Soccer Players and Dengue Fever (AKA West Nile)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SoccerScout, Aug 24, 2002.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Im not sure you folks remember last years Rumours that Romario had Dengue Fever which is know here in the US as West Nile Virus, spread by Mosquitoes.

It was an epidemic in Brazil last year and many soccer players got it and others in the popluation died. I forget the numbers but it was somewhat alarming and Brazil went to war against it.

The US now is under West Nile alert and I wondered if the two were the same virus and as it turns out I found out that indeed they are as stated here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepage/17148.htm

"Dengue fever, or West Nile fever, is a mild viral illness transmitted by mosquitos which causes fever, rashes and muscle and joint aches. Treatment includes rehydration and recovery is expected. A second exposure to the virus can result in Dengue hemorrhagic fever, a life-threatening illness. "

Keep those repelents on you!

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. The warning is a good idea.

I'd no idea West Nile Virus and Dengue Fever were related.

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Their not.

Dengue is a hemmoragic fever.
    West Nile is a form of encephalitis, which can atatck the brain.

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Nile and Dengue along with Yellow fever are all related flaviviruses. West Nile causes fevers, which in some cases can lead to encephalitis.

5. skyforge

skyforge New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Tucson, Arizona
    Since we're all pretending to be epidemiologists... :) ...and in the interest of the public health I went to the CDC web site and found this information:

Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever:

Q. What are the symptoms of the disease?
    A. The principal symptoms of dengue are high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea and vomiting, eye pain, and rash. Generally, younger children have a milder illness than older children and adults.

Dengue hemorrhagic fever is characterized by a fever that lasts from 2 to 7 days, with general signs and symptoms that could occur with many other illnesses (e.g., nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and headache). This stage is followed by hemorrhagic manifestations, tendency to bruise easily or other types of skin hemorrhages, bleeding nose or gums, and possibly internal bleeding. The smallest blood vessels (capillaries) become excessively permeable ("leaky"), allowing the fluid component to escape from the blood vessels. This may lead to failure of the circulatory system and shock, followed by death, if circulatory failure is not corrected.
    ---------------------

West Nile Virus:

Q. What are the symptoms of West Nile encephalitis?
    A. Most infections are mild, and symptoms include fever, headache, and body aches, occasionally with a skin rash on the trunk of the body and swollen lymph glands.

More severe infection may be marked by headache, high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, paralysis, and, rarely, death.
    ---------------------

[Required on-topic content: Neither West Nile Virus nor Dengue Fever has yet had any significant impact on the growth and development of soccer in the United States.]

6. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    maybe Bush could use this as an excuse to go to war claiming it to be biological warfare. i would like to nominate the country AMERICA. that evil country is full of terrorists and even train people to commit terrorist attacks on on themselves so they can go and attack some other defensless country.

Oooh those evil scumbags