Some OLD World Cup trivia

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by schwuppe, Feb 1, 2012.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Good remark: I indeed mean the Suarez of Internazionale, where he reached his greatness, in terms of prizes.

Suarez played at Barcelona more advanced, if I remember it correctly. You seem to indicate the same thing.

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, although 'orthodox' if I used the correct term would mean one of the deeper-lying inside forwards so not like a striker at all. It does seem like he played a deeper role for Inter though where he was still highly rated but didn't score as many goals as at Barcelona (which fits with playing a deeper role).

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I guess that Mazzola did at Inter the things/role that Suarez did at Barcelona. Suarez did play deeper than him, that is for sure (100% certain).

4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
  5. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Copa Rio 1951

This is a summary about the second game Austria Vienna (Austrian Champ) played, it was against VASCO DA GAMA (Rio State Champ) in front of 90 000 spectators @ Maracana!

6. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Twenty26Six repped this.
  7. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Double post...

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks Roy for the informative answer.
    Yeah, it seems Masopust was more 'Blanchflower' than 'Mackay'.
    And I guess Ocwirk was indeed unusual for that time, playing like he did as an attacking centre-half.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thank you mr Roy,

But that is exactly why I presumed that the Ocwirk type maybe fitted better with a roving I-F than a more offensive centre-half or side-half.

10. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

12. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

14. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    You say over there that you have old reports from 1952, have you collected these kind of things over the years? And how do you prevent vanishing of this material?

16. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[What did I say that I had these old reports on? I might have been talking about posting links to articles and info that are already posted online...]

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    My excuses that I misunderstood you.

18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I appreciated your description about Masopust role's. Since i read somewhere a more advanced role, that seems me not so accurate.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  19. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I just watched a 1964 friendly between Germany and Czechoslovakia (3:4, April '64, 40 minutes highlights) and Masopust was wearing the #10 in that game and played more close to the German goal than expected, providing a couple of fine passes to his forwards. The Czechs were playing 3-3-4.

20. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[That may very well be the case: I was talking about seeing Masopust in the '58 & '62 WCFs for which he is most celebrated in the rest of the world's football culture IMHO. I could definitely see Masopust being utilised in a role further up the pitch; he had the attacking skill and ability to be more than effective in those areas.

So, v. (which?) Germany in '64: while wearing the No.10; was Masopust being deployed as some type of ball-playing, creative forward, "Greg"?]

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    schwuppe,

I noticed now that some sure all-time legends as Ademir, Zizinho and Schiaffino have no place in the teams you posted. Very interesting.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Let provide some hint:

1-Ademir: WC1950 goldenboot 9goals/6games, 7goals/7games copa49 and 32goals/38games NT overall

Tim Vickery column
    By Tim Vickery
    South American football reporter

Brazil's list of all-time great strikers goes on and on, but Ademir has to come somewhere near the top.

Leading scorer of the 1950 World Cup, he was lightning quick, had a cannonball shot in both feet and was good in the air.

If not the greatest, he was certainly one of the most influential. In domestic football, Brazilian coaches had to find a way to counter him on a weekly basis.

The old WM system, where the game was basically a collection of one against one duels, was not up to the task.

He was too good. The best way to do it, then, was to withdraw another player to the heart of defence to provide cover. And so Brazilian football gave birth to the back four ... "

2- Zizinho:
    He was ... Pele's idol ... and WC50 Goldenball ... he was a ball wizard, and one of the very first "playmaker" of historical football til now...

The Guardian home

Zizinho

Brazilian football star who was once idolised by Pelé

n 1939, during a training match at Flamengo, Leunidas's club in Rio, the player was replaced 10 minutes from the end by a teenage Zizinho. He scored twice and was signed up. During the 1940s, he was the club's main attraction and helped them win the Rio championships in 1942, 1943 and 1944.

Because of the second world war, the next World Cup was in 1950, when Brazil were hosts - for which they built the Maracan, then the world's biggest stadium. Football was already Brazil's most potent symbol. The fast, acrobatic and happy style - embodied by Zizinho - was a global advertisement for the country. Winning the World Cup was seen not only as a sporting challenge but as a means of establishing Brazil's place in the modern world.

Brazil played delightfully. A report in Milan's Gazzetta dello Sport described Zizinho as Leonardo da Vinci, "creating works of art with his feet on the immense canvas of the Maracan pitch". But then came the final. A record crowd of about 200,000 people saw the favourites lose to Alcides Gigghia's late goal.

Zizinho was voted the tournament's best player, but that was irrelevant. Sabar, a colleague, said: "Zizinho was always very hurt that he was remembered more for 1950 than for his glories."

3- Schiaffino:

Uruguay legend who was key to win the WC50 and was Milan legends of the 50's

23. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Would every allstar time made in 2003 would include Zidane, Ronaldo and Rivaldo?

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Of course it can but I'm curious about the reason esp. because those names are 'sticked' to that World Cup.

25. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [From schwuppe in the OP:}

"World XI
    Something that journalists try to do after each big tournament: They make a team out of the best players of all squads.
    The World XI 1950 of Rio:
    Ramaletts (Spain); Horvat (Yugoslavia), Roldan (Chile); Bauer (Brazil); Varela (Uruguay), Puchades (Spain); Mitic (Yugoslavia), Jair (Brazil), Zarra (Spain), Basora (Spain), Finney (England)"

[It's often forgotten how highly rated that Finney was in this era because of him increasingly being seen in Matthews' shadow IMHO. Finney also had a good run of form in the '50 WC despite England's relatively poor showing/"getting the shaft"...]

msioux75 repped this.