Soccernet article about MLS relocation

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Dec 1, 2005.

1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article, in briefly skimming it (which is all the time it's worth, IMO), appears to say "these folks need a friggin miracle right now, but it's not gonna happen, so start up the moving buses" without any recognizable research or up to date information about the real situations and chances of avoiding relocation.

Pisses me off that this is apparently the best this guy could do and that Soccernet thought it worthy to have as the big headline column.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=350735&root=mls&cc=5901

2. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, duh. And you can say the same thing about every other franchise. Without an owner controlled SSS they'll likely never turn a profit.

But it's easier to pick on KC and SJ.

3. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just me, but I believe EVERY other team in the league has their own stadium, or a proposed stadium, if not a contract to build one (Kraft owns the Razor and the Revs, so technically they have their own stadium even if they share it, because they control the revenues). SJ and KC are the only two left. Like it or not, that says something right there.

4. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me, though, that an article on potential MLS relocation would require research into where the two situations are at right now and how likely or unlikely it is that the relocations will occur. Just saying "get out the boxes and warm up the vans" doesn't educate the reader in any way as to what the actual situation in SJ and KC with ongoing negotions to justify his statements. That's where I feel this writer fails the reader.

5. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I love the analysis of why Lamar decided to sell. "What's the point?" :rolleyes:

The point is a shiny new Arrowhead for the Chiefs at taxpayer expense.

6. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one thing, Kansas City and San Jose have not "had their chance" to build stadiums. In 10 years of ownership, HSG never put out an RFP for a stadium. They commissioned one report, then backed down on including it as part of BiState II when the Royals objected. When they had restarted the process, behind closed doors, BiState II failed, and we all know what happened. We have interested locales, but they need to know that there's a team with an owner.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If the "apartment" is what I think it is, I've been in part of it - it's on the backside of his luxury box. Lamar definitely has a sweet setup inside the stadium.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had the opportunity to visit it and go upstairs where his memorabilia is on display. I also got to touch MLS Cup :D

One room upstairs had a bunch of unsorted stuff with piles of programmes, giveaways, autographed NFL helmets, gameballs, etc. Just piled up on tables and on the floor.

He also has a display of old toys and sporting games which was very cool. The Toy and Miniature Museum would probably kill for some of that stuff.

I didn't see any temperature, light and humidity controls though :(