Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm out of the cable loop. Does Rev. Kiper have that many defenders? I'm surprised this generation can even follow a drafted player's career for two seasons and still be able to remember his draft status.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I didn't see it but my assumption is if it's being done, it's probably given the rise of antivaxxers in the last 20+ years. Along with anti-science.

That said, I'll watch it when this Chelsea game is over.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so bad that Mike Florio was speculating the Niners were going to take a run at Kirk Cousins.
    The hate is beyond irrational considering he plays behind an O line of Trent Williams and four NPCs.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I agree with you, but I wanted to focus on the comment I quoted.

I wonder if you can really separate the values from the dogma and still have Christianity? The values are largely the same as in other religions (and in humanism, I suppose but I might be using that term incorrectly). As such, if the focus is solely on the values there is little reason for Christianity as separate from other religions (and humanism).

As an atheist I do try to embrace what Jesus taught. That is more or less my moral compass. But it's not really specific to Jesus or Christianity, it's consistent with me wanting to be a decent human being based on our shared humanity.

Mike03, rslfanboy, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    There's a lot more Gooners in this forum than just Le Arse fans! :sneaky:

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That works. Some people need an antropomorphic God in their set of beliefs, or some sort of spirit, or source, or karma, whatever, but I think if you embrace the values it all comes up to the same thing.

If I'm understanding what you are saying, as an atheist you embrace moral values based on what you call "our shared humanity", and in my view that works just as well.

What we hopefully want to avoid is a future in which people lose all sense of values once they discard the faith of their ancestors.

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

But they won't. Values and morals don't come from religion, they come from a culture's worldview - how the culture understands the social and natural environment in which it lives. I've mentioned before how I give my students an assignment where I provide three or four key components of a culture's understanding of the social and physical environment and then have them figure out how the society would view certain moral issues. They end up getting it right about 99% of the time, even though they have no idea what culture they are focusing on. I've also mentioned the study that shows prejudice is more closely tied to rejection of evolution than acceptance of evolution (part of how the natural environment works).

The worldview is the critical component, not the religion which is based on the worldview.

Mike03, rslfanboy, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  8. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Fun teams for me to watch are Bournemouth and Chrystal Palace. :thumbsup:

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right, but it’s still important to pass our important human values to the next generation, because they will continue to face the same human-created challenges that we face.

10. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Totally, but that's not unique to religion. As I said, a fairly comprehensive study showed that our modern human values (all people are equal and worthy of respect and good treatment) is tied more closely with acceptance of evolution than beliefs about religion.

11. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    isn't it about time for this thread to be closed with a part 2 starting up?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s not unique to religion, but historically religions and traditions have played an important role in inspiring people to live up to their good values.

Today we live in times of unprecedented abundance, and yet the failure of our generation to live up to our values that we've been taught has resulted in so much unnecessary suffering.

Future generations - if they manage to survive in the world we are handing to them- are much more likely to face scarcity and hardships, and for them it will become even more important to stay true to their human values. So, it matters to pass on values we've learned from our parents. In my family’s case it's Christ’s values - like humility, compassion, service, justice, forgiveness, endurance etc - and in other families it may be traditional Jewish or Muslim or Buddhist or Hindi values, or the teachings of Confucianism, or the traditional values of a small tribe in a small Island, etc.

It matters to teach these values that were gifted to us by our parents and ancestors, and pass them along to our children and future generations, just as it matters to teach them all about our accumulated human learning and science. It’s the least we can do for them, considering the shape in which we are leaving our world to them.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina