Soccer Periodicals

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by PasadenaBlitz, Nov 10, 2004.

1. PasadenaBlitz

PasadenaBlitz New Member

Mar 17, 2003
    My grandmother wants to get me a magazine subscription for Christmas. Last year she gave me Reader's Digest (ohboy), but this year she's letting me choose. I was curious if there were any weekly or monthly soccer magazines out there. I don't know of any, but I haven't looked at magazines for about 10 years. Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks, and mods, move this if it's in the wrong place.

2. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
  3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Well, FourFourTwo in terms of sheer quality is the best out there right now. But you have to be a big fan of the British game to really appreciate it. I got a subscription back in 01, and decided not to renew when I moved down here. Superb articles, but I just haven't been into as I was back then.

Soccer America is great, but isn't as half as indepth as FourFourTwo is. Websites like Bigsoccer have pretty much made it redundant for hardcore fans like us, but it's nice to see a quality bi-weekly devoted to US Soccer.

World Soccer is the most comprehensive rag out there. Covers nearly every single league on the planet with extensive tables and statistics along with FourFourTwo calibre writing.

Those are pretty much the big 3 you'll find at places like Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc. There are other, less well known titles like The Soccer Post and 90 Minutes, which also cover the American game. 90 really doesn't have a set distribution schedule, though. It seems to fluctuate between monthly and seasonal.

Oh yeah, and a poster here named Andy Mead runs his own Fanzine out of North Carolina called the Emerald City Gazzette, but I don't know if he's still doing it.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Hm, I just wonder if Grandma's expecting to shell out $75 for a monthly mag. Readers Digest costs more like $10.

5. quakesfan209

quakesfan209 Member

Nov 17, 2004
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hello,
    i subscribe to both soccer america and 90:00. they are both great mags and differ greatly in their style and look.
    you can check them both out at:

www.socceramerica.com

www.90soccer.com

merrry christmas!

robb

6. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    SoccerAmerica is not a monthly magazine. I think they publish 20 issues/year. In addition, you get daily newsletters.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    soccer america was the only real source of information about soccer in this country prior to the internet boom...

try following wcq 1990 without it.....

getting match features and player profiles in a leagueless country....wow!!

think soccer america was every two weeks....