I can tell you that for a fact.

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    As a current student of Newcastle Uni I can tell you that it is by far the best choice. It's a great learning centre and the City is the best in Britain.

What course are you planning on doing?

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mechanical engineering.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've heard good things about Newcastle as well. Be prepared though the UK is expensive if you are taking money from a Canadian account.

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Then Newcastle is the place for you. We have a brilliant history is engineering, the university actually started out as the Engineering College of Durham Uni.

As for living costs, Newcastle is possibly the cheapest big city in Britain. You will notice a real difference between living here and living somewhere like Liverpool.

7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I thought Bradford was the cheapest for that, unless having changed recently.

Not too well up on any of the universities, although I do remember that Lancaster had cheap Theakstons on tap in the student bars, but the campus does look pretty drab (a couple of miles outside the city itself). All I can really say about Lancaster itself it that it's an obstacle in trying to get to Morecambe.

Newcastle and Sheffield have in my experience been two of the better English cities to be in.

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I was going on the cheapest city in Britain that someone would want to spend more than 10 minutes in.