Soccernet 12/18: Quakes Players Unhappy, Too

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ismitje, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Please don't spend anymore time on our boards.

2. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    True that you pay less in the way of taxes in Texas. However, property taxes in Texas are higher and they go up every year assuming the house appreciates in value (unlike California, where Proposition 13 keeps your property taxes at the same level for as long as you own your house).

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost me on this post.

On the context of Bill's post, on who I was responding to in the post you quoted (not Chowhog), and on the fact that I was just saying that Houston is much different than the stereotype being put out. I also said that nobody looks forward to (forced) change like this.

But I didn't mean to offend you with any of the conversation. Its easy enough to drop it. /shrug

4. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    If by college you mean graduate school, that is a possibility for a few of them.

Also possible: Play A-League in Seattle, Portland, Vancouver or elsewhere; assistant coaching at local universities; get heavy into youth soccer coaching (like Wes Hart did last season when he retired from MLS and moved back to Colorado); go overseas (if you are going to move, might as well make it a big move with a potential for a big payoff if you get some playing time on the right team); start your post-soccer playing career, whether in a soccer related business/profession or not.

5. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    that is because you are silenced by making life difficult, but pinching your wallet. So much for free speech.

BTW; Thanks Big Soccer.

6. bluelightningdad

bluelightningdad New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    SJ Quake Area
    Are you the same guy that earlier said this:

"I am actually contacting one of my friends that helps a lot of the professional athletes transition down here in Houston. He knows Oliver Luck (President, Houston MLS) and I am sure can contact him and find out how to coordinate this."

I thought it seemed incredibly "convenient" that you would have such a niche-oriented friend when you said it. Now after seeing the ridiculous pissing match you engaged in, I believe it even less. I could be wrong, but you now seem full of it. Wrong or right though, ya'll take care of our guys over there, ok? We love 'em, flat out.

7. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Wrong. The teachers' union and the California State Legislature and state courts are ruining the public schools, not the funding mechanisms.

8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TO could retire right now, and not make a dime for the rest of his life and he would still be a millionaire.

You can't compare Houston to the Bay Area in any way shape or form. So please stop trying. Just take care of our boys down in Houston.

9. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Please remove the "teacher's Union" comment and replace it with "parents" and "empty nesters."

Or I'll sick my union on you.

10. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I think the teachers themselves are great. It's the union I have the problem with.

Sorry for the OT.

11. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, they find other ways to tax us!

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, that guy's not from northern California.

San Jose fans are pissed right now, so I can't blame them for writing some of the wackier things that they're writing, like ex-Quakes players' not signing autographs for the fans after games at Robertson. However, some of the more bigoted remarks from them really saps whatever sympathy I have for them and really saps my enthusiasm for seeing them back in the league in the near future.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigotry.

15. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Never noticed you had any such enthusiasm to be sapped in the first place.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigotry.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigotry.

18. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Remarks by anyone about political differences between Houston and the Bay Area are not helpful and are a waste of bandwidth on the Big Soccer forums.

19. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I apologize to everyone of the Quake fans who were offended by some of my comments. At the beginning of this thread I was trying to have a civil debate and make a few comments about Houston. After getting a few "nasty" pm's and Quake fans continuing to pound the city of Houston, I finally had enough and started to debate with all "guns a blazin."

I know the fans in SJ are very upset and I know it will not be cured overnight (if ever). The Houston fans will take care of the players and staff who are coming from SJ and will help them however we can. Remember, the city of Houston and the citizens of Houston had nothing to do with SJ losing their team.

I think it probably would have been wise for me to stay off your board with all of the anger that the Quake fans still have making it a SJ vs. Houston fight. I won't be here on the Quake board anymore. Feel free to let us know on the Houston board what we can do to make the transition for these guys as smooth as possible.

Seeing some of the passion on BS for the Quakes, I really hope Houston can have the passion that you guys had for this team. I have contacted my friend who has contacts with the Astros, Texans, Rockets, and Aeros. He is going to contact Oliver Luck to see how he can help with the player's transitions to Houston. If Quake fans on this board are worried about me being involved, I will not.

Here is hoping for a team for San Jose in '07. I am sure it will be a good rivalry between Houston and SJ.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the political difference between Houston and the Bay Area are a big reason why the Earthquakes will be making their home in Houston as of 2006, I don't consider it a waste of bandwidth.

You know, let's get down to brass tacks. For all of the hot air about how the Bay Area is more enlightened and more worldly than we hayseeds in Texas, remind me which city committed $55 million of taxpayer dollars to providing a permanent home for the world's game? And which city, 250 miles to the south, was taking concrete steps towards doing the same before they even had a team? And now that the Earthquakes have moved, which city's media outlets have mostly moved to embrace the newcomers and which city's media outlets largely shrugged its shoulders?

Who are the hayseeds now?

21. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I've been to Houston, also, and it does not compare, dude.

You totally misunderstand what a bond this team and its fans have.

You don't deserve them... an expansion team, a la Real Salt Lake, is what you should have cut your teeth on. To get the MLS Supporters Shield winners...

We waited for six years to get a champion...

And I can't wait to gauge your reaction the first time AEG shafts you...

You better face up to the fact that you're fourth in their little evil, lying heart

22. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Go post on your own board, please, you make me sick.

23. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    So your reverse bigotry is OK? You are without a doubt the worst hypocrite on these boards.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me where I've tried to pass off bigotry as serious discussion.

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Q.E.D.