Soccer, The Most Popular Sport In The World But...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by F.L.I.P., Dec 6, 2008.

1. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Are you sure?

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In a single country, possibly not. Overall, it'd be amazing if it didn't.

If comparing individual leagues, you also have to factor in the TV market. None of the richer nations have anything like the USA's 300 million population, and a game with loads of room for ad breaks ads up to a whole lot of advertising revenue.

If England's population was 300 million, the domestic tv rights would be worth 6 times as much. Would that eclipse the NFL's tv deal? I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be a million miles away.

Also note that although the premiership sells its rights around the world, overseas rights don't go for much. The bulk of tv money, even for the premiership, is still domestic.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The biggest reason is that every NFL game is essentially a 3-hour infomercial. That's followed by the fact America is the world's largest economy.

I'm not so sure about your #2. Parity doesn't help much. Otherwise why is the EPL the most popular football league in the world? The Mexican league is probably the most similar to the NFL, using playoffs and giving most teams a decent chance to win a championship. But I can't say I even know one non-Mexican who rates that league as their favorite.

4. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    When the rights for sports are sold to television stations a lot of the money paid for sports like NFL and the NBA come down to the fact that they have a lot of stoppages so ads can be flooded into the breaks whereas in football there are no stoppages in the games to allow for any ads besides the HT break.

I'm not sure exactly how the business side of the NFL works, but i assume that a lot of the money made from the TV Deals and marketing etc are dispersed between the teams???

Also don't forget that most football clubs have to fund their own stadia, while American football franchises have the government get their citizens to pay taxes for theirs.

5. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    In the latest deal, overseas rights are worth about 25% of the total.

The Mexican league is second rate though, and in a poor country. You'd have to introduce parity in a top rich European league to see the effect. If Wigan had the same chance of winning the league as Chelsea they'd probably get bigger crowds. And the TV ratings might go up if there were more than four teams that armchair fans wanted to watch, and if the big four didn't win so many games so predictably.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Go back to the 40s/50s, when there was a salary cap (albeit per player rather than per squad) as there were still differences

Code:
    Division One 1948-1949
       Club 			Average vs '48
     1 Newcastle United 		53.839 	  NEW
     2 Arsenal 			51.478 	- 6,2%
     3 Manchester United 		48.808 	-11,1%
     4 Aston Villa 			47.320 	 14,2%
     5 Chelsea 			46.362 	- 2,6%
     6 Sunderland 			45.220 	  5,4%
     7 Everton 			45.138 	  2,1%
     8 Liverpool 			44.031 	- 0,6%
     9 Wolverhampton Wanderers 	43.690 	 10,2% 
    10 Charlton Athletic 		40.216 	 10,9% 
    11 Manchester City 		38.699 	- 9,4% 
    12 Birmingham City 		38.453 	  NEW 
    13 Portsmouth 			37.082 	 18,8% 
    14 Sheffield United 		34.387 	 37,0% 
    15 Middlesbrough 		34.292 	  1,2% 
    16 Bolton Wanderers 		34.113 	 16,0% 
    17 Preston North End 		33.226 	 12,6% 
    18 Burnley 			30.290 	- 9,9% 
    19 Stoke City 			29.948 	- 5,2% 
    20 Derby County 		29.798 	 10,2% 
    21 Blackpool 			24.882 	- 1,3% 
    22 Huddersfield Town 		22.151 	-13,3%
       Total 			38.792 	  7,4%

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Still a lot less variation in attendances as there is today. We'd never get 34k today, even if it was free.

8. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Its only because 32 NFL teams divide revenue and fans in a country of 300 million people. Soccer teams have about 1000x more competitions.

If there were even only 200 soccer teams theyd be way richer than those 32 nfl teams.

9. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another point, perhaps it was previously mentioned: Football has countless breaks throughout the game that allows for so many advertisements. If you sat down and watched an american football game you'd probably watch 3 dozen commercials and that's not even counting half-time.

10. S.Nova

S.Nova Member

May 23, 2008
    The NFL makes so much money off of so much crap it's ridiculous. Did you know that the new New York Giants stadium (in new jersey) will have season ticket holders pay 10,000 dollars just for the right to buy a season ticket? That the University of Phoenix paid the Arizona Cardinals 154 million dollars just to call the Stadium Arizona plays in "University of Phoenix Stadium"? A Super Bowl commercial costs 1 million dollars for 30 seconds? They have money coming out of their ears. Doesn't surprise me the least.

And it's not like their tapping a global fanbase. The Steelers have fans in every city but Man U claims to have 330 million fans. If everyone game 10 bucks they'd be worth more than all NFL teams.

11. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Thats what surprised me so much though at first thought, the NFL being only played in one country and having most of their fans restricted in that country having richer teams (in terms of value) than the most global sport with the most fans worldwide.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Being a global sport just means there are teams all over the entire world so the money's spread out a lot more. It also means that clubs can't get away with ripping people off in the same way if there's more competition.

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    As Yanez and other have mentioned. A lot of it is down to the number of professional clubs. Think of how big the Champions League is with those 32 teams. Now if those 32 clubs were the only Professional Clubs in the world then they would all be much, much bigger, as all football fans would support one of these teams.

Similarly if there were hundreds of professional GridIron teams around the world then the 32 biggest Clubs would be much smaller as loyalties and subsequent revenues would be divided.

14. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Accumulate the total value of every single football club in the world then compare it to total value of every NFL franchise to see which sport truly is the richest. I don't think i need to say who will come out on top yeh?

15. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This thread is going round in circles. 39 posts all virtually the same.