Solo/Ryan catch-all thread part 1

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by cloudedmind, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Re: Hope Issues Statement

I think the team had a little heart to heart with her to set things straight.

2. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Re: it only gets crazier, new vids on espn about Hope

Made the Jim Rome show and I wrote email, that he should never comment on soccer after what he's said.

Was Hope wearing a captain's band or what on the bench?? Anyone know?

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

Okay, hands up. How many of you guy have already sent her a message of sweet love and support on her page?

4. Charles

Charles Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Idaho
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And your point is?

MY point is that there's a difference between a player saying "the other player is bad" and saying "I could have stopped that shot." Hope Solo said "I could have stopped that shot" showing her confidence in herself, her abilities, her passion, and her frustration with a coaching decision which excluded her at the most critical moment. It's all of the other folks who are choosing to interpret it as "the other player is a bad player" which Hope Solo did not say.

5. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Re: Chastain, Foudy & Mia pissed is anyone listening?

Chastain was dropped from the team and had to fight hard to get her place back. She played overseas and was persona non grata until she worked hard enough to get back with the US team. I think she has a very good point about the struggles that group went through as compared to this one.

6. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i'm sure there's stuff going on there we'll never know about.

bet they wish their team psych wasn't stateside more than ever now.

7. NoNonsense

NoNonsense New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami
    Re: Who wins the spin?

Plus, it's tough to win a public debate against a person who has a name nobody can forget. It kind of makes her larger than life. I'm serious. You can't imagine all the subliminal implications of entering a fight against Hope Solo.

I think that Hope, putting herself and her name out there, plus the way she looks, is going to be a very, very profitable move on her part.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Again with Brandi it's all about me, me, me, me. It's all about her getting her 200 games in, it's all about her legacy. She wants a coach in that's going to let her play again. Period.
    Sad.

9. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

that band is in memory of her father who died this year. She also lost a good friend this year who was killed jogging in seattle. Basically 2007 hasnt been Hopes year. which is why when i see footage of her the day before ryan benched her talking about playing for her fathers memory i just want to personal kick greg ryans A$$

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ryan basically trashes Hope today

I've already awarded the threadwinner, so this has to be only the thread runnerup. :D

I thought the exact same thing...how appropriate that he mentions Kahn instead of Cech.

11. bigsquirrel

bigsquirrel Member

May 29, 2007
    Pimphis

Well, I did send her a message that I'd leave my wife and fly to China immediately, if she needed some "consoling". If you know what I mean.

12. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

The whole "2004 v. 2007, living in the past/it doesn't matter what someone did in the Olympic games two years ago" stuff? That was speaking in tongues. I heard: You are the vessel boy toy of Layla, Goddess of Rolfing. Find the Dementor and slay Him.

What did you hear?

13. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA

and my point is that it's too bad solo didn't see how this might be interpreted. she certainly has now, and has apologized for it.

14. Slater

Slater New Member

Hah. You got me. She just added me to you friends today.

15. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think any warm blooded straight man is with you on this one :D

16. jc in nh

jc in nh Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Canterbury, NH

More power to Chastain and Foudy. They strike me as bright, principled, articulate people who have trouble watching hard-won gains being so egergiously erroded and undermined.

And as for why Mia and Lil aren't speaking out - my guess is that Brandi did talk to Mia as she describes, that Mia is in agreement ... and that she isn't talking to the press because she's Mia, for goodness sake! When did she ever give the impression that she enjoyed being in the limelight or in the center of a bruhaha? As for Lil, she is the captain of a pretty devastated team that needs to play soccer on Sunday. I imagine she feels that this is not a good time for her to be giving interviews to the press about the state of US Soccer.

But anyway, as for Brandi and Julie, three cheers to them for "speaking truth to power."

17. taocpa

taocpa Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Bowie, MD USA

Good statement.

Time for everyone to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya."

18. Slater

Slater New Member

I don't hold hands with dudes or chicks that look like dudes!:D

19. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

I gotta look into this newfangled myspace thing that all you kids are into. It looks like it's phat.

20. taocpa

taocpa Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Bowie, MD USA

Okay, we don't have to hold hands. But it's "Kumbaya" time!;)

21. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA

The bottom line is for a world powerhouse to lose in fashion this team did is outrageous. Everyone should be disgusted, especially the "old guard" who fought very hard to establish the US as a dominant force.

22. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco

at least she is taking responsibility for her actions and for the misunderstanding. Far more than anything Ryan has or will do.

23. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Maui
    Re: Hope Goes Ballistic at News Conference

Sounds like Julie is angling for his job.:rolleyes:

24. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA

whatever they are, their observations are much more germain than any schlub's here.

25. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Re: Style of Play = U.S. Outcome?

I don't think that having a target man (person) up front necessitates a long ball game. There are plenty of teams out there that have a solid possession game with a target man. ManUtd with Van Nistelrooy. Chelsea with Drogba. Arsenal when Adebayor is on the field. And probably no team has has had more speed than Arsenal over the last few years, and their entire game is predicated on keeping the ball on the ground.