Soldier survives attack; captures, medically treats sniper

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Soldier survives attack; captures, medically treats sniper

During a routine patrol in Baghdad June 2, Army Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a medic, was shot in the chest by an enemy sniper, hiding in a van just 75 yards away. The incident was filmed by the insurgents.

Tschiderer, with E Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was knocked to the ground from the impact, but he popped right back up, took cover and located the enemy’s position.

After tracking down the now-wounded sniper with a team from B Company, 4th Battalion, 1st Iraqi Army Brigade, Tschiderer secured the terrorist with a pair of handcuffs and gave medical aid to the terrorist who’d tried to kill him just minutes before.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unlike Superdave, I'll give you benefit of doubt, though.

I'm wondering if that GI won over the heart and mind of the wounded nuthead sniper.

3. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Ian left something at the end of the URL. Try this:

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-976420.php

Remarkable stuff.

4. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Unfortunately, I doubt it.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well done, but I assume he was captured in order to get information, not simply for the mercy of it.

6. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Ummm, I think he was captured because he was shooting at the soldiers.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I'd suggest you watch the video before making such cavalier and crass statements.

8. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    I think you assume wrong.

9. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Most likely it was both Dan

Cool story. I want that dude's body armor !

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't care either or both ways-- That's still the definition of professionalism... In fact it wouldn't hurt to have a medal that was about that kind of focus instead of "mere" bravery...

11. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Oh, for the love of...I'm saying he would have been right to up and kill him, but capturing him was not only the merciful thing to do, it was the smart thing to do. How is that wrong, let alone cavalier or crass?

12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The video is available, most of you guys know where. I think in this situation I can safely say, since the soldier is ok, that it actually was pretty cool to see him get back up right away and take cover.

Anyone know what caliber and type of round he was hit with?

edit: oops, just realized the vid is available on the army times site as well. Not where I saw it, but hey!

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    According to the title page of the video, it is a Dragunov sniper rifle. 7.62mm round with muzzle velocity of 830 m/s. It is a longer round (and thus heavier) than the 7.62 shot by the AK-47 and sent at a much faster speed. It is damn powerful and I am amazed the vest stopped it at such short range.

This means that the only man-portable weapon that can kill a US soldier when hit in the chest is a shaped-charge rocket (like the RPG-7).

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I assume then that the lack of effective small arms is a major reason that insurgents do not attack our forces directly unless forced to? The vast majority of our losses come from IEDs. I guess they haven't proven themselves to be too stupid.

Does anyone know what the rate of attacks on U.S. soldier foot patrols is? It seems far easier for the insurgency to target our lumbering patrol vehicles with roadside bombs. They can blow those up, but they can't take out a medic at 75 yards with a high powered sniper rifle. Interesting.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More proof of how truly professional our troops are.

16. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Let that go on the Moslem news service.

The medic should have amputed different parts of his body one by one and finished with taking off his fing head.

17. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Did anyone notice what that "freedom fighter" was saying?! I guess it doesn't matter to then whether they are shooting you or cutting your head off or simply praying. Interesting?

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I've got a Dragunov, it'd not a bad rifle but it's old and hasn't been updated for a while. 7.62 is 7.62, it's only heavier as the 7.62x54 is to 7.62x39. The bullet weight remains unchanged.

Personally, I would have put two in his head after I cut off his ears.