Soccer Players with Ponytails Banned in Iran

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Father Ted, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&e=2&u=/nm/20041028/od_nm/ponytails_dc

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Probably best for their football development in the long term. We don't want yet another country of footballers concentrating more on their image than the football. I applaud them.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should probably just slap a swastika on their arms while their at it, the fun police are out to get you. "Sir you are laughing and you are reaching you laughing limit of 3 minutes per day or the nasty bearded one's will get you... MUHAHAHAHHAA!" So sad, the repression of cultures, ideas and individuality is nothing more than the attempt of creating robots out of a young society that is desperate for something new. I'm shocked they still allow all this crap to slide by, how is it humans reach this point? Oh and God bless the free...

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's not about football. It's about a nation preserving its culture.

Can't imagine why this is noteworthy to anyone outside Iran. Not only is the league too insignificant to have any real effect on job opportunities for footballers, it's... their... (Iran's) business. Repeat as often as necessary.

But while we're condemning other cultures/nations: I've had five jobs, ranging from student-level spending money to adult-level income, where I had to shave my (well-kept, in case the question arises) beard. In every case, it was a matter of creating a clean-cut image that Joe and Jane Sixpack found appealing. Sound familiar?

There are probably fewer than 30 bearded US senators, representatives or governors all told. I'm not sure that either major party has even nominated a bearded presidential candidate since at least WWII. Should we accept the American public's fascination with/negative opinions about facial hair while condemning someone else's culture for doing a similar thing? Should we suggest that it ought to matter in government but not in football, or that individuals willingly bowing to public opinion/perception (such as the senator who might want to grow a beard but does not because his constituents might disapprove) is somehow more noble than making it official policy? Nah.

Pot, meet kettle. And Ralph Reed's pimple-free mug is the most frightening thing this side of the late (and equally clean-shaven) Jeffrey Dahmer.

5. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This is big news?

Daniel Passarella did the same thing when he first took over the Argentine national team. In fact, he went a few steps further and stated that no player with long hair, ear-rings and homosexuals would don the sky blue and white shirt of the national team.

I wish from time to time the Korean national team would curb its Beckham-wannabe players from sporting the most f***ed up hair.

6. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

About damn time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if this continues any longer we will be featured in that gay football teams thread on WR, then again mustaches are also considered gay by some even the manly mucho iranian mustaches, half of iran's 98 team had mustaches, the current team has no mustached players.. where did we go wrong? we need mustached players. P.S daie played better with a mustache.

7. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    it looks as though they are just jumping into each other
    are they even playing football

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's another stupid idea by IFF overall but It got nothing to do with long hair. They just want some players to focus on their game instead of their looks. Like these metrosexual Iranian players:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

As a big ******** you to the IFF, all Iranian nationals should sport a rainbow afro wig, Mr. T gold medallions, and wear those giant Mickey Mouse gloves.

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thumbs up to Iran. Who needs Cinderella sissy boys anyway?

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That would make them look like your average South Korean football fan.

12. napalm_dave

napalm_dave New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    New Orleans
  13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    So on one hand, you're stated the official ban on long hair and sculpted beards is purely an Iranian issue and really doesn't amount to a hill of beans outside Iran. On the other, you've argued that the unofficial American distaste for facial hair somehow deserves condemnation.

Which is it? Why is it OK for Persians to literally demand facial hair, but not OK for Americans to show distate for it?

Sachin

14. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Facial hair on men or women Sachin? Or same difference?

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hey, if a woman wants to wear facial hair, more power to her. Just don't expect me to date her.

Sachin

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Shave and let not shave. I fully agree.

17. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Still have a chapped anus about my Ajax jab, eh. What a giant vagina. :D

Move the ******** on, boy.

18. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Chapped anus? Is that a delicacy over there?

Anyway, no... just ridiculing you and everything you stand for. Same old, same old.

19. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA

you're gay

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not sure how you arrived at your conclusion. Let's go back over the only section of my post that you could possibly be referring to. I'll bold my intent to eliminate any confusion.

*- inserted for your benefit. But I really think you understand already.

I made an observation which (up to that point) had not been made: Yes, Iran has an official policy wrt footballers and facial hair, but we have a similar, tho unofficial, policy favoring clean-shaven faces in certain professions. The big picture, Sachin, is that while the latter policy has not received unfavorable pub in a BigSoccer thread or anywhere else, the former policy has. If I've argued that anything deserves condemnation, it's the double standard.

I'm not terribly fond of either approach. Sure, I'd like to see Americans change their views on facial hair, especially since so many bearded men work honorably in many trades and professions. I admit that I don't care what Iran does, as I don't live there, and have no plans (or chance) of a footballing career this late in life. But, again, I didn't start a thread with the thinly disguised (and mistaken) notion that this country is somehow above imposing appearance codes on those citizens it considers to be role models, while other countries are not.

Hope this helps.

21. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    I read that they decided to repeal it for national team players, so I guess it just applies to the domestic league for now. Considering that the two are not mutually exclusive, I'm still not sure how this policy affects the follicle state of players who play both in the domestic league and for the national team. Stay tuned for more fascinating updates.

22. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    What makes you think she wants to date you?

23. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Not to be an ************** but who gives a crap what the iranians do they are one of the most oppresive governments in the world if it was up to them we would all be praying to allah all the time while our women wore head to toe sheets