Soldiers re-enlist beyond U.S. goal

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sine Pari, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I await your spin

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So you have committed servicemen who are dedicated to their tasks. Good for you. What spin are you waiting for exactly?

3. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Well I've seen many many posts here about how soldiers want to get out of Iraq, the army. That the military is falling apart.

So the "spin" I await is from those who have posted the above as gospel, and now confronted with a different reality, will have to try and twist , or spin if you will, this news story to fit their view.

I thought that was rather simple to understand

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Well this is an obvios victory for GWB just as failure to reach targets was an obvious failure.

Just kidding.

Anyway, george, there was a sudden drop in recruitment in January. As if some incentive was lost or some calendar item was passed. What could that have been? Is there something inherent about January that makes it a bad month?

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the military offering "unprecedented cash bonuses" has nothing to do with it? The bit about "renewed sense of patriotism in fighting terrorism" strikes me as a little hyperbolic.

6. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

And so it begins...............

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, throwing serious cash at kids in their early 20s has nothing to do with retention....nothing at all.

By the way, I wonder how much the Army lowered its goal before this reporting period, like they did last month with the recruiting goals.

8. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Why is it you cannot believe that it might just be that they feel what they are doing is right ?

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there are some who feel that way, but the Army obviously felt it was necessary to throw "unprecendented" cash bonuses at people to get them to stay.

10. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Well that's progress I guess..........

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me a 6% increase without the extra cash, and I'll be impressed.

And by the way, is this an indication of how bad things are right now - that the only thing the Army can brag about is retention rates and (doctored) recruiting numbers? How sad is that?

12. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US military is quite effective at conditioning its troops to believe that they are fighting a war to a) Defend our way of life anb b) defend their spouses and children, and c) protect their units.

Everyone who was in the military recognizes this as accurate. This is what you are programmed to believe. You are the military, you protect your buddy, you protect your family, you protect your country.

When you are in a life-or-death situation with a group of colleagues, and you depend on them and they depend on you, chances are you'll sign up again, especially if there are no jobs at home, and you'll get a few thousand in cash to keep the wife and kids off of welfare checks for just a few months more.

Nobody is going to sign up, or put their life on the line for the truth, which is "Hey guys, you're in Iraq to settle an old score with Saddam, who tried to kill my daddy, and to score some of those big contracts for Halliburton, and finally, because we need the oil so when (if) you get home, you can buy a large SUV."

This mindless drivel about country and family and helping people who deserve to be free is just another smokescreen to hide the fact that Iraq was no threat to us, our way of life, or our Dorito-eating children.

I am glad there are people in the military who re-enlist, and I am glad they are willing to protect America. But to think that Iraq has anything to do with protecting America is a pipe dream soldiers tell themselves to avoid the really big question, which is... 'should I die for a smirking Yalie's family vendetta?"

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No spin necessary!

"The biggest thing is that soldiers believe in what they are doing," Head said.

What George Bush has said all along!

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

So you are saying then that soldiers are blind robotic fools, who if they only knew the truth as you see it would be at the next ANSWER rally yelling "hell no I won't go" ??

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Plus, the increase only makes up for a third of the projected troop deficit. Yeah, it's good news for the Army, but more in the "1 out of 3 ain't so bad" or "it could've been a lot worse" kinda way.

It's hard not to be bothered by the lowered standards for what constitutes "good news", but we've come to accept that lowering the bar to manufacture success is the right wing M.O. these days.

16. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I am saying that it is human nature to believe that which is convenient. It is better for morale of the individual and the collective to continue talking about giving freedom to the Iraqis and America is the best, most free country in the world and we've never lost a war and our sh!t smells like roses.

But just like there are no atheists in a foxhole, I'd be willing to bet that everyone wearing boots in Iraq has questioned, just for a moment, what the hell we're doing over there.

I find that the really quiet ones, and those who yell the loudest about how great everything -- those are the ones who've really thought about it. The quiet ones haven't decided, and the loud ones are trying to convince themselves.

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Sounds pretty good for the army. Good news is always good, even if its partial good news.

I would like to know more about historically, what % of troops re-enlist - are we seeing a higher % re-enlist? All I saw in your blurb was that the military exceeded their target. If they set their target really low (as compared to previous years) - then is the same % of soldiers re-enlisting progress - or just maintaining the status quo?

It is somewhat unsurprising either way though. there are many reasons to re-enlist, such as

1) fear of coming home without good prospects of employment

2) soldiers stationed with units that have not yet been sent to fight - presumably have a decent chance of re-enlisting, staying with their unit, and not seeing combat (especially with a shorter-term re-enlistment?). As opposed to new soldiers, who might presumably have a better chance of replacing someone in a warzone - which is generally the thought of potential new recruits these days.

3) scare tactics. Friends of mine posted stateside were told - 're-enlist, and we'll make sure you'll keep guarding base xxx for the next year/6 months. Don't re-enlist, and, well, get some extra suntan lotion and desert fatigues.'

4) stop-loss. Is that still going on? Cuz saying yes or no to re-enlistment does not matter a whole lot, if you don't get a ticket home either way. So re-enlist on more favorable terms and extra cash, cuz you'll be in uniform either way, right?

But any news that does not reduce the effectiveness of our military is good news, even if its not worth throwing a party over.

18. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That whole thing is spin....

19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BushCo spins so much that they have no idea what direction they're going.

I would love to see the stats on the number that were forced to re-enlist by being denied exit.

20. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Re: BushCo spins so much that they have no idea what direction they're going.

I'm sorry, "denied exit" ?

Can you elaborate on what that means to you

21. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he's referring to those whose enlistments were "extended" without consent.

22. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

You mean stop loss

Stop loss does not entail re-enlisting

It's an extension, and not always a happy one, of the CURRENT enlistment contract

It's not in any way shape or form a new one

Face it, a lot of folks reenlist because they like the job and believe in what they are doing. I know those are hard concepts to grasp these days. I guess that same level of committment can't be found at Starbucks or Borders

23. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The point still stands. It doesn't matter if it's a re-enlistment or an extension of a current enlistment, it's still a unilateral move for force retention. If these numbers are included as part of the overall retention goal, it's a sham.

24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the re-enlistment rate was mediocre when it wasn't bad, until they upped the cash incentives big-time.

edit: does anyone else find it funny that george and Mel have now shared an avatar?

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't doubt that, George. I also don't doubt that a lot of other people in the military are wondering WTF they got themselves into. And by saying that, I'm not in any way impugning the integrity and committment of those who still believe strongly in their mission.