Soccer stores in DC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by IJS, Aug 9, 2004.

1. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My wife and I will be in DC end of August for a seminar at GWU. Sadly United will not be playing a match while we are there but whenever we go to other citys on trips I like to check out the local running, biking, outdoor and soccer stores. So looking for any recommendation for soccer stores in the DC area on or near walk from a Metro stop. Well in staying in central DC area but having been to DC in the past (but not since 2000) know how great the Metro is (probably only second to the underground in London).
    Cheers
    Ian

PS Might be a Fire supporter (due to living in Chicago) but always liked DC and do follow the results especially the first two years of MLS.

2. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    I have to agree with you on our Metro being second only to London.

I know of some good Soccer stores but none that are right off the Metro. I'll have to let the DC residents help you out there.

Good luck

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try SoccerKicks on Wilson Blvd. in Arlington... (close to Ballston Metro but a bit beyond walking distance)... they have quite a bit for a small store!

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    One of the best soccer stores in the area is Matt Godek's Soccer & Rugby supply. They're in Merrifield,Va just a couple of blocks from the Dunn Loring Metro which on the Orange line. You can reach them at 1-800-872-7842

5. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for the replies guys. Being from England (but now in Chicago, wife is American) rugby is my second team sport. Might have to check this out. Cheers !

6. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is one of the best soccer stores in the area, but if you go, be prepared to be nonplussed.

It's in a warehouse, 'round the back, up some cement steps next to a loading dock. You'll feel like you're in the wrong place until you open the solid metal door and step inside.

Then you're in nirvana.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would definitely go here before I'd go to that Wilson Blvd waste of space.

8. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    Strange. I think I've passed this place a few times while getting to 495 from work but thought it was only a Rugby place. Is it in a warehouse looking building with a USA Rugby sign or something similar out front?

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely a warehouse-looking space.

I've said this several times before but the buttholes at the Wilson Blvd Soccer Kicks place haven't quite mastered the concept of customer service. Unless by "customer service" you mean "nasty sneers in the customer's general direction."

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You will love Godeks, then. I encourage the visit. Our kids got a lot of their soccer equipment there, surrounded by a rugby world.

And Eric, check it out. Lots of good soccer stuff. And very friendly. I remember seeing in a display case a soccer T-shirt commemorating I can't remember what game...but I really wanted it. It was part of a display, not for sale. But they sold it to me anyway. Nice folks.

They understand customer service.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Godeks will also give you a discount if you show your Screaming Eagle membership card :) I used to go by there alot, but now that I don't work in Tyson's I haven't been in over a year. They used to let me put SE mebership forms out on their counter, and they always had cool Olympic and WC stuff. Their cleats seem expensive, but they have a large selection.

While it is close to Dunn Loring, it is not in a pedestrian-friendly area, so you may want to grab a quick cab ride. However, you'll probably have to tell the driver how to get there - just tell him to go up Gallows and turn into the center AFTER 29 and the 7-11/Taco Bell

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hate to disagree with ya big guy, but it's way before 29 and Taco Bell on Gallows. It's about a two or three block walk on the right hand side.

13. eric6854

eric6854 New Member

Apr 20, 1999
    Virginia
    Payed closer attention this morning. It literally is right beside the Metro stop. Will drop by tomorrow before heading to the stadium.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D'OH! In my brain, I was coming the wrong way. I gave someone directions there from Greveys/50 the other day - and that is stuck in my head.

Sorry - my bad - Chico is correct!!!!!! Godek's is right where the walk further would become pedestrian unfriendly, it's fine up to there.