Soccer Source Top 25 Weekly Rankings

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Ed-D, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As is wont to happen after so many upsets in continental competition, the Top 25 sees its first real shake-up this week. We have a new number one, while clubs that looked like contenders (Aston Villa, AC Milan) were exposed as mere pretenders. A lot to report, in other words. Read on here to get caught up on the carnage.

2. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh wow two Mexican Squads very nice!

3. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep. Toluca are unbeaten and are one of the few (if not only?) teams to beat Chivas this year. Too bad they aren't in the Libertadores! It will be interesting to see how Chivas do at Caracas.

4. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    AS long as they come out strong we should be fine, I like the way the team is playing right now

5. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Wow, Milan completely thrown out? A bit much, if you ask me ^^

Btw, Werder are indeed weird this season... 5:3 against Bayern, 5:4 against Hoffenheim, 5:1 against Hertha, not beaten in 4 matches against Milans 2 top teams, this weekend 0:0 against Bayern when they lost Naldo to a red card after 20 minutes! But at the same time merely 2 points in 4 matches against Bielefeld and Gladbach, no win against either Pana or Anorthosis... I fear St Etienne wasn't a good draw for them, teams that play against relegation are not Werders thing this year :/

6. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Your ability to predict HSV losses is almost frightening...

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep. It gets worse too. I had to drop them this week, as much as I didn't want to. At least you're through in the DFB Pokal though.

8. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After all the shake up last week, this week was remarkably calmer. It's just the calm before the storm though, as the Champions League, which restarts tomorrow, is sure to provide one or more jolts. But for now, here are this week's rankings.

9. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Diablos rojos= Red Devils ;)

10. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I don't know much (or anything) else in Spanish save for a few curse words but I do know that. It was a joke.

11. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh lol my bad :eek:

12. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's ok i don't expect people to get my irrelevant sense of humor

13. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Small correction: Bayern won 5:0 in Lisbon, not 3:0. And I honestly doubt that even a German club in this weird season can manage to lose a 5 goal advantage in one home match ;) Also, Sporting was in the top 25 at the time, so you should add that match to the against-top-25-clubs-list :)

btw, I'm not really a HSV fan... they were my best hope for a different champion than Bayern this year though, but I kind of doubt that they'll fullfill that dream now :/ Maybe Hertha manages a miracle, but they have a tougher Bundesliga schedule still ahead of them than most of their competition, including Bayern.

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A decisive week. That giant wailing sound you hear is Italian soccer fans lamenting the exit of all three of their nation's clubs from the Champions League--and with it, any chance of one claiming the No. 1 spot at the end of the season. But who is this week's number one? Was the ranking committee willing to forgive Man United's 4-1 home loss to Liverpool? Or would Barcelona reclaim the spot? Only one way to find out. By reading on here.

15. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Top 25 looks an awful lot like the old one...but HSV is back in it (and you know what that means)

16. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A week that separated the men from the boys in European soccer. The four Champions League finalists are set. Do they represent the best four clubs in the world? Not by a longshot, though it is hard to argue that any of the four belong outside the Top 10. The UEFA Cup semifinalists are set as well. Did any of them crack the Top 10? You'll just have to read on to find out!

19. kavi

kavi New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
  20. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top 25 is live and has a new No. 1! Check it here.

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot has happened and much of it exactly like readers of this blog might have anticipated. The Top 25 once again rang true as predictor of European Champions League results. But in the UEFA Cup, things did not exactly go according to script. Meanwhile, the swine flu has thrown a wrench in the Copa Libertadores, which will unfortunately prevent us from getting realistic gauge of Mexican league clubs against their South American rivals. Read on.