Soccer Specific Laces

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by mretrum, Nov 6, 2014.

1. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 mretrum, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    I tried a couple different yarn types and tensions. I took apart several Nike, Adidas, and Mizuno laces together with the manufacturer and leaned on their expertise to get the best result. We then went through multiple iterations to get things just right.

Polyester is the ideal material for this job. It is washable and resistant to moisture, stains, abrasion, mold, sun, and stretching. The specific yarn being used is special type of textured polyester that is a bit stiffer than normal, but is strong and really holds a knot well.

jayc23, Mercurial1994 and noob-bob repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Thanks for the laces, mretrum! These are really nice. They are very similar to the ones in my Trequartistas, but a little stiffer. And a huge upgrade over the original ones that came with the Futsal Blitz.

Here's the obligatory product shot, even though they're not in as fancy of boots as everyone elses:
    [​IMG]
    They don't look as bad as I thought they might, even though they don't match the orange. These have given new life to my nearly two year old turf boots. I'd probably get some black ones from you if you ever offer them, though.

mretrum and b0sk1 repped this.
  3. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boots look great! We'll get you a more appropriate color soon enough :)

holden repped this.
  4. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    any chance to buy em or something?

Also, any chance of getting em as Long as the one's on the Mizuno Morelia 2's. Reason being I like being able to tie em an extra round around the arches for abit of "flywire" esque placebo feel support to make me feel super fast.

5. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ I've got 1 pair of free samples left in Red 44". Purchasing will be available soon, lots of moving pieces coming together.

I'll have to check on my Morelia 2 laces. I buried those crappy things somewhere deep. There will be a 52" (132cm) as the longest length starting out and I'm not sure they will be quite long enough for doing the wrap around.

6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mine arrived this morning thanks - haven't had chance to put them in any boots yet but will do for my next session. I like the feel of them though. I have to ask. How much will you be selling these for if they take off?

appleCORR

7. Jonny98

Jonny98 Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Southampton
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    "Tentative pricing is set at $5.99 or 3 for $14.99 (USD)."

8. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

Well, I'll be more than happy to take em off your hands for a test run, I'll pay for shipping to Singapore!

Don't mean to be rude, but interested to hear your opinions on why the Morelia 2 laces are crap. for me its been head and shoulders above every other lace I've had so far. for some reason it doesn't come off at all during games compared to other laces, ditto what I've seen from over on the chinese version of bigsoccer.

9. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've noticed that they seem to be a bit more elasticated than other laces, only a little bit but if you pull on them or twist them around something you can definitely feel it. My one wish for them is not to constantly keep coming undone. I must have had to tie my F50 laces about 20 times tonight completely did my head in as i had to keep removing my gloves.

appleCORR

10. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a personal preference. The Morelia and Morelia Neo (both MIJ) laces I've had are made of cotton and I'm just not a fan of cotton laces for soccer where they are getting wet and dirty. IMO there is a reason why 99% of modern soccer shoes (or any outdoor sport) come with laces made of synthetic materials. That being said, one of the benefits of cotton, as you've pointed out, is that they will hold a knot well because the natural fibers aren't as slippery as synthetic fibers. I'm using a specific type of polyester yarn that is textured to help combat this.

b0sk1 repped this.
  11. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note taken on the elasticity.

With regards to coming undone, I've been wearing various pairs of sample laces for months without issue. That said, I can't recall having major problems with any of my other boots like you're describing with the F50s. Give them a shot, I'm curious if they solve your problem.

12. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

I absolutely 100% agree with you, gets to me all the time that I spend time and effort to clean up my white morelias but I can't do the same for the laces. But I hate to double knot, and I turn the extra round so I need the laces to hold a knot well so I've lived with the cotton.

Quite excited to see if yours can change all of that though. can't wait and many thanks!

13. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they soak in the dirt and start to smell funky if you don't wash them. To get stubborn laces clean I use a bit of detergent and color-safe bleach and soak them overnight in cold water. Then in the morning I scrub them together with my hands. A labor of love for sure...

jayc23 repped this.
  14. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am going to pop them in my F50 and see if they make a difference. I find F50 laces tend to come undone more in wet conditions because of the wax like finish on them, they just don't lock together very well. Plus the laces on mine are quite short but I can still tie a decent size bow. Will send you a picture once I've changed the laces :)

appleCORR

15. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all, wanted to share a few things on the shoelace project.

Products are finally completed! This is what they look like in completed form:

[​IMG]

Here are a few quick boot photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have a narrower 'speed' lace in development for Vapors, Hypervenom, F50, etc. I think this prototype needs to go a bit narrower yet.

[​IMG]

temesgen, stphnsn, b0sk1 and 2 others repped this.
  16. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    These look awesome in the packaging! How much thinner is the 'speed' lace compared to the normal one?

17. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Oli! The thicker lace is about 6mm, where the thinner lace is about 4mm. It sounds insignificant, but the look is quite different between the two.

Oli Coultas repped this.
  18. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    what's up with the 'speed' lace? Is it like the 'dribble tex' kind of Gimmick :p

on a side note, HURRY UP AND START TAKING ORDERS. absolutely loved the laces I got!

19. ezekiel2517lim

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Those look great! You have a site to take orders or is everything through messages right now? I'm ready to buy a pair or two whenever you're ready to sell

20. mretrum

mretrum Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busy busy. Shop is currently being built, but you guys can email me at info@knotley.com to get it sorted out!

21. Bob-bob

Bob-bob Red Card

Jan 22, 2015
    Should I send my feedback to that E-mail too? This is obviously noob-bob and I was banned because I didn't accept Johnny as my one true all mighty god. Sorry mretrum but I didn't get to send my feedback before I was banned.

I did not violate any rules and I will not accept my red card unless you can prove I did. There is an infinite number of IPs and E-mails so keeping me banned is not going to work.

22. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    haha :theres an infinite number of ip's and emails... you cant hold me down." i dont know why but i find that funny.

Just stumbled across this and I am very interested.

I I would love some black laces (and maybe some silver). will pm you to keep in touch

23. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well there are an infinite number of bans I can hand out as well......if a life goal is to keep annoying the BS Boot Community, then I'd say Bob has bigger problems than I originally thought. BTW, so people know his ban had nothing to do with my dislike of him or his aggressive criticism of me....it was due to his continually abusive and poor interaction with other members. Not just one thing, but many stackable events.

Per the laces....I have my pair, but I have yet to use them due to some struggles with my knee and advice from my Orthopod to cull the playing until I can sort it out. For what it is worth, they seem high quality to the touch at this point.

Alex57910, mretrum and hahanice repped this.