Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Professional Pickleball
    Major League Lacrosse

It depends on what circle you live in. When I was still in LA, I was a very soccer-centric circle, so the Galaxy got a lot of attention...amongst us and our news sources.

I can't understand why anybody would want to go to Turkey now. The teams and the league are a mess.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nobody's used The Tigers yet.

lol

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dude has forgotten the Wiz, Burn , and Metrostars. America and those wacky sports names. This is football.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Disasters too. Fire, Earthquakes, some kinda Fusion going down in South Beach.

BocaFan and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But that number rises with the number of clubs that invest in their rosters.

Valencia at least once, Atletico twice, I think, maybe Depor?
    How many times has a team in Spain made a decision to invest in the roster to the degree that it brought them returns?

Me? I remember Villanova for who they beat. I was glad they won, tho.

You're on this for real. Please tell me why it stuck with you to the degree that it did. There was no intent on my part to insult or demean. When I think of scrappy, I think of Steve
    Wojciehowski from Duke. I'm not gonna lie, that shit bothered the living ******** out of me. I don't know anything about dude at all, could be a great human being. Probably is.

I also think of Fred Biletnikoff, who did not bother me at all.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It would be difficult to come up with worse or more on-the-nose cringeworthy nicknames than those. Even something like Hawaii Kamikazees is only on par with those.

Ok, maybe I can think of a couple worse ones but will stop here.

M, Auriaprottu and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Played for Coach Bighouse at WSSU.
    '67 DII title, Stephen A wasn't there for it.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I mean, we already got a Chicago Fire

The Superior Fitzgeralds
    Olympique Explosiv
    The Tulsa Patriots

BocaFan, Dr. Wankler and M repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wake me up when they make it to the Saudi Arabian league.

BocaFan, bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's the last chance when you can't get anything else. The league has been ruined by corruption

soccernutter repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I had an an ex that made me watch this and SATC. Fun fact, I bought her the DVD of the money and hit the jackpot as I won her the sweepstakes for the fancy 900 Shoes.

Anyway, I'll never forget how I did Academy awards that I was also forced to watch. Hathaway and Blunt we're going to present and decide it to do your presentation like they were still in character afraid of Streep. When she caught on she quickly took off the glasses and gave the look and intent of her character from DWP. it was amazing to me how she just own one act quickly could totally embody one of her characters. I remember being similarly impressed watching Angela Bassett be interviewed and she was talking about Shakespeare and then started quoting Lady Macbeth. It was so fast the way she just flipped the switch and became Lady Macbeth.

It's those kinds of instances where I think to myself wow, acting is really a talent and a skill.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Silva looks tiny…

luftmensch repped this.
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's like that old NCAA public service ad that used to air during broadcasts: "99.99% of our student athletes turn pro. In something other than their sport."

Good for him.

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Co-signed. I think #15 globally would be the close to the absolute ceiling, and I'm not sure the league will ever hit it. But it will top out somewhere closer to 15 than 30.

As long as the UEFA Champions League is the pinnacle of club soccer, MLS will always be a second-tier league. But it can be a damn strong one.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's working great in England.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bummer. Man I used to love watching Galatasaray in the Champions League back in the day. Ali Sami Yen was a fortress.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    2nd-tier is a stretch much less upper 2nd-tier. Second tier is more like Ligue 1, Brazilian league... maybe Portuguese and Eredivisie. Argentine is already third tier IMO.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, if there are only four 'first tier' leagues in your world, then maybe.

I'd argue that "First tier" is only meaningful if you include 10-12 leagues.

Much like "World Class" this is a category with completely arbitrary parameters.

Deadtigers and luftmensch repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree that its quite subjective. That said, I doubt any Eredivisie team could finish top 6 in the EPL, so for me that means those leagues have to be on entirely different tiers. If they're placed on the same tier, it kind of defeats the purpose of sorting things in tiers. But that's just me.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EPL is just on another level--there's so damn much money. Back when Leicester City won in 2015, they were the 17th wealthiest (or something)* club in the Premiership...but they would have been Top-5 in the Bundesliga, La Liga, or Serie A.

*"Wealthiest" or "Market value" or "wages" or some other financial metric--I looked it up at the time but am too lazy to try and find out 9 year-old info now. :)

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's really sad how far Turkey has fallen. I was there in 1996. Tansu Ciller was the PM, and I thought it was ironic that a 99% Muslim country had a female leader long before the US ever would. The whole country was absolutely amazing! Friendly people, delicious food, perfect weather, great balance between history/ancient ruins and modern beaches, and everything was ridiculously cheap! I bought a leather jacket that would have been at least $250 in the US for $44.

We went to 3 Euro games in 3 nights in Istanbul. Galatasaray beat up on some no-name Traktor/Lokamotiv/Dynamo team from Moldova, 6-0, after eeking out an uncomfortable 1-0 bunker ball result in the first leg. The next night we saw Fenerbache hang tough, but eventually lose to Juve in the Champions League and then we saw Besikas vs a Norwegian side where it looked like they were going out on away goals but scored in stoppage time to win it. The place went nuts! Earlier that day I read an article in the English paper where the FA suggested to fans that, if you're going bring your gun to the game, consider using blanks instead of real bullets! :eek: I didn't ask what kind of ammo people were using when they shot off their guns in celebration! Day-im! It's a pretty densely populated city and that bullet is gonna come down somewhere...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And insecurity.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I spent a great three-day weekend in Istanbul in 2000. Been wanting to go back ever since.

Dr. Wankler repped this.