Soccer Saturday, "Naperville you are crap" thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Lucid, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You know it's coming tommorow. I love how the league switched out a SS game in KC a few weeks back for a game in NE, which I figured only meant they were for sure going to move this game as well, but nope... I guess not. I think everyone would rather look at 10k in Arrowhead vs. 10k in Naperville on ESPN.

Anyways... all complaints about how crappy the game looks on TV tommorow go here and they will be forwarded to the proper authorities.

Thank you.

2. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

I agree. I'm a Fire fan & right now I envy every other stadium in MLS. I believe (and quote this) Ante Razov said once in a newspaper that it was like playing on a little sandbox. OUCH! But it's probaly the truth. And at least everone else has real grass:(

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real grass isn't everything.

I was watching a little bit of the A-league Rhinos v. Montreal match. There was real grass covering a very distinguishable baseball infield, complete with pitcher's mound, and I would rather watch a match w/ football lines on fake grass than that crap.

It's the football lines and the pitch size that make the stadium hard to look at on tv. There's no way you can tell that's not real grass on tv. I've known people who didn't realize it wasn't real until I told them it wasn't live.

However, I agree that nationally-televised matches should not be shot at home from Naperville.

The production that we're subjected to by ESPN when they're there doesn't help either. It makes things look worse than they are.

4. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

You're probaly right. Lines are important. But I'm praying that the Fire don't stay there for more that 2 seasons (really praying!)

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just happy there's a game tomorrow on ESPN2, and that's the story I'm sticking to.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they've found a higher location for the TV cameras. The previous ESPN games at Naperville were shot just above field level, giving them the look of a 3rd rate high school football broadcast.

7. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Time to go

Right on! Well, that's my time FlashMan. I'll probaly be back tomorrow after the game in MLS & World Rivalries (my favs). Night!

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Of all the MLS matches that could be shown ... :rolleyes:

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    nope, as of last Saturday the cameras were still in the same place.

Look for me on TV, I'll be the guy dead in the stands from heat stroke.

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know... it's awful.

In truth, the cameras are on platforms that can be raised. They consistently only raise them about half way. I have no idea why.

Naperville seems to be the lowest... but almost all of the angles are too low for MLS games.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How hot is it supposed to be there today?

I'll be honest - aside from the field - the stadium looks okay on TV - good crowd noise, stadium looks full.

The fake grass even looks kind of real - it's just all the lines all over it that makes it look like a craps table. That plus it attracts heat. If they sold alcohol there, I imagine it would be a lot more tolerable.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    thats ok...I wouldn't mind watching Josh Wolff and DaMarcus Beasley play soccer on a gravel parking lot.

13. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High of 88... supposedly. Some t-storms predicted. Unfortunately, the 3:00 matches don't draw like the 7-7:30PM ones. Don't know how it is other places, but Chicagoans seem to be serious weather weenies. I go rain or shine... but some people say, "3:00 in July! Too hot! I'm not going!" or "I don't want to stand in the rain!" Oh well. We'll see. It was a capacity crowd for the DC match.

If it does rain... watch how the field drains though. You'll barely be able to tell. That's one positive about the stuff.

14. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    it looks awful. better than the previous games shown from there earlier, but still, terrible.

is this the second or third game shown from chicago this season?

15. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium is near-full which looks nice, but I can;t tell whats happening on the field because of the camera angle. When its near the far sideline its really unseeable. Plus, you'd think nine or ten MetroStars games in a row would be enough.

Why not Burn @ Rapids?

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Honestly, half the time I have to remind myself I am not watching MSG.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, except for those pernicious football lines, I think it surprisingly looks great.

And the Barnburners are making some noise via the drums and some chants so there's even a little atmosphere to boot.

18. viperdiablo21

viperdiablo21 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    napreville looks ok today, only thing sucking is the metrostars

19. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    The game looked really good, except for the field. But everything else was all we can ask for, very few empty seats, great atmosphere and a good game with stars on both sides.

The stadium didn't look too different from a SSS.

20. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    The ball bounces and skids really unnaturally, and the underlayer seems to give too much for a lot of close control.

That said, it's a perfect field for DMB, who always keeps the ball, and his feet, moving. The way he skinned Petke alive on that play in the second half was really something, but I'm not sure it would be so easy on grass.

21. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I thought the game looked pretty good except for the football lines. I think I heard that they might be permanent.... did anyone else here that? haha

anyway, the play of the game was excellent, which is the most important aspect and there did seem to be a pretty good crowd.

22. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    The turf is terrible, I walked on it and felt it and it is horrid. However, the atmosphere in Naperville(hometown bias) is great. The bars are right there, everyone hangs out before and after the game. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't feel like a professional soccer game. The stadium makes it feel like a high school or college game. Naperville is a great place though, I loved growing up here.

23. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    HAHA, many times i heard that!!

I also loved Edwards' "(so and so) is in a pasture of plastic"

24. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    exactly what my dad said today after I took him to the game:

"great skill by the players, but it didn't feel major league because of the NCC factor"

25. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought it was ridiculous when my brother had to play in the IHSA tourney there, but now its frickin' National team players who have to play on it.

I really do sympathize with the Barnburners and other Fire supporters. You guys deserve better.