Soccer Source Top 25 Weekly Rankings

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Ed-D, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the Aug. 18 ranking. Enjoy!

2. yufu14

yufu14 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Overall great list, but too much based on statistics and past performances. They take out some important factors as well imo.

3. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Well, this early in the season such a list has to be even more subjective than it is even in the best of cases.

4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Let me guess: you have no idea how to turn the results of the last weekend into a sensible ranking and you're hoping noone will notice if you don't even try? :D

6. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA actually I'm on holiday and didn't want to be bothered.

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, what happened to all the Man Utd fans who were complaining because their team wasn't #1? The Soccer Source ranking committee once again proved its mettle with the choice of Chelsea, which is suddenly not looking very controversial after Blues saw off Man. City Saturday.

The world's top 25 soccer clubs as of Sept. 15, 2008

9. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we approach the one year anniversary of the Top 25, the Soccer Source ranking committee was faced with arguably our toughest task yet: deciding this week's #1. The identity of the top club was of course cast into doubt after last week's #1 was outplayed and outcoached for large portions of yesterday's game, which came against a team that did not even field its best player. The 1-1 final spared Chelsea the ultimate ignonimy of losing their first game of the season--at home no doubt. But would the top club in the soccer world really let that happen? How would we decide?

Here's how

10. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    nice to see the hoops in there.

i'm expecting us to go onwards and upwards with Samaras and Maloney starting to hit stride and Crosas being integrated into the starting line up more and more.

yes we were fairly poor against Aalborg but we still had more than enough chances to finish the game off.

11. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither wind nor rain nor stock market crashes nor presidential debates could keep the Top 25 ranking committee from convening for its weekly session.

Here are this week's rankings.

12. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the last Top 25 before a two week break for international competition. It was a very interesting week, with several top 10 teams losing key matches. How would that affect matters? Let's take a look.

The Top 25 has a new feature: a tally of how each club has performed against teams that are (or were) in the Top 25.

13. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    mmh... no Hamburg? they are not only leading in the Bundesliga, they also beat Unirea in UEFA Cup... a no-name-team, I know, but ahead of Cluj in the Romanian league ;)

Of course, after I advertise them here, Hamburg will certainly lose the next couple of Bundesliga matches... you were absolutely right last week, the Bundesliga is a mess, more unpredictable than it has been in years, and the higher a team is in the table, the less they seem to care about the unnecessary nuisance elsewhere called the defense ^^

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Hamburg and they did appear in the list earlier in the season but got dropped when they lost to Wolfsburg. If they keep it up they'll definitely be back though.

15. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    ... and as soon as you've included Hamburg, they pretty much force you to throw them out again :p I guess Udinese will be the worthy replacement... the 2 Bundesliga clubs that might deserve inclusion based on domestic form are unlikely to get into your list because they don't play international competitions, it's really kind of weird this year ^^ But at least Bayern is picking up form, I guess they'll make a jump up in your list after this week :p

17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Soccer Source Ranking Committee faced a crucial dilemma, with last week's top three teams all dropping points in their games. What would we do? Read it here to find out.

18. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll hurry up and fix that before anybody else notices

19. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    As a sidenote: The next round of the CL is not the Quarterfinals. It's the "Achtelfinale", "Octavos", "2nd Round" or "Round of 16", depending on language and preference :p. That's the round Barca and Inter are already qualified for. To qualify for the Quarterfinals, they'll first have to survive another round ;)

And Lüttich is the German name of Liége, so you are correct there :)

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah good call

yes I know. Luettich-Bastogne-Luettich. So what is the German word for Bastogne?

22. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    According to Wikipedia, it's Bastenach, but it's not in use anymore.

23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thing! Sounds like bastard! :)

24. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're back and better than ever, after a two week absence that actually lasted three weeks (you have MLS Cup to thank for that. Covering U.S. soccer is a very consuming effort, but somebody's got to do it). But a lot has happened so check out the rankings.

25. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I am not sure if you are involved in compiling these or are just reporting them. If you are part of the compilers you should correct an error in the Liverpool entry. Spurs did not beat Liverpool at Anfield, it was at White Hart Lane. If basic facts like these are overlooked then credibility of the list is severely damaged. Either fix the error or be derided. ;)