Soccer365 Article by Ziegler

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hal, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I don't know how to do the links to articles, so I'll just type it out. You should be able to find this by going to soccer365.com.

Robert Ziegler has penned a fair and balanced article entitled "Here's to Gazza" as an opinion piece at soccer365.

Barring typos, the link should be:
    http://soccer365.com/US_home/Features_Interviews/page_38_36295.shtml

It looks like the url got transformed on its own. Just in case it doesn't work, the ... abbreviated sections are .../Features_Interviews/page_38_36295.shtml

I'll add my vote to suiting Gazza up in DC United's kit.

Hal

2. Fniyonga

Fniyonga New Member

Jun 23, 2000
    DC
    A very interesting article.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Hal,

Thanks for the link!

Good article.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'm a little disappointed that the writer made it seem like the comments of a few SEs represented the views of the group. I'm a Screaming Eagle, and I want to see Gazza in a black shirt.

5. bware

bware New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    But, in truth, the voices of a few, louder SEs, do tend to represent the group...at least to the press.

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Ditto!

7. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article. I for one am encouraged by Gazza's arrival and am looking forward to seeing him play. He may be exactly what we need to make a playoff run.

TS.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this Ziegler fella has heard about Gazza drinking all those whiskey shots the other night.

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll second that emotion

10. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I have also paid dues to the SE's and wonder who it is (if they are) speaking for the group. I wouldn't think it is the Supporters Clubs business to be telling the team who we should and shouldnt sign like its some mass collective union of fans. We all cannot even agree on what beer we should have.

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's been my experience with the SEs that they're very careful to NOT speak for the group when they're talking to the press.

I imagine that these folks were just expressing their own opinions and perhaps the article just makes it sound like there's a concensus. Anyone who spends 5 minutes on these boards knows that's not the case.

12. DissonantNote

DissonantNote New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    SW/DC
    The article did say the SE comments were prior to this season. Whoever they were, it might be interesting to ask those same people their opinion today. Not that it's a case of desperation or anything now! ;)

I looked at the poll here on BS a few minutes ago, and it looked like close to 80% in favor of signing him... I guess not to many SE's here! :)

Just for reference, I am an SE too.

13. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    La Barra Brava wants Gazza and we cheer louder. He may have a few issues but we like him.

14. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Gazza will be signed. Im sure of it. I dont think he will need to impress much. Signing him will do more for the league then for the team, and thats what matters most.

The man is old and had or has bad habits. However, his popularity will bring what MLS had been craving for all this time, world recognition.

Ok so the world knows we (MLS) exist, but people will actually be looking into DC Uniteds web site or this forum to stay in tune with the latest gazza news. DC United will become a team the whole world will know about. Many writters will be employed just to keep up with his or the teams latest actions.

I am tired and need to sleep. I write later.............The dude will be signeddd

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off this letter is an opinion letter written by an SE (and as far as I know he's not a journalist). The event he's talking about is the Gold Cup event at Summers that Ray came to when he first joined the team back in the winter. Ray asked people there if they thought getting Gazza was a good idea, most at the time said no. The only reporter around was Dyson and I don't recall him writing anything we said down.

So before people start accusing the SEs of speaking for anyone maybe you should get your facts straight!

K

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Search the archives of New Republic and you'll find a couple of articles by said Mr. Zeigler. If we still had a BigSoccer archive, you could find links over on Bus and Media. So, I think he's a part time journalist, at least.

17. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be. At the time Ray was speaking with us no one identified themselves as a reporter so nobody was aware that anything they said was being taken down nor did anyone make any official statement on behalf of the club.

K

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hey folks, just to remind everyone what I posted originally....

I said I was disappointed that the writer made it seem like the comments of a few SEs represented the views of the group. I didn't say that was the case, only that the writer spun it a certain way.

19. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like anyone hired a banner towing airplane or anything.......

Someone just expressed an opinion. They're allowed.

Or at least they used to be.....

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, columnist may be a more accurate description.

21. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    And the columnist (psst, it's not a letter :) said "a GROUP of Screaming Eagles, one of the team's supporters' clubs, told the manager...."

Doesn't say it was an official Screaming Eagles position (as if there is such a thing re team personnel policy) or that every Screaming Eagle uttered this opinion in unison. Even this reference is in the context of "Some of DC United's hard core fans....are vehemently opposed to the move."

Nobody from the gathering (in a public place) is quoted, it's just an accurate recollection of a general sentiment among the group present at said gathering, cited as a means of tangibly conveying to a much broader readership that some fans didn't/don't want Gazza to be signed.

22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This was the going attitude at the time and even as close as within the last two weeks. No one (or very few) wanted to see DC United become the "Land of the Over-the-Hill Has-Beens" with retreads like Ian Bishop and Ivan McKinley. That was however, before this terrible season and now it seems the worm has turned and anyone (perhaps we can coax Pele out of retirement) would be welcome if they brought a few goals and a win or two...